Unconditionally | Teen Ink

Unconditionally

By Poet_ink12 BRONZE, Springfield Gardens, New York
Poet_ink12 BRONZE, Springfield Gardens, New York

Unconditional

My love for you is like clothes that don’t fit anymore. Though they don’t, I still treasure them like they still do with a little hope. Thinking that it’s true, when it’s not; I can’t help but feel attached. All those years that probably mean nothing to you, mean the world to me. You know the difference between your love for me and mine for you, it’s that I held on to hope while you didn’t. And you know the greatest thing about love, even though it hurts it’s still worth it. Not for a single moment did I thought of leaving you; you were my home, the only one I’d ever known - so welcomed and loved. I gave you my all, yet received nothing. Not asking for a lot, just your feelings. And even though my heart was breaking for all those years, I just want you to know that I love you. You may not be able to fit me me anymore but I can at least keep you in my closet box filled with nothing but you. And if you decide to come back to me, just know my box is unlocked for you and only you.

My flaws are as big as you make them. You make me feel vulnerable, weak and needy. Enough to make me go mad, but I’m not complaining. At least  I know how much love I have for you. Stored in such a small box.

I remember when we first met. Your short yet long length of hair, almost covering your hazelnut eyes; piercing through my dark brown ones, as if they knew my story, my whole life. With your smile and reaching hands, I knew it right then ‘you were the one’. The days went by and all my thoughts were drowned by you and only you. When you would appear, my heart would beat fast and everything around me would move in slow pace, as you got closer. Till your eyes fell on mines. I would blush like crazy and duck down so you wouldn’t see my ugly face. The fact that I fell hard for you made me unmask all my insecurities and flaws. At times I would wonder ‘what would he see in me, he wouldn’t want a girl as ugly as me?’. “Would he?” I whispered to myself. Those two words came out as though I had some sense of left.

January, the coldest month of the year, I was still waiting for him to come off the bus, standing from across the street helping Christmas stands give away presents. It was cold but I didn’t mind, as long as I could see those hazelnut orbs I’d be satisfied. After hours and hours of waiting , my eyes started to get blurry. I Shook my head and tried to keep my focus on the buses that came by. ‘Where is he’ I thought frowning a little. A day past and I caught a cold. My mom warned me to stuff myself more, so I wouldn’t get sick but, my mind only thought of Hazelnut’s arrival. In the end I caught a cold ‘sad isn’t it’. My mom made me some soup with bread and other ingredients. As I ate my soup, my mind began to be consumed by thoughts of Hazelnut. The days went by like that; ate my soup and thought of him, gradually getting better.

When I went back to the booths, we were now selling Christmas items. I helped out while waiting for Hazel-nut to get off work and walk out one of those buses. While wrapping up the items, Tiffany a lady I’m familiar with tapped my shoulder, handing me a bouquet of purple roses “That guy passed by again yesterday and told me to give you these.” I took them gently caressing them with my finger, then took a whiff of it’s aroma. ‘They smell good’ I thought smiling. “Thanks” I said, looking at the roses with love while blushing. Occupied with brushing them gently, a card fell from the bouquet of roses, landing on top of the snow. I picked it up and read it.

“Dear miss Blush, meet me at the Bonjour Cafe across the street, I’ll be waiting. 5:00 p.m”

My heart began to race and a blush crept upon my cheeks, as I excused myself from the booth. I checked the time, it was five o’ one. “ Sorry guys I got a date today, gotta go” I said crossing the street to the cafe. When I got there, I opened the door searching for him, my heart not forgetting to skip a beat. I searched and searched till my eyes caught him sitting down near the window, with his head down. I walked over there standing right in front of him. “Ahem, Mr. Hazelnut?” He lifted up his head, my heart started beating fast again. “Miss Blush?” He smiled, blushing as well. He got up and pulled out a chair for me “oh, please sit down” I felt the heat in my cheeks. ‘What a gentlemen’ I thought smiling to myself. He sat back down and introduced himself, “Bonsoir, je m’appelle Brylane, et toi”. I giggled a little before introducing myself. “je m’appelle Kellia, belle rencontre vous encore.” “I love your accent miss Kellia.” He commented smiling. That darn smile of his.

