Defying Love | Teen Ink

Defying Love MAG

May 24, 2009
By awesomeaugust GOLD, Boston, Massachusetts
awesomeaugust GOLD, Boston, Massachusetts
10 articles 0 photos 176 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground"
~Theordore Roosevelt


I didn't want to like him. He was just so charming.

This might sound like every other love story, and it may be, but it may not. If you don't read on, you'll never know.

My name is Emily Brown, which I've always been quite happy with. I think it makes me sound pleasant but ordinary, and I prefer to blend in. Now, I suppose it's only polite to tell you a bit about myself before I jump into my story. I am five feet, two inches, have brown hair that comes to my shoulders, and I am not talented in any special way. These are the basic facts of me, and I think these are all I ought to tell you.

His name was Andrew Rivers and he was perfectly wonderful in every way. When he first came to my school in twelfth grade, he was a bit eccentric and didn't fit in right away. He was into music and played the drums and the guitar, although he wasn't good at either. What he was good at was singing, and when he did, you wanted to cry and laugh and sing along with him all at once.

My name is Emily Brown and his was Andrew Rivers and I loved him.

About two months into my last year of high school, Andrew asked me out. I was surprised since I had hardly ever talked to him, but I didn't have a boyfriend, and I didn't know how to say no.

It may help you to know that at my school there were couples that were simply together for the name, and some that were together only to have a date for dances and for kissing and other such things. When Andrew asked me out I had no idea what his intentions were, and I didn't like having no idea. I'm by no means a confrontational person, but I was starting to feel offended that after I had said that I would date him, he hadn't said another word to me. So I went up to him and we had a little talk.

Me: “Hey, Andrew.”

Andrew: “Hey.”

Me: “So …”

Andrew: (annoyingly, nothing)

Me: “You asked me out.”

Andrew: (nothing again)

Me: “Why?”

Andrew: “Why'd I ask you out?”

Me: “Right.”

Andrew: “I felt like it.”

Me: (irritated) “You felt like it?”

Andrew: “That's what I said, isn't it?”

Me: (infuriated) “I'm sorry. Actually I'm not. I didn't realize you were such a jerk, and I don't want to go out with you anymore.” (I'd never dumped someone before, okay?)

Andrew: “Are you dumping me?”

Me: “What do you think?”

Andrew: “Why?”

Me: “I feel like it.”

Andrew: (smiling) “Do you like Chinese food?”

Me: “I hate it.”

Andrew: “You've never had it.”

Me: “How do you know?”

Andrew: (laughing) “I'm good at reading people.”

Me: “Well, obviously you suck, because I've had Chinese food a million times and I hated it every time.”

Andrew: “Would you like to go out with me tonight?”

Me: “You're asking me on a date?”

Andrew: “Yes.”

Me: “Read my answer.”

Andrew: “Wonderful! I'll see you tonight. Be ready by six. Ish. Sixish.”

I hated this strange boy who I'd only really talked to twice. He made me infuriated. The only problem was, I couldn't figure out if I liked that or not.

That night at sixish sharp, Andrew showed up at my doorstep. My parents have never been into meeting my boyfriends, but as I was stepping out, he stepped in. He walked right into the living room where my parents sat watching the baseball game.

When he came back out I asked, “What'd you say?”

“I told them I'd have you back by eight.”

“Ish?”

He laughed. “Nope. Just eight.”

We didn't talk much on the car ride. He had a CD playing that sounded kind of like Bob Marley, but I'd never heard the song before. It wasn't until we got there that I realized I didn't know where we were going. A small sign stood in front of the building but the name was too peeled away for me to be able to read it. What I could read was the sign beneath where the name should be, and it said, “The best Chinese cuisine for miles.”

“Chinese, huh?”

He smirked.

We walked inside and it was only then that I realized exactly how small the building was. There were little tables in the center of the room, about five of them, and a couch against one wall for sitting while you waited. As if. There was no waiting; we were the only customers. A sign read “PLEASE SEAT YOURSELF,” but I guess because of the lack of business, a waiter came over to seat us. He tried to show us to a table, but Andrew said, “Oh, no, thank you. We'll be sitting down here.”

He strolled over to the couch and at first I thought he wanted us to sit there, but then he grabbed two pillows and placed them on the ground a little way away from the tables.

I looked at him, baffled.

“Authenticity,” he said, smiling. He was always smiling.

