He Doesn't Even Notice Me, or Does He?

By , East Haddam, CT
He doesn't even notice me. I mean, he does, but it's just a glance while he's scanning the surrounding area for a friend he’s been talking to. A girl friend, possibly soon to become his girlfriend.
On the first day of school I walked into my third class, wishing for the day to be over. The stress was too much, although it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
I was one of the first in the room, so I took a seat at the far end of the room. Once the room was full, I realized I was surrounded by strangers. Lower classmen I didn't even know. My second day in that class I took a seat on the other side of the room with students my age.
That's when I noticed him. He was so cute and when he smiled, my heart skipped a beat. Butterflies flapped their wings, trying to escape my stomach. I wanted to talk to him, but didn't know how. So instead of making conversation I asked for help.
“Um...Do you know how to do this? I’m so confused,” I started off, with a little laugh. I hoped he couldn’t hear the nervousness.
“Yeah,” he said and went on to explain what we had to do.
“Thanks,” I said quietly.
Everyday was the same. Almost. He sometimes asked me for help. I loved when he did that because I loved to hear his voice. I pretended not to like him too much. And I didn’t want to show him how desperate I was to have a friend in that class.
One day, a few weeks into class, he moved seats. He moved one seat over so there was one between us. I could have sat next to him, but I chose to sit in my normal seat. Is that what he wanted? To no longer have to talk to me? I wasn’t the prettiest girl, but he could have just stopped talking to me. It wasn’t like I had talked to him everyday and flirted. I had barely talked to him at all!
It went on like that for a few more classes, until one day he moved back. He talked to me first this time.
“Hey. Can you help me with this?”
I was angry with him so I just said, “Sorry. I don’t know how to do it. Ask the teacher.” I leaned on my arm, facing away from him. Yes, it was childish, and yes, it made my heart ache to do it. But somewhere inside of me, I felt it was the right thing to do.
Those gut instincts proved right, when the next class he sat next to me with a bright, lovely smile. “Hey. What’s up?”
“Nothing,” I said. “What’s up with you?”
We went on like that, making small talk. Finally, what I had been hoping and wishing for came true. At the end of class, he stopped me by grabbing my arm and letting everybody else out.
“I have a question.” He seemed a bit nervous. It made me nervous also.
“Yeah?”
“Um...” he cleared his throat. “I like you and I want to get to know you better. Will you go out with me this Friday?”
I couldn’t even speak. But the look on his face showed me that he was more nervous than I. “Sure.”
His smile lit up his face. I gave him my number, thinking, Maybe he did notice me after all, and walked out of the room composed, while inside I was jumping for joy.

Basketball4everr said...
May 11, 2010 at 9:45 am
lol i love it- its rly cute and reminds me alot of how i act wit a guy i like in class- lol i can relate- but i havent havd tht happy ending come true for me yet - good job- check out some of my stuff

EmelineM. said...

LOVE IT. ! Amazinqq

Lovejunkie123 said...
please write a part 2

PoetLaureate07 replied...
May 6, 2010 at 10:04 am

I agreeeeeeeeeeee

Reigyn replied...
Agree times 2!

Sheylaaa, SJR(: said...
Awwh(: cutesst love storyy ever(: && ihope u sehhd yehss!!? haha

duchesskrissy22 said...
Mar. 20, 2010 at 3:27 am
its sooo sweeet!!

manderz said...
i like ur writing style. this is such a sweet story! u should keep writing!

Ducklin said...
This is such a sweet story!! And it brought back memories because its similar to how i met my boyfriend! and the look you described that was in the boys face was in his face too! this is a wonderful story!!!

thewritingclarinetist said...
that was the sweetest story. i wish these kind of things happened in MY life! lol but please continue writing, you are so good at it!

writer girl said...
good job, it played a movie in my head... but it played in black and whiite..add more details!!!

nicolllle said...
aww. i wish i could write stories like this.

JohnyDeppLover123 said...
great job that was so cute! : ]

JohnnyDeppLover123 replied...
Aw so cute that I felt like reading it again!!! Absolutely a great idea and if only it happened with me...hahaha lol jk well anyways awesome job!!! <3

benzi said...
This is such a good/cute/romantic story! But I'm kinda confused...? How old are these people? Cuz im not very old....not even a teen yet and I kinda base this stuff on my age. Anyway, GREAT JOB!!!

SassieCassie322 said...
i really liked this and wish it would happen to me!
this is a cute story.

***Rain*** said...
This is what I wish would happen to me. I think that the title to this story is actually happening to me, though..... You told the story wonderfully and I felt like I was the girl. Either that or the girls best friend in the same classes.

krazyc1901This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 16, 2010 at 11:53 am
~sigh~ i wish this stuff wood happen to me! Ur a great riter and u shood definally rite more! Even i can relate to this, andi usually cant, theres ths guy, but i dnt think he wood sit next to me in a million years!!! good luck with all ur AWESOME riting!

soccercrazy said...
oh, how i wish that perfect love story would come true more often! you told it nicely, i could picture myself as if i was a student in class watching it take place.
good job! =]