After introducing ourselves, we began to order from the menu. “What are we eating today Kellia?” he asked. I picked up the menu and selected something we both would enjoy. “Spaghetti!” I declared with a distinguished french accent. “Wise choice my lady” he said. We both blushed before going into a fit of indoor giggles. Like little kids sharing secrets. The waiter came by and took our menus, bowing before leaving the table. We patiently waited for our food by conversing interesting stories. “So Kellia, what are your hobbies?” “uhm...helping others around the town and thinking about you”, I sheepishly blushed while trying to make eye contact. “ So bold, I like that” he chuckled showing his enamels, which was cute and charming. “What about you Brylane, what are your hobbies?” I asked chortling. “Well besides coming from work to see you” he winked making me flush “...I also like to write stories and and publish them.” We gazed at each other until he broke the silence, chuckling. “I like your smile and laughter, their both beautiful in their own unique way”. My heart palpitated at that moment, feeling overwhelmed, a sensation melting in my heart. I never had someone compliment me like that, it was the first time. It felt nice and hopefully not the last? “Me too” I said. “ Mine or yours?” He teased raising his right eyebrow “yours silly” I said feeling embarrassed, while laughing. “Keep laughing like that, my heart might just explode.” He said exaggeratingly holding his heart. “More comments like that and I might just melt” I riposte smiling widely. We went into another fit of laughter, before the waiter came back with our spaghetti. He placed them down and we small talked as we ate. After eating, we settle down and talked more about ourselves. We both found out so much similarities and differences we never knew we had. Brylane payed and we exited the cafe. Just outside he stopped, holding both my hands, staring into my eyes as did to his hazelnut orbs. Are faces became close, my heart racing to it’s extinct as our lips connected. It was long sweet kiss, so tender. We parted, breathing heavily, our foreheads connected. “Kellia…” “yeah” “will you give me the honor of becoming your boyfriend” I smiled and hugged him tight, “yes”.

Late that night he walked me home, our hands tangled together. Just the contact makes my heart race. I still couldn’t believe it, we kissed, were dating and feel the same way about each other. Felt so dream like, yet real and happening to me right now. When we arrived, are hands still laced, neither of us wanting to let go he said “Were here” I still held onto his hands. “Already, that was fast “ he chuckled. “You and that laugh are going to drive me mad” I said before laughing myself. I smiled as he circled his arms around my waist, pulling me closer into a kiss. His lips felt warmly nice against mines. I melted into the kiss, my hands around his neck, savoring the taste of his lips. Slowly we parted, opening our eyes to see each others orbs. His hazelnut ones and my dark brown ones. “ See you tomorrow, Monsieur Brylance” I said climbing up the stairs. “Bonne nuit ma dame, Kellia” He uttered. He walked backwards smiling broadly and turning to walk back downtown. I sheepishly grinned, skipping the steps up.

Since it was ten o’clock in the night, I slowly crept open the back door so mom wouldn’t hear me coming in. My plan was working till the lights flickered on. I hid behind the counter. “Kellia, is that you?” I heard my mom say. I revealed myself from behind the counter. By the look she’s giving me now, I’m gonna get an earful. Sighing I prepared myself for the worst. To my surprise, I felt two warm arms embrace me. “I’ve been waiting for you all night. Where have you been all this time?” I hugged her back enjoying the warmth. When we separated, we went to her room and told her about everything. “ Wow this guy sounds amazing” was all she could say. “ He is. And you know something, the more I got to know him the more I realized, I really like this guy’. I hope we get far”. I smiled at the thought. My mom placed her hand on my shoulder and smiled reassuringly at me  “I’m proud of you, and you will because I believe in you.” Telling her this was a good idea; even though she always scolds me for stupid things I do, I know that she's really supporting.

That night I drifted off to sleep with an overflowing heart and anxious butterflies.

The words came out fast and quick, not a second wasted on thought. It felt like my heart was pricked with a bunch of needles; carefully stinging it with their points. And it made my stomach twist and turn with mixed feelings. “We should break up”. I searched for emotions on his face but found none. His hazelnut orbs darkening and tear stains can be visibly seen on his cheeks. His eyes seemed a little puff as well. “ Brylane, what are you talking about? What about yesterday, didn’t we share something yesterday?” I became close to tearing up, as I continued to question him, trying not to break down into tears. “ Brylane answer me. Please say something” I spoke holding his left arm, giving it a tight squeeze. He slowly glided my hands off his arm, seems to be the only thing he did the entire time. “Goodbye Kellia” he said grimacing a little. That word felt so wrong, to come out of his mouth like that. “Brylane no! Please…” I croaked out, my eyes getting blurry from the tears that came, flooding my vision. He walked passed me as my knees made contact with the ground. I felt shiftless as I stayed in position, mind blankly replaying over in my head, the scene that had occurred minutes ago. I cried for over 20 minutes, now trying to figure out where it went wrong. ‘Was it the kiss, or the whole date’ Thoughts flooded my mind as I picked myself up, with every last strength I had left in my enfeebled legs.

