Aging Love

I smiled at him, his forest-green eyes boring into mine, and an involuntary smile sprang to my face. I used to never smile. I reached to set a long raven lock behind his ear, and as I placed it there delicately, thin, slanting red lines on the back of his neck caught my eye and pain flashed across my face.

Caif saw my alarm, and he reached out to stroke my cheek, eyes twinkling when he saw my face smooth. 'It's ok,' he told me gently, and gave that soft, sweet smile reserved for me and me alone. "I don't feel it anymore, Jules. It doesn't hurt. Don't fret." Don't fret. I loved when he talked like that, so different from everyone around us. Then again, he was different-and so was I.

I stared at his eyes and into their mesmerizing depths, at his perfectly chiseled face just inches from my own, and I acted impulsively. My mother had always told me I was impulsive. Here was the proof.

It wasn't like we'd never kissed before. I remembered that first kiss well. But this time, as my lips crushed his passionately, it was different. My hands twisted in his long black hair so like my own, and his arms wrapped around my waste and pulled me closer, closer. Our hips ground together and our breathing was loud, hearts pounding. We weren't acting like two responsible high school kids. We were acting like two kids about to do something very irresponsible.

Caif was the one to finally break away. His eyes shone with excitement, but, as I looked on in disappointment, gradually dimmed. "Well," he murmured, brows raised. "What brought that on?"

"What brought that on?" I asked, expression defiant. And then I sang. It seemed so clichéd to do that in real life, but Caif always told me that he loved to hear me sing more than anything else in the world, so occasionally, as if I were my own High School Musical, I sang to express my feelings.
Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly flow the days

I stopped mid-verse and gave him a pointed stare which he ignored. "It's happening, Caif," I told him. "I won't be with you forever. I want to enjoy the time I have." Seeing him start to protest, I interrupted. "I know," I said wearily. "I'm only fifteen. Some people would say I could be with you forever. I know better. Your age process has already started to slow. How am I supposed to be with you when I'm ninety and you don't like a day over thirty?" I was embarrassed to be blinking away sudden tears. I hardly ever cried, either.

Looking at Caif, I saw his face, so full of concern and care, and I knew I never wanted to see another face. None could replace him.

"Sweet," he whispered. "Julia. I love you and I will always love you. And...somehow...I'll find a way. I'll make you live like I do. I won't lose you, Jules. I won't." By the end of Caif's speech, his face had approached mine again. But now it was his move.

Gently, lovingly, he pressed his lips against mine. This kiss was more loving, more...meaningful. Feeling his lips against mine, my fears calmed, replaced with assurance. He wouldn't let me grow old and withered while he stayed young and fresh. He would save me, somehow.

As one we reclined on the wide sofa, our heads resting inches apart, identical midnight-black hair mingling. I was almost asleep when I felt him brush a stray strand of hair back into its' place. "I love you, Julia," he said softly.

"I know," I replied sleepily, and the warmth of his smile lulled me back to rest.

Aelia said...
Jun. 19, 2010 at 8:34 am:
Very nice story! Reminds me a lot of Twilight, though...

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 19, 2010 at 1:27 pm :
Don't worry, you're not out of the loop-it's something I made up.  Do you want me to go into specifics or no?

Robsessed said...
Jun. 18, 2010 at 11:24 pm:

I really really really liked this story. It was very intriguing and it left me wanting more. I felt like this was a teaser to a novel, which I would buy.

Also, you commented on my piece, Choice. I wanted to respond to it, but not on my page because I didn't want to give anything away. The last line was "kind of" a Twilight reference. In that series, it takes 3 days to transform into a vampire. So, I wanted it to be a little cliffhanger so to speak. I wanted to make it where Twilight fa... (more »)

Jun. 19, 2010 at 7:49 am :
Yeah, it does.  And I actually am a Twilight fan, but I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention.

Robsessed replied...
Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:33 pm :

don't worry, I'm not going to take your Twilight Fan status away or anything cause it was really subtle! LOL

please check out my new piece, which is the first chapter, Summer Storm: A Twilight Continuation / Spin- Off and comment/review. It may seem a lot like Twilight, but the main storyline is going to be a lot different.

Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:47 pm :

Lol, glad I still have got my status:)And sure I'll check it out.

P.S. Just thought you'd like to know, in case you don't already--someone who, quote, "does not understand the awesomeness of twilight" is a twidiot:)

Robsessed replied...
Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:08 pm :
I actually haven't seen or heard that term before. But I have heard of TwiHaters.

Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:07 pm :
Yeah, there's a lot of those at my school.  But there was this website I went on a long time ago with all these twilight terms, but the only one that stuck was twidiot:)

thoughtfulsoul said...
Jun. 18, 2010 at 11:20 pm:
That was beautiful! When I was reading it I felt like I was Julia and I found myself yearning for Caif. I am really interested in finding out why he can't age. I hope your novels get published, because I want to read them. Post more if you can because this sounds like a good story

Jun. 19, 2010 at 7:51 am :
Thank you!  And I may post more, Ijust don't know when.

krzykrys said...
Jun. 18, 2010 at 10:10 pm:
this was really great! the way everthing was set up. . i can totally imagine this in a book. keep it up! oh and thanks for looking at my work, im glad to know i found another way to write.

Jun. 18, 2010 at 10:21 pm :
Thank you!  And your piece was amazing.  You don't need dialogue for a good story.

jaredwriter19 said...
Jun. 18, 2010 at 7:32 pm:
That was amazing! I'd love to read more - is it from a book you're writing? And thnx for reading mine :)

Jun. 18, 2010 at 7:42 pm :
Thank you, and you're welcome!:)It's from a book that's sort of in my head, I only typed up this and part of the first chapter which is posted on here.

Naveen said...
Jun. 18, 2010 at 2:23 pm:
Its really nice.  :)

Jun. 18, 2010 at 5:53 pm :
Thank you:)

writinggal92 said...
Jun. 18, 2010 at 12:23 pm:
i love this piece!! i am in love with your characters and the detailed way you describe every thing! keep writing! it was amazing!!!

Jun. 18, 2010 at 12:46 pm :
Thank you!  Yeah, I like writing in detail.  I'm really glad you liked my piece!

givemetherapy said...
Jun. 17, 2010 at 10:22 pm:
so, i'm basically in love with your writing style. i love that you have the ability to create really strong characters. please never stop writing:)

Jun. 18, 2010 at 6:23 am :
Thank you so much!  That was really nice of you.  I'm glad you like my style and my characters.  Thanks so much for commenting!:)

annexgrey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 17, 2010 at 6:09 am:

This is really good!

I too, had originally thought it was a bit Twilight-y, but after reading the basic storyline in your explanation to Maya, I think it was, I'm really into the story. 

Please do write more! Now I'm dying to find out what happens.

You're definitely talented :)