The Big Three This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“What event triggered the Cuban missile crisis?”

My study buddy looked from his paper to me with those eyes – the eyes of Dorian Gray. “I guess Princeton Review doesn't see the irony of putting ‘trigger' and ‘missile crisis' in the same question,” he added.

I answered with a coquettish laugh and, of course, the correct answer: the Bay of Pigs invasion. I knew the answers to all these questions. It's not like I suggested the idea of a study session because I had difficulty remembering the events of the Kennedy administration.

“Who was the Soviet premier during the Cuban missile crisis?” His voice had a curious, musical ring to it like some character in a black and white movie you could never quite place.

“Khrushchev.” You would want to hear more of that voice … like the first ten seconds of a JFK speech, before the whole nasal rasp becomes too much.

“Spell Khrushchev.” Ha! My little Cape Cod golden boy was challenging me.

“The AP exam doesn't take off for spelling.” I looked him straight in the eyes – eyes that happened to be mere inches from mine. Thank you, Aphrodite, for making small tables at coffee houses everywhere.

“I want to see if you know it.”

I stared into the tangoing twirls of blue and silver in his eyes. They should have been strands of cotton candy, but something told me they were the current of an eddy waiting to pull me in. Once you're gone, you're gone.

“K.” But the whites of his eyes were crossed with little red veins.

“H.” Did he have trouble sleeping last night?

“R.” Or was he with her last night?

“U.” No, they broke up. He's single now, but blond boy's out of my league.

“S.” It's a challenge. Does that mean I should go for it?

“C.” I wouldn't know how.

“H.” Won't he just disappear from my life when the semester ends?

“E.” Not if I play this right.

“V.” What the hell, you only live once.

He stared at me for a moment, and I couldn't breathe but didn't care to; who needs oxygen when you have so much adrenalin in your veins there's barely room for blood?

“So close,” he said in a low voice. His voice is even better than his eyes. For a moment I wondered if he would lean in and kiss me. “But you forgot an H.”

Figures I would do something to ruin it. No kiss for me. I guess spelling the names of Soviet premiers isn't something guys consider a turn-on.

“This one's easy,” he said.

Something easy? It must not be kissing me.

“Name the Big Three.”

The Big Three … somehow my mind was clear on this one. It wasn't that the answer was clear, but my mind was clear like the kind of stream some obnoxiously perfect lyrical unicorn would drink from. For a mini-eternity I didn't think about the mounds of work I still had to do, the fact I was manipulating him to spend time with me, or those damn eyes. I thought of nothing … peace. The only three words that came to my head were “I love you.”

“Don't you know the Big Three?”

There were those eyes again. Stalin must have had captivating eyes, but in a different way. In these eyes there was concern … but only concern that I didn't know the answer. In them I saw his dreams, his amazement, his past loves, his cats … but was there anything for me?

“The Big Three are Stalin, Roosevelt, and Churchill.” With each name I couldn't help but feel my words betrayed them all. But it was the correct answer, and logically the only answer. Still, I couldn't look in his eyes.

“Are you sure?” My God, he was teasing me! Of all the questions he decided to make me second guess myself on, he had to pick this one.

Bastard. Blond handsome bastard. He was also playing me.

“Well, what other Big Three is there?” I asked in my most seductive voice. Those years of theater had to pay off sometime. I twirled a bit of curly hair around my finger. He loved my curly hair, so unlike his.

His eyes were staring into mine and I stared right back. Was I FDR and he Stalin, or the other way around? There was a flicker of something in those cotton-candy eyes and I knew he wasn't Stalin.

“I love you.” The words that slipped from his lips were barely audible.

“I love me too.” I bet no one had ever said that to a Kennedy before. But I hadn't won yet. “In fact, I love me almost as much as I love you.”

Wordartist said...
Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:52 pm:
I love your story. sweet and innocent.

In_Love_with_WritingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
That was amazing. I adore the ending sooo much!!! Please read, rate, and comment on some of my stories. Thanks!

SonjaRenaeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is really good, I like it :)

writer3499 said...
Aug. 15, 2012 at 10:08 am:
I love this!! Great way to end such an amaing story!!! Would you mind checking out some of my work!

KlammytThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 3, 2012 at 8:45 pm:

AWESOME! I loved it. It was so cute and sweet and amazing. 

Question: When you say the Kennedys, do you mean that the blond kid is a Kennedy? 

Aduke9This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 19, 2012 at 8:20 pm:
A very pretty story. It was one of those that actually make you smile.

wishingtheskywasbluer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 2, 2012 at 2:19 am:
i love this!!!

Zuccini75 said...

HAHA... I laughed after the 'I love me too' part - seems like the kind of thing I would have said! My friend agreed...

Well written story, keep up the work!  

MakenzieB. said...
Amazing! I've read this like, 5 times already and I never get tired of it! That was sooo sweet of him to say "I love you" like that, and I totally didn't see that coming! Absolutely worthy of 5 stars!

SilverSunThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
OMG. This is the kind of writing you want to read again, even if you know you've got stuff to do and places to go. Like, Woah. This is almost to amazing to exist.

xoLoStcausexo said...
LOVELOVELOVELOVE IT! please keep writing!!!!

Nick5 said...
The last lines were almost like Han Solo's "I know" after Leia (did I spell her name right?) said "I love you" before he turned to carbonite.

PenPaperAddiction said...
Dec. 24, 2011 at 12:58 am:
Superb! The way the romance was barely a flicker infused with such witty, fresh banter that correlated to historical references was a unique concept. Bravo!

Caroline S. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Wow...this is absoutely beautiful

Mgrobinson said...
Nov. 25, 2011 at 8:32 am:
amazing!! i loved it! Keep writting!

musicluvr3 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Loved it! especially the last line... do yu mind if i use that someday??? ;)

Dreamgirl95 said...
This was awsome, I loved it. the writing was beautiful:)

TheEarlofZerces said...
Hehehehehe, very good. I really lked the occasional quark in your narrator's mind, which is perfect for a 1st-Person narrative because real peoples' minds also have those quarks going on in them. Also, I didn't know either of the characters' names or anything, but you managed to make me care about them in such a short amount of time. I was chuckling all the way through.

Book_addict replied...
Dec. 8, 2011 at 10:05 pm :
"Quark" is such a fun word :)

Book_addict replied...
Dec. 8, 2011 at 10:06 pm :
It almost seems, though, that the word you're looking for is "quirk".