Brylane Pov--------------------------------------------------------------

I listened as she sobbed on the sidewalk, her sniffles could still be heard even when I thought I was far enough. This was the first time I heard her cry, it was both cute and sad. And knowing I made her cry, my heart hurts even more than it did last night. After hearing my dad's decision for me to marry his boss's daughter Christina, I had already sensed my say was invalid. That night I poured out every last bit of tear I had left in me, leaving me to grimace at the memory. If you knew how hard it was to try and get over her, you’d see how much I loved her. The way her hair would fall on her face, covering her gorgeous dark brown eyes, as she laughed. Oh her laugh, I love it more than I should. “Why” I said throwing my head back, staring at the cars wooled roof. “...did I taint such a beautifully kind heart.” I sadly smiled as I remembered her quirkiness and regaled at her effort to flirt with me at the cafe. Just when I thought all my tears had gone, a single tear dropped from my eye, rolling down my cheek. For the first time I cried like a little kid, that had held in all his emotions, now released like a train wreck. After the teary soap opera, I started my car engine and drove off. My life has now begun with a new fake purpose that overshadowed my true strive to be with Kellia.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Four years had past since the breakup of Kellia and Brylane; dust powdered on a book, ready to blow a revivement in past dreams that seem to be shadowed, now given a chance to come true. Brylane had been engaged to Christina for over four years. They had three children; Marida, their eldest daughter,  their thirteen year old son Kevin, and Kira their two year baby girl. Brylane felt happy with his family, feeling contented with how his life has gone. “Dad, look a new movie came out today. Can we please~go see it this friday?” Kevin pleaded, holding his Ipad screen in his father's face. “Alright we’ll go, now behave”. He settled down in his seat staring at his Ipad screen, smiling. At the seat across from him sat his wife and their baby girl Kira, sleeping on Christina’s lap. Brylane looked at his family, thinking of how fulfill his life is.

Back on the streets again, Kellia makes an effort to sell chocolate at a valentine booth. She felt like stuffing herself with a lot of chocolate right now; but she knows if she does that, she’ll lose her stand at the booth and even get fired. Her new boss Sherlean is overbearing; if one product goes missing, she’ll know and terminate your position without a second wasted. Knowing that Kellia continued selling the chocolates, with bitter sweet  acknowledgements for them. As you probably could tell, todays Valentine's day; it brings back the thought of Brylane and their one night romance. That night felt like a short film, constantly playing in Kellia’s head, like a sign that they’d never be together. But a girl can still dream. Kellia was at her last chocolate box. Most of the people that crowded the streets, had one by one started leaving; making their last stops in stores that were still open. Kellia placed her head on the flattened booth, taking a short nap before continuing her last box for the day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brylanes Pov

I almost forgot today was Valentine’s day. I asked the driver to haul down one of the street corners. Before I could open the door, Christina stopped me. I sat back down holding her hand. “Brylane where are going?” she asked rubbing her eyes. “I gotta get something on this street. Don’t worry, you guys can drive on home, I’ll see you guys there.” I said kissing her forehead thus exiting the car. I began to cross the street, making my way to one of the booths selling chocolate. There was one booth open that sold chocolate. I walked towards it; there laid asleep a woman who seemed deep in slumber. As I got a closer look, her resemblance seemed familiar to me. Like I knew her. After a moment, it clicked “Kellia” I whispered feeling rather astounded. She shifted a little, trying to get comfortable in her stool. Never in my dreams did I thought I would get to see her. Kellia, my first love, the one who kept me smiling for the longest time in my life. She was everything to me. Her gorgeous smile and ear-melting laugh that would render you whole. She looked so peaceful, her hair covering one side of her face, her parted lips inhaling and exhaling the fresh air. ‘She must be having a nice dream’ I thought. I placed a twenty dollar bill down next to her, along with a note. I took the chocolate. Getting ready to cross the street, I took one last look at her, adjusting to a better position. I crossed the street and waited for her in the same cafe before, Bonjour Cafe. It’s like fate giving me a second chance to fix my mistakes I didn’t get to, five years ago. I hope I don’t hurt her like last time, it was hard to watch her cry like that. And knowing that I caused it awoken something in me, not once thought I would feel, a heartbreak.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kellia’s Pov

I was awoken by a chill that curbed down and up my spine, feeling refreshed. I stretched out my arms while yawning, blinking my eyes to get a better focus. After feeling awake, I looked down and saw that the last box of chocolate was missing from the table. ‘I don’t remember selling that’ I thought panicking, till my eyes fell upon a twenty dollar bill accompanied by a note. I picked up the note and read it.

Long time no see Miss Kellia, how was your nap? Pleasant I hope. I didn’t want to intervene your slumber, that you looked so peaceful in. If you want to talk to me, meet me in Bonjour Cafe across the street, I’ll be waiting.

