The Big Three This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“What event triggered the Cuban missile crisis?”

My study buddy looked from his paper to me with those eyes – the eyes of Dorian Gray. “I guess Princeton Review doesn't see the irony of putting ‘trigger' and ‘missile crisis' in the same question,” he added.

I answered with a coquettish laugh and, of course, the correct answer: the Bay of Pigs invasion. I knew the answers to all these questions. It's not like I suggested the idea of a study session because I had difficulty remembering the events of the Kennedy administration.

“Who was the Soviet premier during the Cuban missile crisis?” His voice had a curious, musical ring to it like some character in a black and white movie you could never quite place.

“Khrushchev.” You would want to hear more of that voice … like the first ten seconds of a JFK speech, before the whole nasal rasp becomes too much.

“Spell Khrushchev.” Ha! My little Cape Cod golden boy was challenging me.

“The AP exam doesn't take off for spelling.” I looked him straight in the eyes – eyes that happened to be mere inches from mine. Thank you, Aphrodite, for making small tables at coffee houses everywhere.

“I want to see if you know it.”

I stared into the tangoing twirls of blue and silver in his eyes. They should have been strands of cotton candy, but something told me they were the current of an eddy waiting to pull me in. Once you're gone, you're gone.

“K.” But the whites of his eyes were crossed with little red veins.

“H.” Did he have trouble sleeping last night?

“R.” Or was he with her last night?

“U.” No, they broke up. He's single now, but blond boy's out of my league.

“S.” It's a challenge. Does that mean I should go for it?

“C.” I wouldn't know how.

“H.” Won't he just disappear from my life when the semester ends?

“E.” Not if I play this right.

“V.” What the hell, you only live once.

He stared at me for a moment, and I couldn't breathe but didn't care to; who needs oxygen when you have so much adrenalin in your veins there's barely room for blood?

“So close,” he said in a low voice. His voice is even better than his eyes. For a moment I wondered if he would lean in and kiss me. “But you forgot an H.”

Figures I would do something to ruin it. No kiss for me. I guess spelling the names of Soviet premiers isn't something guys consider a turn-on.

“This one's easy,” he said.

Something easy? It must not be kissing me.

“Name the Big Three.”

The Big Three … somehow my mind was clear on this one. It wasn't that the answer was clear, but my mind was clear like the kind of stream some obnoxiously perfect lyrical unicorn would drink from. For a mini-eternity I didn't think about the mounds of work I still had to do, the fact I was manipulating him to spend time with me, or those damn eyes. I thought of nothing … peace. The only three words that came to my head were “I love you.”

“Don't you know the Big Three?”

There were those eyes again. Stalin must have had captivating eyes, but in a different way. In these eyes there was concern … but only concern that I didn't know the answer. In them I saw his dreams, his amazement, his past loves, his cats … but was there anything for me?

“The Big Three are Stalin, Roosevelt, and Churchill.” With each name I couldn't help but feel my words betrayed them all. But it was the correct answer, and logically the only answer. Still, I couldn't look in his eyes.

“Are you sure?” My God, he was teasing me! Of all the questions he decided to make me second guess myself on, he had to pick this one.

Bastard. Blond handsome bastard. He was also playing me.

“Well, what other Big Three is there?” I asked in my most seductive voice. Those years of theater had to pay off sometime. I twirled a bit of curly hair around my finger. He loved my curly hair, so unlike his.

His eyes were staring into mine and I stared right back. Was I FDR and he Stalin, or the other way around? There was a flicker of something in those cotton-candy eyes and I knew he wasn't Stalin.

“I love you.” The words that slipped from his lips were barely audible.

“I love me too.” I bet no one had ever said that to a Kennedy before. But I hadn't won yet. “In fact, I love me almost as much as I love you.”

mimirocks124 said...
last line = completely golden! i luved it!

delete2x said...

Adorable..

I loved "What the hell, you only live once."

Steph0804 said...
Jul. 16, 2011 at 12:55 am
Guy's pick-up strategy totally backfires :)

AbigailElizabethThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
your language is so captivating... it left me thinking "wow, i wish i could write just like that!"

Alexa19 said...
That was a cute, great story! i loved the end!

tealbird said...
Amazing! Absolutely GENIUS prose...

KaylynB. said...
Jun. 2, 2011 at 11:58 am

Genius!

Can someone please check out my work!

K.M.S.Shear said...
Jun. 2, 2011 at 6:34 am

AMAZING JOB write another one

BookFreak14 said...
Totally AWESOME!!!!.... PLEASE keep WRITING!!!!... I will read it... and add on to the story! I can't wait to read more...

kkkkanabelkkkk replied...
haha makes me laugh because i was just studying this for the ap exam recently :) no wonder it sounded familiar!!!!! it was great tho. It was like i was there :)

sunshine04 said...
May 12, 2011 at 5:23 am
its built in a cool was and had me laugh write more:D

LoveeU said...
I lovee this! keep adding...PLEASE! Im going to go read more of your work. I love romance,

FeelTheRomance18 said...
this is great it made me laugh out loud LOL

wonderHaley said...

AMAZING!, it's all i can say. I gave you 5 stars. This is a wonderful ending but i really hope you add to this, soon! I need to know if they get together, well thats kind of obvious but still, i want the details. if you love all of your fans you will write more ... pleeeaaase. 

ps. i'm a fan. Your one of my favorites! Love ya<3

Paranormal4Ever said...
Dude!!!!! This caught my attention at the first sentance!!! Awesome writing, kinda leaves you hanging though.

TheGoodTwin replied...
Dude! you spelled sentance* wrong. it's sentence. 

hungergames_love said...
You captured my attention right off the bat and held it the whole way through! I loved it! But it seemed like if they were in love, they had to know each other pretty well, so why was she worrying about not seeing him after the semester was over? But that's pretty much my only criticism. Great story!

LinaCarter said...
This is very well written. I personally don't understand some of it because Im not fimilar with some of the people you talked about, but I love how clever it is. Makes you think.

TheGoodTwin replied...
Sorry i'm such a grammar Nazi, but it's familiar. not  fimilar. 

PaRaNoRmAl627 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
aww, this is adorable! the "i love you" was so unexpected, but I was so happy he said it!