I, personally, couldn't see how sitting on the floor was authentic.

***

There were many other dates, all very unusual. I was used to dances and movies, but with Andrew I got sunsets and local concerts. Once he took me to a bingo night that his aunt was hosting. Oddly enough, that was the night we first kissed.

I remember so clearly the day of graduation, the day I realized that Andrew and I wouldn't always be together. After we threw our hats and got our diplomas, he found me.

“End of high school, huh?” he said.

“Yeah.”

“What do you want to do, Emily?”

“With my life?”

“Sure.”

“Be with you.”

He didn't smile like I wanted him to.

“Don't you want to go to college?”

I sighed. “Want to, or have to?”

Now he smiled. “You choose.”

“I should. Go to college, I mean. I found one that'll accept me.”

There was a long pause before I said, “Andrew, what about you?”

“What about me?”

“What are you gonna do?”

“I dunno. Do what I do best, I guess. Play my music.”

“Oh. Yeah. That's cool. See you later?”

“When would I see you?”

“I see what you mean.”

“Bye, Emily.”

“Bye.”

Thinking back, I wish I had said something better than bye. I wish I had told him that I loved him more than words could describe and that when he sang to me I felt like I was all that mattered in the world. I wanted to tell him that if he had just asked, I wouldn't have gone to college. I would have played his music with him.

I'm sitting at my computer right now, looking at a name on the screen on a website called “peoplefinder.” I want to call him and hear his voice, but I'm afraid. I'm afraid that he won't be my same Andrew.

I get a glass of cold water and sit on my couch. I picture myself having one last conversation with him.

Me: “Hey, Andrew.” (I say it so casually, just like old times.)

Andrew: “Hey, Emily.”

Me: “Why are you wearing a tie?”

Andrew: “Why shouldn't I be?”

Me: “I don't know.”

Andrew: “I have a job.”

Me: “Good.”

Andrew: “I'm a lawyer, Emily.”

Me: “That's great.”

Andrew: “You don't sound like that's great.”

Me: “Don't I?”

Andrew: “I live in an apartment in the city. I talk on the phone with other businesspeople.”

Me: “I'm proud of you.”

Andrew: “I have a diploma hanging up on the wall of my office. My office.”

Me: “Do you play music anymore, Andrew?”

Andrew: “Music.”

He looks at me as if he doesn't remember the word.

Andrew: “No, I don't play my music anymore.”

Me: “Oh.”

Me: “I loved you, Andrew.”

Andrew: “Loved? Past tense?”

Me: “I think so.”

Andrew: “I love you.”

Me: “Why'd you ask me out?”

Andrew: “I thought you were beautiful and smart, and I loved how shiny your dark brown hair was. I liked how you weren't too loud, and you didn't wear low-cut shirts like most other girls.”

Me: “I wish you'd said, ‘Because I felt like it.'”

Andrew: “Sorry.”

Me: “Me too.”

Andrew: “I have to be going.”

Me: “Yeah.”

Me: “Wait!”

Andrew: “Yes?”

Me: “I'd never had Chinese food before.”



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 542 comments.


on Nov. 13 2011 at 9:06 pm
A.M.Blackwood BRONZE, Hobbiton, Utah
2 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
"This is the type of arrant pedantry up with which I will not put."

I enjoyed this story very much. It is much better written than most of the other articles I've read on this website. I agree with the others, it could use a bit more description. I want more feeling out of these characters. It also ended a bit abruptly, but I really, really, liked it. Keep writing! Please!

on Nov. 13 2011 at 8:43 pm
JustPaperAndPencil BRONZE, Milford, Ohio
4 articles 0 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
The saddest thing in the world, is loving someone who used to love you.

This Is So Cute ! You're An Amazing Writer ! Seriously !

on Nov. 10 2011 at 1:00 pm
ambamix3 BRONZE, Orlando, Florida
3 articles 5 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
We live by the sun
We feel by the moon

SUPER CUTE ! I totally believe that you should make a second part , i really loved it !!! keep writing hunns , you're very good at this .

on Nov. 7 2011 at 7:38 pm
selahoverrated GOLD, Mt Sidney, Virginia
11 articles 0 photos 43 comments
make a sequel i think...it was cute

on Nov. 6 2011 at 11:17 pm
samanthaualani BRONZE, Columbia, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
you are every reason, every hope, and every dream i've ever had. no matter what happens to us in the future, everyday we are together is the greatest day of my life. i will always be yours. And, my darling, you you will always be mine.♥
[[thenotebook]]--

i agree with most of the people raving about this.
granted, it could use a bit more detail, i loved it(:

on Nov. 6 2011 at 6:39 pm
I loved every word of it <3

on Nov. 6 2011 at 6:02 pm
satellite23 GOLD, Cincinnati, Ohio
14 articles 0 photos 100 comments

Favorite Quote:
Prove it.

