The Boy | Teen Ink

The Boy

February 6, 2010
By Ruth_Ann BRONZE, Sidney, Ohio
Ruth_Ann BRONZE, Sidney, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye.
-H. Jackson Brown, Jr.


I walk through the hallway, keeping my head high. It's not easy being the new kid in school, especially since it's high school and everyone knows each other. I feel out of place. I try to look ahead of me, but i occasionally catch people staring at me, eyes wide. It's not because I'm the new kid, They are staring at my face. Everything from jealousy to envy flash across their faces. I can see why every time I look in a mirror. They are staring at my delicate features, soft blue eyes with just enough edge to them, black hair that flows in curls just past my shoulders. That's all anyone ever sees. No one has ever cared about my personality, just that I'm pretty. I hate being pretty. At all my old schools the only reason anyone would date me was because they wanted to be the cool guy with the hot girlfriend. I wish someone,just once, would date me because they actually liked me. So far that's just a dream.
I slide into my seat right before the bell rings, signaling the start of first period. I stare at my desk toying with my hair. I don't want to look up, I can feel their piercing eyes staring at me. My new history teacher, Mr. Hillgarr, clears his throat.
"Class we have a new student." He points at me. "Maria, would you come up here?"
I stand up and start walking towards him. When I get beside him I stop and turn around.
"Class, this is Maria Monroe. She just moved here from California with her parents." Mr. Hillgarr says looking at his attendance sheet. He keeps talking, but I tune him out. I start looking at the other students. I examine their faces, trying to find something in their expressions. Nothing I haven't already seen. I feel a pang as I look into the eyes of a boy. This simple action brings butterfly's to my stomach. A tremor goes through my body as these new feelings overtake me. I can't take my eyes off him. He has brown eyes that twinkle when the light hits them at just the right angle and short brown hair. He is slender and tan. His cheeks are slightly red as he starts fiddling with his pencil, retreating from the small connection we just shared.
"You may take your seat Mrs. Monroe." Mr. Hillgarr finishes. I walk back to my seat. Throughout the remainder of class i stare at this boy. Every time I see his eyes start to slide towards me I take my eyes off him and hide behind my black curtain of hair.
"BEEP" The bell rings. I get up and start walking to the door. A foot catches my leg and I fall to the ground dropping my notebook. I look up to see a fairly pretty girl in a cheer leading outfit laughing.
"Whoops!" she says and walks away with a group of people laughing. My cheeks start burning, but I quickly get control of myself. I reach out to pick up my notebook when a hand comes down beside mine. I look up, it was the boy.
"Are you okay?" He asks concerned. He picks my notebook up and offers me his hand.
"Yeah I'm fine." I say grabbing his hand. When I do this it's like a current has been completed. It's like we flow together, like we belong. I see his face soften as the concern he had goes away. He smiles and pulls me to my feet. I smile too. He hands me my notebook.
"Hi." He says.
"Hi I say back in my melodious voice. I laugh. We start walking down the crowded hallway, side by side.