I Did It For You | Teen Ink

I Did It For You

By Sandystorm711 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
Sandystorm711 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin

"Love was no longer jealousy, it was peace"

I gaze up the cliff side, free falling towards hundreds of rocks below. The wind deafened me. 

The corners of my mouth turned up into a small smile, sad but content. The image of his sparkling blue eyes stared at me, humor danced in them as he spun me causing the sweet haum of laughter as we stepped on each other's feet. The playful sweet side of him I'd always adored. The bridge of his nose, perfectly curved, with a small bump in the middle. The remnants of an accidental smack in the face with a baseball bat. Each cheek bone was defined and refined, the thoughts of my fingers gingerly trailing his jaw line, exploring every feature, crashed into my recollection of him. My favorite feature was his lips, chapped but gentle, always turned up into the smile a little kid might give you before stealing something. Joy danced on his lips. Love played in his words. Affection ran through his hands. 

A chill shot itself through my body causing goose bumps to raise on my skin. Short breaths filled my lungs. Time slowed, allowing me to commit his worn face to memory.

“JADE!” He called my name. Oh the way he said my name. Compassionate and sweet. gentle and kind. Sometimes said without a purpose, just left in the open air between us. He loves me. I love him. It was sad this would be the last time my name would hang off his lips. 

“I love you”

The rocks around me pass by faster, the roar of the unforgiving ocean below gets louder. The deafening crash of each wave on the cliff side no longer scares me, but starts a timer, the time set to before I would hit the water. 

He couldn’t hear it. He would never know how when he called my name, my heart would race. He would never know how contagious his smile was, how I lived for him. How he is my world. How I loved him with every ounce of my soul. I did it for him. I did everything for him

I’m close now, the clock ticks and my fall doesn’t stop. Two mourning hearts aren't enough to stop time. I feel the spray of the water below reach up and grab my legs, graze the back of my arms, pulling me down. I reach up with a hand, I reach to him, a boy who loves me.

I can make out the shape of his head hanging over the side of the cliff. He's reaching out with his hand even with the distance between us. I did this for him. He will live and I will die, but it’s okay. His heart may ache but it will beat. 

A gasp escaped my lips as I hit the water. A chill wound up through my bones. My body sinks into the unforgiving water, my lungs screamed for air that would never come. The stiffness in my limbs released. I allowed myself to be swallowed by the mouth of the sea. I fade away with the image of his face still resting behind my eyes. The image of a boy who loved me.

I smiled, and everything faded away into a silent peace.

This was a peice written about a tragic love between two people. I took this prompt a different way, as in the love was good, but they were forced apart. They would always love eachother, just from two different places.