Raindrops

I slam the door shut, breathing as heavily as though I’ve just run a mile. My heart is pounding so furiously I fear it will burst, my eyes blink furiously, keeping tears at bay, and my hands are trembling. I can feel it pulsing through me.
It is raging, fighting to get out of me; I don’t know what to do or where to go. I can hide it from everyone, but when I am alone, it catches up to me, tormenting and exhilarating me. The raindrops pound on the windows and lightning flashes, while thunder resounds inside my heart.
I throw myself onto the bed, ignoring the wind which has sprung up, inside and outside. It catches me, lifts me up, whips my hair around. I clap my hands over my ears in agony, trying not to give in to the longing that is so potent; I can almost taste it on my tongue. It nudges me tantalizingly, dancing just out of reach, and I clench my eyes shut in an effort to resist. But I can’t let it go, no matter how hard, how desperately I try—it won’t let me. Its grip on me is so tight, my breathing becomes shallow and I feel light-headed. Resistance is futile.
I leap from the bed, go to the glass doors, throw them open, and run out into the pouring rain. Within seconds, I am soaked, chilled to the bone, but flying, my bare feet hardly touching the ground and my long hair streaming out behind me. My feet carry me to a place I know well, a place I have gone to since I was very small. No one is outside in the rainy twilight, but I keep running, my heart pounding and my legs burning, not stopping even when I reach the woods.
It’s pulling me with a force stronger than a magnet, on and on, until at last, I reach the bridge and skid to a halt, mud spattering my clothes. The creek is swollen, and the freezing water splashes my feet. My heart is in my throat—I take baby steps onto the bridge, gasping for breath, water running down my face, shivering in the cold, my eyes fixed upon the figure waiting there.
He’s here—just as wet, just as cold, but here, smiling as I run to him and he enfolds me in his arms. It is then that my first sob escapes me. I know this can never be. But I am calm; a cloud of bliss surrounds me as we stand there on the bridge, arms around each other, for a long time, keeping the cold at bay while the falling raindrops glint like diamonds around us.

marina9 said...
Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:28 am
I've experienced forbidden love too :( It's really unfortunate but this was really beautiful. :) You're a great writer.

hazeleyes replied...
Thank you!! :)

Knifethrower said...
Jan. 9, 2010 at 12:26 am
wow. how did you do that? tell me the whole story between the lines. it was like forbidden magic.

hazeleyes replied...
whole story? why, it's forbidden love, of course =) there isn't much more to it

Knifethrower replied...
i totally understand. well done. i have felt that ...only one sided. haha. strange emotion though it's almost you fall on purpose just because you know you aren't suposed to.

hazeleyes replied...
hahahaha definitely

Knifethrower replied...
do guys even know how complicated they make our lives?

hazeleyes replied...
DX Probably not

Julia R. replied...
Haha, or how much control they have over our emotions?! Yeah. Probably not. (:

Julia R. replied...
Beautiful piece, by the way (:

hazeleyes replied...
Thank you! :)

DreamWriter15 said...
Wow. The description is so crystalline. The emotion is so powerful. Love it. Wonder why it isn't #1.

steff123456789 replied...
Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:15 am
caaaaause #1 is perfection

DreamWriter15 replied...
I saw nothing wrong with it!

KiraKira said...
Perfect, absoloutley perfect

riley.nicole!XD said...
break ups are so hard!
I express my feelings by writing it out too.
I feel like i get it out of me.
Perfect with the details.
Beautiful!
Good Job!
(:

Midnight-Rose said...
Oct. 15, 2009 at 10:41 am
This is a really good piece and I love the detail. Good Job!

SilverAngel said...
Oct. 11, 2009 at 11:26 am
I really like it! I had to read until the end to figure out what was going on though. Nice job! ☺☻♥

abaxter94 said...
Oct. 10, 2009 at 11:58 am
I like this one. However, I'm just trying to provide a little constructive criticism; I sort of lost interest in the middle. I think that if you could make it a little more clear what you are talking about in the middle it would be easier to keep the readers attention. Other than that, I think "Tantalizing" is an awkward word.
Good Job. =D

hazeleyes replied...
Yep, I think you're right, it was a bit vague. Thanks for reading it and commenting, it helps a lot!!!