EC-AM=Heartbreak Chapter 21 | Teen Ink

EC-AM=Heartbreak Chapter 21

By TeamJacobArchuleta ELITE, Chicago, Illinois
TeamJacobArchuleta ELITE, Chicago, Illinois

He's the one I call in the middle of the night. He's the one who makes everything alright. He loves me with no regret...I just haven't found him yet.

9:30 a.m.
Evalynne’s House

I awoke with an exhausted yawn, stretching my arms up above my head. For a moment I felt at peace, completely relaxed. But then the memory of what happened yesterday came flooding back into my mind, and my muscles tensed up. I envisioned Nina and my dad together. Looking deep into each other’s eyes, completely infatuated with one another. Saying “I love you” to each other. Kissing each other.
Before I knew it, my entire body was quaking with rage. So I took a deep, cleansing breath, trying to rid myself of all this bottled up anger. I turned my head and glanced out my window, my gaze landing on the window looking into Will’s bedroom. His curtains were closed, so I couldn’t see into his house. But I didn’t have to see him to picture his kind, friendly face.
That’s when I remembered what happened between us yesterday. That’s when I remembered how safe and comforted I felt in Will’s strong embrace. That’s when I remembered that I really did have feelings for Will.
I sighed deeply, wanting nothing more than to be wrapped up in Will’s arms again. I knew that it was awful of me to feel that way considering I was back together with Cole. But the feelings I was beginning to have for Will were completely involuntary. I most definitely didn’t want to end up torn between two guys yet again. I knew better than anyone how horrible that could turn out.
My heart sank as I reminisced on last summer, and images of Ash and Cole filled my mind instantly. The memories it brought back were bittersweet. I had some amazing and wonderful and happy experiences with Ash and Cole last summer. But I also had some awful and heart wrenching and sad experiences.
Hopefully, I wouldn’t have to go through all of the awful, heart wrenching, sad experiences again.
I climbed out of bed and walked downstairs to get some breakfast. But once I reached the kitchen I realized that I wasn’t very hungry. Nothing in the refrigerator looked appetizing either.
So rather than eating, I poured myself a glass of orange juice. As I sat at the kitchen table, sipping my juice, Mom padded into the kitchen. I tried not to gasp when I saw her. She looked absolutely awful.
Her usually neatly combed hair was tangled and disheveled. Her face was free of any make-up, besides the left over streaks of mascara down her cheeks. She had dark bags under her eyes, making it look as if she hadn’t gotten any sleep last night. She was still wearing her robe, which was cinched tightly around her thin waste. It was like she was a completely different person.
“Mom, did you get any sleep last night?” I asked, my concern evident in my voice.
“Some,” she replied, her voice flat and emotionless.
“Well you look exhausted.” I informed her. “Why don’t I make you some coffee?”
“I’m not thirsty,” she said fixedly. This was very out of character for her. Every single morning for as long as I could remember, Mom drank a cup of coffee. That had become a routine for her. She never skipped out on her daily cup of coffee.
“How about I get you a bagel then?” I suggested. I knew she wouldn’t accept my offer, but it was worth a try.
“I’m not hungry either,” she told me, just as I’d expected.
“Fine,” I mumbled, hating every second of this. Seeing her in this state of fatigued depression was killing me. I just couldn’t stand it. And it made me despise Nina and my dad even more for causing it.
It just wasn’t fair. Mom was a great and amazing person. She didn’t deserve to be hurt like this. It wasn’t right. Why did bad things constantly happen to good people?
Mom sat down at the kitchen table, straight across from me, and stared blankly into space. She didn’t say anything, didn’t move a muscle, just stared. And out of nowhere, she began to cry. I bit my lip, feeling the tears beginning to well up in my own eyes. But I didn’t let them break loose. I had to stay strong for my mom.
So I fought back the tears, moved over a seat so that I was sitting next to Mom, and wrapped my arms around her. “It’s ok,” I told her in a soothing tone. “It’s all going to be ok,” I didn’t even believe what I was saying, but I hoped that she did.
The doorbell rang, distracting me from Mom’s lamentation. Gently, I pulled away from her tremulous body, which was hunched over the kitchen table, forming the shape of a question mark. Then I made my way over to the front door and opened it, only to find myself face to face with Cole.
“Hey,” he greeted me warmly with a bright smile. But as soon as he saw the dejected expression on my face, his smile evaporated. “What’s wrong?” he inquired.
“You were right,” I told him. “My dad really was cheating on my mom.”
His face fell, and he stepped inside the house, enclosing me in his muscular arms. “Oh, Evalynne,” he murmured, softly stroking my hair. I dissolved at the consoling sensation of his tender touch, bursting into tears.
“I can’t believe he betrayed us like that,” I whimpered.
“Don’t worry, I know you feel bad know, but things will get better soon. I promise,” he said. “Just relax, it’s going to be ok.”
I nodded, taking a deep breath. “Ok,” I replied, my voice wavering just a bit. “I believe you,”
He smiled weakly, and placed his hand on the small of my back, closing the front door behind us. Then we walked back into the kitchen. Except Mom was no longer sitting at the table. I figured that she went back upstairs when she heard the doorbell rang.
Cole and I sat down next to each other at the kitchen table. “So, how did you find out?” he queried.
“Well I was mad at him, so I accused him of having an affair. I didn’t actually think it was true. I was just angry, I barely even realized what I was saying. But he didn’t deny it. He said it was true…” I trailed off, the sting of more tears in my eyes. I took a deep breath, blinking them away.
His forehead creased as his eyes filled with empathy. “I’m so sorry,” he said to me. “I really am.”
I bit my lip, remembering what Will had said about apologizing for things that aren’t your fault. For some reason, this recollection made me smile. Will was able to make me smile, even when things were at their worst. He was always able to make me smile.
“What’re you so happy about?” Cole wondered aloud, noticing my grin.
“Oh, it’s nothing. I just thought of something funny.” I told him.
“Like what?” he asked.
“Nothing, just forget it, it’s nothing.” I said. I didn’t want him to find out about Will. Not when I was having these mixed feelings about him. Feelings that seemed a lot like potential love.
He eyed me quizzically, but didn’t question me any further. “Whatever,” he replied, shrugging it off.
“So, why did you come over here in the first place?” I asked him, trying to change the subject.
“I just wanted to let you know that I talked to Kristy. I told her that she had no right to be mad at you, because she doesn’t even know full story. So she apologized and wanted me to come over here and ask if you’d forgive her. She didn’t want to ask you herself because she was afraid you’d still be mad at her.”
“Of course I forgive her, and I’m not mad at her either.” I replied, just grateful to have my best friend back.
He grinned, “I knew you’d forgive her. You’re too nice of a person to hold a grudge against her.”
I nodded, “Guilty as charged,” We both laughed lightly, and I glad for the positive change of mood.
The doorbell rang yet again, and I strolled over to answer it, with Cole following closely behind me.
“Hey,” Will said when I opened up the door. Immediately, my heart sped up. This wasn’t good. Cole couldn’t find out about Will.
“Will,” I greeted him with an uneasy grin. “What are you doing here?”
“I just wanted to check on you, and see how you’re holding up. I know that you were really upset yesterday night.” he told me. Wow, he was really a good friend. It was so sweet of him to come over here and check on me. But couldn’t he have came after Cole left?
“Thanks, I’m doing ok.” I informed him. His eyes landed on Cole, who was standing behind me. I didn’t want to look up at his face. I knew that he would just look confused, suspicious, and possibly jealous.
“So this is your boyfriend?” Will inquired, looking at Cole, and then back at me.
“Yes, I am.” Cole answered for me. “And who are you?”
“I’m Will.” he replied. “I just moved in next door.”
Cole nodded impassively. “And you and Evalynne are friends?” he queried.
“Yeah,” I loved how calm and casual Will was about everything. Nothing like Cole, who was clearly annoyed with Will’s presence.
“I see,” Cole uttered, eyeing Will’s hair disdainfully. “Well, you came here to see if Evalynne was ok, and now you know she is, so maybe you should get going.” I bit my lip, grimacing at Cole’s rudeness.
But Will didn’t seem to notice. Either that, or he really didn’t care that Cole didn’t like him. “Yeah, I guess you’re right.” he replied, his voice just as cool, calm, and collected as before. “I guess I’ll see you later,” he said to me. Then he turned around and left, with Cole slamming the door shut behind him.
“I don’t like that guy.” Cole stated.
“Really? I couldn’t tell.” I remarked sarcastically. He didn’t respond though. He just stood there and clenched his fists, looking angry. “Well you have no reason not to like him.” I continued. “Will’s a really nice guy, and besides, you just met him. How can you possibly have anything against him?”
“I just don’t like him, ok?” he shot back, still fuming. Yep, I was right. This definitely wasn’t good.

