i'd walk a thousand miles... | Teen Ink

i'd walk a thousand miles...

By lcalks11 BRONZE, Fonda, New York
lcalks11 BRONZE, Fonda, New York

I was sitting in class dazing off like usual. Mr. Cowl was telling the same old social studies stuff when I heard a knock on the door. Principal Jones walks in with the most beautiful girl a guy could ever. She was tall, amazing eyes, tan, and skinny. As soon as I saw her I knew I had to get to know her.
Mr. Jones said “Class, this is Kate. She just moved here from Texas.”
My heart started pounding when Mr. Cowl told her to take the empty seat next to me. He said,” Lucas please help Kate with whatever she needs. “
My throat seemed to tighten when Kate walked over and I choked out “hello”. It seems from that moment on we were inseparable
The next period we had lunch together. Kate forgot her lunch money so I shared my lunch with her. At the end of the day I found out we live two blocks away. We walked home together. She was amazing! On that walk I found out we are exactly alike. She loves sport, skiing, being outside, swimming, and to be on the beach.
Kate never misses one of my basketball games. When I look into the stands she’s always on her feet clapping and cheering me on. Same for me, I love to go watch her soccer games.
Schools out and its summer vacation. Every morning Kate and I pack our lunches and walk to the beach holding hands together. One day Kate hugged me and burst into tears.
She said, “My doctor said I have cancer.”I was so scared to lose her but I have to be strong.
The rest of my days with Kate were different. She had to start treatment shortly after that day on the beach. She was weak and nauscious and started to lose her hair. Her mom said the only time she smiled when she was with me. I read her stories and told her jokes to keep her mind off her sickness. She loved it most when I made up silly dances and raps about our relationship. She worried about losing her hair but I told her she looked better without it.
As the days went by she became weaker and weaker and I felt like I could feel her pain, the treatments weren’t working. My mom said I needed to come home and get some sleep but I couldn’t leave her side.
She took my hand and squeezed it tight. I knew what she was trying to tell me. She said I love you. At that moment I knew I would walk a thousand miles just to find anything to save her.
I noticed the leaves were starting to change as I walked alone to the first day back to school. As I sit in social studies the memories came rushing back to me as I stared at the, once again, empty desk next to me.

on Mar. 8 2010 at 8:43 am
himynamesryanwhatsyours? SILVER, Christiana, Pennsylvania
this was sad your a good writer

SarClark BRONZE, NC, Connecticut
It's not that I don't like this story, but every story I read now ends in death for one of them, and the other person just says "I love you." Can't we get a happy ending somewhere??? Come on!!!

luella said...
on Feb. 9 2010 at 8:41 am
Wonderful story..keep writing...

ebyroad said...
GREAT story!

mcalkins said...
Great story, looking forward to read more.