Bobble Heads | Teen Ink

Bobble Heads

By serendipity_reverie GOLD, San Marino, California
serendipity_reverie GOLD, San Marino, California

Laugh until we think we'll die, barefoot on a summer's night, nothin new is sweeter than with you.

I can tell he wants to talk to me. His mouth his open in that awkward way, and his hand poised as if it is about to touch mine. I turn my head toward the wall and pretend to ignore him. After a moment, the bell dings, and the doors open. He raises his eyebrows at me politely… is he going to ask me my name, my phone number? He walks around me as he exits our room. The room where we first met. I glance at his back.

I smile at him as he extends his hand. I taste his name in my mouth, the word sweet on my tongue. He tastes my name, repeats it, and smiles nervously. His hand is cool. Not clammy, but just refreshingly cool. His lips are moving now, forming words that organize themselves into sentences that organize themselves into paragraphs. I don’t hear him. I just watch. Watch his brown eyes with green speckles as he laughs, his smile as he relaxes, I study him until I could ace any test he gives me.

He’s sitting next to me now, his elbows resting carefully on his knees. I can comprehend his words now. They make sense. He looks relatively interested in what I have to say. I smile. He towers over me and tucks my hair behind my ear. His lips move to say something like, Warm butter. That’s what I am with you, Jake. Warm butter. I melt when you ask me to, bend when you smile, turn into a puddle when you laugh, become stone solid when you accidentally yell at me.

Our fingers are intertwined now, his thumb rubbing my palm. It tickles. I shiver and he raises his eyebrows just like he did the first time we met. I smile shyly and he laughs, running his callused fingers along my jawbone. He yawns and reaches up to the sky. I smile as his arm coils around me again. You send shivers up my spine, Jake. I swear.

We are closer than ever before. Now he is leaning in. Closer. Closer. Closer. He is millimeters away from my face. I close my eyes. Its over before it started. I open my eyes and glance at him. Monarchs are dancing around in my belly, and the world moves underneath my feet. A black curtain falls over my vision rapidly in succession. He accuses me of being a flirt. I smile coyly. He laughs that Prince Charming laugh. The one that I love.

We exchange the three words that I have been waiting for since I first met him. He leans in and presses his lips to mine. My mouth is numb, my mind is blank. I am reeling. I pull the rope to the black curtain and it falls over my eyes once again. I stay there, in a blackout, until my cue line is said and the curtain is pulled up. I bobble my head up and down, I am a collectable toy.

His face is a tomato, his voice is thunder. Warm droplets fall down my cheeks, and I try to get rid of them before he notices. He certainly does notice. Slap.

I am in my bed. My head hurts. My vision feels like I need glasses. I struggle to rise. I am restrained by invisible rope. I notice a plum growing on my knee. A hyena’s laugh escapes out of my mouth.

My parents want me to talk. Talk to a circle of people that all have problems. It was only one time. The black curtain fell for too long, so? Who cares if I missed my cue line?

Flowers are sitting in a vase. A placard rises out of them. I know what it will say. I know what name I will taste if I examine the paper. I pick the flowers up and toss them in a bin.

He begged me to forgive him. “No.” I uttered. He raised his eyebrows, also surprised that I am not a collectable toy.

I really got inspired from my friend tell me about her sister's best friend who was involved with dating abuse for awhile. It really made me want to speak out against this issue.

. said...
on May. 30 2012 at 8:51 pm
it was pretty good:)

on Jun. 3 2011 at 10:40 pm

That's kind of what I was aiming for, so thanks! I was trying to make it seem like things can change from good to bad really quickly. I hope that it came across that way, not like it was rushed. But thanks for your feedback!

Adaya BRONZE said...
on Jun. 1 2010 at 9:29 pm
Adaya BRONZE, Traverse City, Michigan

" writing is a struggle against reality while photography is a struggle against the silence. "

in your authors comment you didnt seem to have experianced it yourself but i have to say, you pretty much nailed it. the emotion and relations are pretty much exact. very well writin. please keep writing, you have great voice(: 

on Jun. 1 2010 at 4:15 pm
sparkofheart GOLD, Plymouth, Minnesota

"Always" - Severus Snape

wow that was really cool great job

on May. 31 2010 at 1:12 pm
Elle_phant SILVER, Barnsley, Other

"I love you more today, than yesterday but less than tomorrow." <3
"Lifes a climb, but the veiws great." :)
"Laundry is the only thing that should be seperated by colour." <3
"Age shouldn't matter if the pair truly love each other." :)

It's beautiful. I like all the descriptive & emotive language you used. I love it.

Catiestar GOLD said...
on May. 28 2010 at 5:55 pm
Catiestar GOLD, Clayton, New Jersey

You be the anchor that keeps my feet on the ground, I'll be the wings that keep your heart in the clouds <3

This is fantastic! I love the figurtive language and the imagry. You've got such a talent.

on May. 27 2010 at 7:02 pm

thank you! I really appreciate that.

on May. 27 2010 at 7:02 pm

Thank you guys so much!! I really appreciate all your compliments and your constructive critisism... thanks to you guys my writing will be able to take a step forward! THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I will most definitely read all your stuff, and I will rate it too! Thanks again!

on May. 27 2010 at 4:43 pm
once_a_redhead SILVER, Lady Lake, Florida

"love is somethin' we all feel even if we don't know that we do!!"

i lov eit and wat it stands for!! dont let people rule you ever!!

miekydakfjdl said...
on May. 27 2010 at 6:24 am
this was very good! the plot happened fast, but it was very interesting going from the angle of her as a 'collectable toy.' I'm glad she finally stood up for herself in the end.

on May. 26 2010 at 3:13 pm
have_a_heart GOLD, Jackson, New Jersey

Parting is all we know of heaven and all we need of hell.

Veryy good:] I loved thatt.

on May. 23 2010 at 7:33 pm
she-is-a-witch, Towson, Maryland

Beautiful writing. 

It seems all the plot happened in a second.

on May. 22 2010 at 4:08 pm
Magic-Fishbone-13 BRONZE, London, Other

The hardest thing to do is watch the one you love, love someone else in return.

So much emotion, good for you for speeking out.

5 satrs :D

on May. 22 2010 at 12:55 am
TanazMasaba GOLD, Dhaka, Other

"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's Heaven on Earth."

---William W. Purkey

so in love with dis one! n im on da same page with u