Author's Note: Soooo Cole's not so fond of Will lol...are you?

Soooo Cole's not so fond of Will lol...are you?

samwich7 said...
on Nov. 11 2011 at 5:54 pm
samwich7, No, New York
I like Will. He should get rid of the blond streak, but he's a great person. And Cole has no right to talk to him like that. No right. I like Will, almost as much as I liked Ash. ALMOST. P.S... Ash's ghost has been staying out of the picture since Will came along?

on Oct. 31 2010 at 7:21 pm
freewriter_123 SILVER, Miramar, Florida

"Whoever said nothing was impossible never tried slamming a revolving door." ;)

I am totally and comletly 100% in LOVE WITH WILL! If she wont date him I will

TuffGurl said...
on Sep. 28 2010 at 3:39 pm
hate will, don't love cole. but poor cole! in the middle AGAIN!

Addiekins said...
on Sep. 21 2010 at 3:39 pm
Addiekins, Ukiah, California

Are you there? I cannot hear what you say in response. Or maybe the silence is just you listening

The more i find out about Will the more i like him. Evalynne totally doesnt even deserve him and its weird to see Eva and Cole together at the table being completely lovey and boyfriend girlfriendy. Im just not used to it at all.

on Aug. 21 2010 at 12:49 am
HippieNamedAnna PLATINUM, Kansas City, Missouri

Let It Be-The Beatles
Music is the only thing that makes sense any more-Me
Make love, not war-a bunch of people
Roses are red, Violets are blue, I have five fingers, The middle one's for you-Me :)

i only like him when hes in his sweet romantic kind mood

on May. 15 2010 at 2:11 pm
Lost-In-Life GOLD, Whitby, Other

It's never to late, if it weren't for the last minute many things would never get done!

Don't like Will alot, just a little.

on May. 13 2010 at 9:28 pm
YoureCrazy GOLD, Loveland, Colorado

"Laugh, it keeps the world from falling apart"

im totally fond of Will...haha

on May. 12 2010 at 3:28 pm
feartheuntypical GOLD, Nelson, Other

A writer is somebody for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people.
- Thomas Mann

I love Will!! He is so cool! Cole is just jealous and thinks that he will try and steal Evalynne.