Lena's Choice, part one | Teen Ink

Lena's Choice, part one

April 30, 2010
By NinjaNina BRONZE, Dulles, Virginia
NinjaNina BRONZE, Dulles, Virginia
4 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver. Now which is more valuable?


It was a beautiful wedding. Everyone said so. Even I had cried at the ceremony. But the reception was a different story. There, as I was collecting my (fifth) piece of wedding cake and hoping my bridesmaid's dress would still fit, a cell phone fell at my feet. I saw my aunt Catie, dressed in black, with her wild red hair flowing freely down her back, run away. I looked at the phone. It appeared to be covered in gold leaf. On close inspection, it had the enscription "4 teh hawtest" written at the back.
I felt a hand on my shoulder, and heard a woman cough behind me. She was dressed in a pale pink shift dress, and her golden blonde hair was tied in a braid at her shoulder. "Excuse me," she said, "I believe that you've found my cell. My name's Victoria; if you look at the back, it says my name."
"But it just says '4 teh hawtest'. See for yourself."
Here, she laughed a nervous giggle. "Oh, that's just what my boyfriend calls me."
"Victoria!" I heard a voice call from the other side of the hall, "What are you doing, conning this girl out of my cell phone?"
"Yours?! It's mine! Mine, I say!", said another woman, coming from the opposite side.


The author's comments:
This is basically a modern-day retelling of the Judgement of Paris. I kind of got inspired by the Percy Jackson and the Olympians books, and by my love of Greek mythology. Enjoy!
Just for clarification:
Victoria = Aprodite (Venus)
Hera = June (Juno)
Athena = Min (Minerva)
Lena = Helen of Troy, but she serves as Paris in my story. The 'Helen' in my story is not Prince Paris, but the French president's son, who lives in Paris.