My secret. | Teen Ink

My secret.

By Hannah02 BRONZE, Windsor, Missouri
Hannah02 BRONZE, Windsor, Missouri

My secret.

September 4th 2005.
If your reading this, its because you’re my best friend and I never did get the guts to tell you this in person. So this whole thing will explain it from the beginning. I promise I won’t skip a thing. Do you remember that time when my parents were fighting and you held me so tight and told me everything would be okay? That was about when this all started. After that night I wanted to be cuddled up in your arms every night…

See readers of this story. Little does this boy know is that I thought of him as more then my best friend. At least I wanted to. I had fallen in love with him. Hopelessly in love with him as a matter of fact. But he is about to find out. You might want to grab a few tissues this is a tear jerker.

I watch you every day. I always make sure you’re safe and sound tucked in bed. I’m always there when you are in need of a tissue or a shoulder to cry on. But you don’t ever see me the way I see you. i think you are simply amazing. You never did like talking to me in school you would just pretend im not even there. You would pass me in the hallway and not even wink at me. Nothing. But outside of school you were completely different you told me “ I will always be here for you no matter what.” Are you remembering this? i recall texting you saying “ meet me in the park I have to tell you something.” You replied with a simple “okay.” Time went by and I was at the park waiting. As you neared me I started crying. I believe you rushed over to me and asked “babe what’s wrong?!?!” I started crying harder and I could barely make out the words “ I…i…have cancer.” I can remember the look on your face when I told you that. It was as if your whole world was about to end. Then I saw it. I seen those tears come out of your eyes and you asked “how long do you have? Did they say? What kind? Do you want me to shave my head?” of course that last question made me laugh. I told you “they gave me 6 months. I have leukemia. And no you don’t have to shave your head unless you want to.”

Are you crying yet? I know I am. Did I mention that I’m a 16 year old girl and he is a 17 year old boy? My name is Libby and his name is Bobby. Let’s see how he is doing shall we?

3 months had gone by…you did start to notice me at school. I was quite very happy about that. I even made some new friends. People I never thought I would befriend. I started walking with you in the halls. Then one day you told me “let’s go get our heads shaved today after school” I giggled and said “ugh! Okay. But only because my hair is starting to fall out!” As the hair dresser took out the razor I could see the excitement in your eyes. I never did understand why you wanted no hair anyway. But whatever. People in the halls looked at us weird from now on. We didn’t let it bother us. In fact I think we told them to take a picture it’ll last longer…….4 months. That list of things to do before we died. We had made when we were about 12. The first thing was to go bungee jumping and the second was to sleep on the trampoline under the stars. And the third was to sing together at our talent show our sophomore and junior year no matter how bad we sucked.
We did manage to go bungee jumping and sleep under the stars.

But the talent show was in 3 months. And I only had 2 months left. This is where it really gets sad….let’s see how Bobby is.

I had gotten so bad that I couldn’t go to school and I was in the hospital. Everyone asked you questions about me. You never answered them. I think you knew just as well as I did that my time was coming. You had said to me “I will come see you every day after school. I promise.” Just as you promised you did. I should have told you this then but I could never work up enough courage to tell you. Bobby, I Love You. More than a best friend. More then you could ever imagine and I still want you to sing at that talent show. Don’t think just because I’m gone that you can’t do it. I heard you sing that one day. You’re amazing so go out there and break a leg. I’ll be singing with you from up above. I promise….

on May. 14 2009 at 2:39 pm
janhabi mukherjee, Kolkata, Other
nice............

ahhhhh said...
on May. 14 2009 at 4:30 am
ahhhhh, Los Angeles, California
that is a tear jerker.

omg sooo sad

weaker GOLD said...
on May. 14 2009 at 12:27 am
weaker GOLD, Lexington, North Carolina

"Can't change it, so learn to love it!"

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

on May. 13 2009 at 10:00 pm
xcupcakesxbrokenheartx BRONZE, Seaside, Oregon
It's sweet, but if this really is a fictional letter to Bobby, it wouldn't be adressing us as "reader" and telling us to get tissues or whatever. That's an inconsistant narrator. You also might want to work on your conventions.

on May. 13 2009 at 7:47 pm
wow...that's awesome. So sad!!! I have this enormous crush on my guy friend...but he likes my best friend...and so I relate to this. but not the cancer part. So sweet! Keep writing!