The Leaf | Teen Ink

The Leaf

October 23, 2009
By sunshine_dazeys GOLD, Brattleboro, Vermont
sunshine_dazeys GOLD, Brattleboro, Vermont
13 articles 0 photos 4 comments

The girl walked slowly across the parking lot. She had a destination, she just didn’t know it. It was a beautiful autumn day, with a slight breeze blowing and ruffling the leaves on the trees. Occasionally some leaves would detach themselves, floating away, ready to end their lives and become part of the circle of life. Shimmering sunshine peaked out over the many brick buildings in the parking lot. The girl smiled to herself. She bent down and picked up a leaf. Looking around she put the leaf in her pocket and kept walking.
Across the parking lot was a bookstore. The girl decided to go there. However, when she opened the door, she was confronted with something other than books. She looked down and saw a bubbling brook. The brook had an aura about it, that seemed to be pulling the girl in. with her shoes off and her sleeves rolled up, the girl stepped into the brook. It was a couple of seconds before the pain hit her. Letting out a startled cry, she stepped quickly out of the flowing stream. It was then that she realized the brook was only bubbling because it was boiling.
Further down, there was a log lying across the bubbling brook. The girl crossed the log and stepped into a wood, so thick and dense, yet familiar looking. She felt like she’d been there before. The girl kept walking until she found a boy sitting on a log similar to the one she had just crossed. His back was to her but she could clearly see that he was crying. Hesitantly, she walked over and sat next to him. She suddenly remembered the leaf in her pocket. Looking at the boy’s sullen face, she pulled the leaf and handed it to him. They made eye contact for what seemed like forever before he finally grasped the leaf in his hand. After staring at it for a bit, he smiled and put the leaf in his pocket. Suddenly he reached for the girl’s hand. She was startled at first but then she returned his warm smile. Out of nowhere, the boy leaned over and kissed girl. Her hand found his face and gently wiped away the tears that lingered on his cheeks. The boy slowly sifted his fingers through the girl’s hair, silky and smooth, and radiant in the dappled sunlight that shined through the leaves. They both were lost in the moment, their minds tumbling over vast amounts of empty space that could only be filled with that kiss that lasted a lifetime.
When the boy opened his eyes, he found himself in a sunny, breezy parking lot. He reached in his pocket and pulled out a leaf, the leaf. Putting it back in his pocket with a determined look on his face, he headed towards the “bookstore”. His journey was not unlike the girl’s, except he knew where he was meant to be. He couldn’t wait to see the girl, sitting on that solitary log, waiting for him.


The author's comments:
This story was inspired by a dream.