I liked the story. Pretty entertaining....although that was about it. I think you should have focused on something a bit deeper that would give more moral value to the story. At most, this sstory is just a simple love tale that fits right into pop culture. All fun, no memories, get it?

on Nov. 6 2011 at 1:18 pm
ToxicLove SILVER, Hunh, Other
9 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep"

-Robert Frost

Man......that waz really cOoL.....plz write more of this type of stories

 


on Nov. 6 2011 at 11:00 am
HannahPaige SILVER, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania
8 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"One can't complain. I have my friends. Someone spoke to me only yesterday." -Eeyore

He said it better than I could have.

It's a cute story. I don't think it's necessary to introduce the story so much in the beginning, it feels like we have to keep waiting for the story to begin. You might want to just jump right in. Some of the dialogue is sweet and feels right for the story, and other pieces feel forced and unrealistic. If you edit this, that's something you might want to look for. At the end it got a little hard to follow, but all in all it flowed nicely and i like how it didn't necessarily go in chronological order. Like i said, it's a very cute, sweet story. It feels a little incomplete. It might actually be better as a novella or something like that. 

JustAGirl94 said...
on Nov. 6 2011 at 1:29 am
JustAGirl94, Sydney, Other
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

That was amazing :) Would love to read more!

 

P.S. Funny thing with the names. I'm Emily, and they guy I like is Andrew :)


on Oct. 19 2011 at 2:50 pm
CaseyDawn BRONZE, Princeton, Indiana
1 article 3 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
You're only as good as you make yourself out to be.

This was great! :)

on Oct. 16 2011 at 9:30 am
XxilybbyxX SILVER, Saginaw, Michigan
5 articles 0 photos 40 comments

Favorite Quote:
Sometimes we build up walls, not to keep people out; but to see who cares enough to break them down.

HAVE TO FINISH THIS OR LIKE ADD TO IT! it is so amazing and sweet omigosh!!!!!! :)

on Oct. 15 2011 at 11:12 am
PepperMint101 BRONZE, Austin, Texas
4 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life is short. Eat dessert first.

OMG!!! I love your story!! It's absolutely cute! Come see mine wont you? It's called Cursed Angel. (:

on Oct. 15 2011 at 11:07 am
AmyyMtz01 BRONZE, Farmers Branch, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Its not about the destination, but the journey."

This was a really good story! Good grammar, and I love how thise two characters peak to eacohther. It was very fnny and very sweet. Maybe you can use more detail, but other than that it was good! Keep writing :)

lvlyssa said...
on Oct. 7 2011 at 2:58 pm
lvlyssa, Las Vegas, Nevada
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
this was amazing :) great job 

Aurelie SILVER said...
on Sep. 29 2011 at 1:18 am
Aurelie SILVER, Bellevue, Washington
6 articles 3 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I'm dying of boredom. Or maybe just dying" -Megan Whalen Turner

I loved this. Great dialogue, great set up, great ending. 

ace1897 SILVER said...
on Sep. 28 2011 at 8:55 am
ace1897 SILVER, Pellston, Michigan
9 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"boys are blue, girls are pink... we do not make purple :)"

pretty good... :( kinda confused....

Lovejoy said...
on Sep. 23 2011 at 8:42 pm
Lovejoy, Philly, Pennsylvania
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss

this was beautiful. brought tears to my eyes :')

on Sep. 23 2011 at 8:37 pm
chocolatechip BRONZE, Mississgaua, Other
2 articles 0 photos 11 comments
omg.. words cannot describe how beautitful and moving that was  to me yu are very talented and don't let anyone say yur not. keep up the good work yu will go far

PearlP BRONZE said...
on Sep. 23 2011 at 8:12 pm
PearlP BRONZE, Victoria, Other
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Being fearless doesn't mean being 100% not fearful, it means being terrified, and jumping anyway
-Taylor Swift

this made me cry, because i loved a boy named Andrew this past year. thank you for writing such a beautiful story.