Just Friends.

We sat there on the couch, my head against his arm. I loved him, more than I had loved anyone else in my life. Because we were so close, I ended up falling for him. He didn’t feel the same, at least not anymore. We were together for a while, held hands and stuff, but I ended our relationship three times, each time he still loved me more than I deserved, but I wouldn’t get back with him again after that. He said I was his first true love, and he would never forget me. We vowed to stay best friends for as long as we possibly could. That’s what we are now, but I never truly got over my feelings for him. While I thought about him, he was probably thinking of the other girl he liked. The two of them had gotten together a few weeks after I finally ended it with him, and I began to feel very jealous. He didn’t pay as much attention to me, hardly even talk to me some days; too busy talking to that girl. When he did talk to me, it was about her. It hurt like no tomorrow. I even went on a little “date” with the two of them, along with some friends. I didn’t want to go, but the girl offered and I wanted to meet her so I went. I felt ignored the entire time all of us were around, all he did was pay attention to her. That night I talked to him about, telling him how I felt about the night. After that, I began to feel depressed, and I began to loose all interest in my music, which I normally loved to listen to. All my songs reminded me of him, and it just hurt me more to listen to them. I felt useless and unloved. I stayed depressed for a couple weeks, not seeming like it would go away. At a time I even thought about death.
Eventually I came out of the little depressed stage, and began to look on the brighter sides of things. Since I knew we weren’t going to be together I wanted to support him and the new girlfriend, despite any jealous feelings I felt. A couple weeks later, he told me they broke up and he was pretty upset. I encouraged him that everything would be alright, but even though they weren’t together, he still thought about her and hopes they’ll get back together. I encourage him, knowing that’s all I can do. Looking past feelings and being the friend a person needs is a tough thing to do, but I try my best, for him. So as we sat there on the couch, together I thought to myself, “This is it. This is all we’ll ever be. Just friends from here on out…”

SwordGirl said...
Nice story. However, it is a relatively common plotline. I'd suggest either turning it into a longer story with greater description and characterization,  or coming up with a few unusual plot twists, thereby distinguishing it from similar stories. This is a really good beginning, though!

SmilingFool said...
I have one of those :P Good work!

PaperPlanes said...
I enjoyed this! I feel that you did an overall great job. If there's anything you could improve on, I would suggest you try to describe the setting more, and just make it a bit more lengthy for appeal. :)

SeaStorm This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 14, 2010 at 11:51 am
OMG you have the username I wanted to have! I hate you :)
But I totally agree!

sillyaardvarkabc said...
Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:47 am
This was very very good! But I think it would be EVEN BETTER if you made it longer. I would totally read it! Just add descriptions and stuff. Wow!

WriteForLove said...
Hey thanks for commenting on my work.
And I have to say I love this! I love the part about not listening to music because it reminds her of him because I've felt that way! Anyways, really good! Great job

Ebony_Rose said...
I like it... I'm not sure wether I want to cry bcuz she can't be with him or be happy because they are able to be friends... lol

phebbs said...
i feel like you just retold a part of my life story.. ahha. i love the mood of this and the way it sounds like somebody talking. this is reallllly good!

Nikiblue replied...
haha I'm glad you can relate. To tell you the truth I wasn't even writing this as a story. I was just writing this to get my feelings out about how I felt about my situation with my best friend haha

Emmy H. said...
It was pretty good, but be warned: you do LOTS of "showing" rather than "telling". But otherwise, I liked it!

crawfordkid This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow, that was really good! Keep it up!

BelmaH said...
Wow. This piece really touches on a key issue for not only teenagers but people of all ages. i especially liked the phrase, "hurt like no tomorrow," because that's exactly what it feels like. i do agree with Libby H that it could use a little more action, but overall this piece is very good. i think you have a talent for writing. Great job. ;)

Libby H. said...
i really loved it and could totally relate but the thing is that it could use less explainign and a little more action. like maybe you could share like actual present tense experiences with him instead of just telling us.

kayedin said...
i can totally relate to this.
i like it (:

Nikiblue replied...
thank you. its all true from my actual life haha

alchive This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 10, 2010 at 11:42 am
the emtions were so...there! you conveyed this so that everyone could relate- i love the style and how it flows.

YuukiCross replied...
this made me really sad but I feel like I've lived this before... Nicely written... GOOD JOB!!