A Lost Cause | Teen Ink

A Lost Cause

March 9, 2010
By Anonymous

I’ve never honestly been one to believe in love. Fairytales? They don’t happen. Sure, some people are lucky, but in the long run, we all end up alone. Every last one of us. I mean take a look at me now. I’m sitting here on my bed, bawling my eyes out because I’d been dumped, for the first time in my life.

Truth be told, life’s been getting the best of me lately. Cara Forks, voted most likely to lead the most successful life in high school, because I never got distracted by boys. When everyone else was stressing over their dates to prom, I was writing extra essays to all of the colleges, extra credit, so to speak, so I could be accepted early. I never imagined I’d fall in love, or better yet have my heart stomped on. All I ever thought was “when am I going to get my acceptance letter? They have to have Business & Marketing majors or I’m out.”

But when I did get to college, and I went to my first class… I met Derick. The boy was absolutely gorgeous, with his black hair, and those gorgeous bright blue eyes, his strong build and killer smile. And I, with my glasses and frizzy red hair and freckles, never dreamed he’d look at me with any interest whatsoever, but he did.

He told me things I’d never heard, he gave me a future to look forward to with him, and when he ended it? I never expected it, honest, I didn’t. I thought we had been doing so well! I mean just last week, he’d told me he loved me! Maybe I had done something wrong, but regardless, it was over. And love? It was just some stupid concept, what is love exactly? It’s nothing other than a feeling for people who have nothing better to do with their lives.

I don’t need anyone, not friends, not a pet, and most of all, not a love interest. I’ve learned my lesson. No more distractions. I won’t deal with it. I’m absolutely… the doorbell rang at that instant.

I wiped my tears away, and opened the door smoothly to find myself face to face with Derick again. I pulled my robe closer to me, “what do you want, Derick?” I asked.

His hair, normally perfectly curled, was plastered everywhere to his face, he looked extremely pale, and stressed.

“Derick?” I asked again, this time worrying slightly more.

He gasped and said, “I need… your help, Cara.”

“What happened?”

“Invite me in, please,” he whispered.

I nodded and opened the door farther to let him in, he walked in and shut the door, “Cara, there’s something you need to know about me.”

“We just broke up, why do I need to know anything more about you, Derick?”

He shook his head, “I had to! You don’t understand, they will hurt you if they find me with you! They will probably try and kill you!”

“What are you talking about?” my voice raised, edging closer to hysteria. I couldn’t take seeing him in here again, it would… kill me.

“I… I’m… I haven’t told you something very vital about me.”

I stared at him quietly, “what is it?” I knew now was not the time to freak out.

He swallowed noisily, “I… am… part of an elite group of something like mind readers. We look in people’s minds for very important information regarding federal offenses, and if we deem it necessary, make them forget all about it. And well, there was this one case, where I was supposed to erase a person’s mind after finding out their information, but… they had been so brainwashed that if I had, there would be no part of them left! They would basically be a body without a mind, and--” he took a deep breath, “I couldn’t do that to them. So, I ran, and they’ve found me. They’re going to try and hurt you to get to me, and that’s why I broke up with you, Cara.”

I stared at him for a moment, and then giggled a little hysterically, “ha ha. Very funny, nice one, Derick. Now go back to your new girlfriend, okay?”

His face hardened, “I’m not joking, you are in imminent danger, because I can’t stay away from you.”

Tears rose to my eyes, “you evidently can, since you broke up with me about a week ago!”

He sighed, “I couldn’t take it anymore! I love you, Cara, don’t you get that? I know you think that we’ve never made sense together, but to me it makes perfect sense, please believe me?” He took a step closer to me, and kissed me softly, “please?”

I nodded hesitantly, and as he told me everything about the organization, and the fact that I would have to run away from my college, the only goal I had ever had in life was to be there. And I simply said okay, because you see, I am a lost cause. And he, is the Prince Charming I never believed in.


The author's comments:
I wrote this because I'm hoping someone will be inspired to write. When I first visited this website, and read someone's article, it inspired me to begin to write, and now I have a very long story in the making, as we speak. I know this may not be very good, and please place your comments below, but I've always loved to write, and I hope that people will realize that.