Sincerely, Mister chocolate

After reading the note, I felt confused and glad at the same time. For a second I thought I got robbed. If my boss found out, I’d never live to see the day again. Relieved I grabbed my belongings and closed down the booth. ‘Who could it be’ I thought making my way towards the cafe. I opened the cafes door and started to examine the people, hoping for a sign. I looked for the most suspicious person in there, as a clue to finding Mister Chocolate. I traipsed over to a man staring out the window. “ahem...ur..Mister Chocolate?” It felt like everything was moving at a furneral pace, as he turned to face me. My heart started to race, while my stomach did that twisty thing where I felt all emotions all at once, stirred around in my stomach. I started to sob, tears blurring my vision. “Miss Kellia what’s wrong? Why are you crying?” He said his tone worried. “Why? Really *hic*, after leaving like that, with no explanation. ‘Why’ is what you ask me?” I sobbed running into his arms, crying on his sturdy chest. His warmth, oh how I missed is so much. I Know we were out for all eyes to see, but I didn’t want to let go. Feeling that if I did he would run away again. “Kellia, I’m not going anywhere so could you release me, please.” I held on tighter “Promise?” I asked feeling sort of like a child. After my soap opera, I sat down facing him with my hands on my lap fisted. “Kellia, look at me.” He said in a soft tone, lifting my chin up. “You don’t want to see my face. Right now I look really crappy. And probably ugly too.” I said, feeling insecure about myself. “Don’t say that you look fine. You know the saying, girls who cry are the most beautiful and innocent one’s at heart. And I find you quite the part. Your dark brown eyes and hair that seems to always fall on your left eye when you’re being yourself. And of course you’re oblivious to that as well; occupied with laughing and smiling.” I looked up at him, taking in his sentimental words towards me. I smiled feeling better than before. “Is this your way of saying you want to get back together?” I posed, anxious of his response. “Kellia” he began, with an apologetic look, “I don’t think that we can go back to how we were four years ago. I called you hear so that I could tell you………...I’m married.” The anxious feeling that held my stomach, now felt like all my hopes were stolen for me. I knew that fate couldn’t bring us any closer to what we were before. Now, here I am feeling stupid as usual. “Oh...congrats” Was all I could respond with, a sad smile plastered on my face. “Sorry, you’re probably really disappointed. But please understand that I can’t leave my wife and our kids.” “You have kids as well” astound by the news. “Wow, you must really like this lady. Anyways It’s fine, I would have to move along at some point in time. Guess the clock has stopped ticking.” I said with a dry laugh, tucking my hair behind my ears. Even though I didn’t want to admit it, I began to move on those three years after our breakup. Realizing that he’ll most likely find a better girl, one that’s better than me and live his life, while I live mine. “I hope you don’t stop talking to me.” He said with a worried expression. I looked him in the eyes smiling, “Never. You can’t ignore a broken heart, you can only give it your full attention. And first loves aren’t always our last. The first is what gets you your next, like steps. And my love was so big for you, It’s like a quote you can cherish and relate on.” “Can I hug you?” he asked. With no hesitation, I got up from my chair hugging him tightly never, wanting to let go. His hug was better than I imagined - more warmth and sincerness placed in it, giving it a feel of reassurance, that I melted into. After what felt like hours, he released from the hug with his hands now on my shoulder. “Kellia I hope we can still be friends”. He stated with a gentle smile. “That’d be nice. Like they say, you’re only losing a friend when you end a relationship, made with so much love. And I want you to know that, no matter who you started a new form of love with, just know that I’ll always love you, unconditionally.” I stated with soft tonality. He smiled, “me too” “you or me?” I said with a playful smirk, then we both started laughing.  

It began to get dark. We gave each other our contacts, so that we could keep in touch. When we got out the door, we said our goodbyes and went our separate ways.

Brylane Pov------

A month past since me and Kellia met again. For the past two weeks I’ve toiled myself, working my but off. At work we, as in me, had to recreate a whole new scripture for my company’s recent blueprint. Were building another, more advanced MC’Ink company establishment. So my schedule was pretty much full. My son’s birthday was coming up soon, and I had to make sure it was clear. Also reminding myself to invite Kellia, she’d love it. I was up to my last touch up on the blueprint. I layed back stretching my arms. ‘Finally, done’ I thought feeling relieved. My hard work has ultimately paid off. I got up, deciding to get out of here to rest my rust up body. “Chauffeur Jim, let’s go.” I said as soon as I was out the building. When I arrived home, my nose was welcomed by a pleasant aroma of food drifting in the air. I walked in the kitchen to find my wife cooking and my little Kira drawing on the table. ‘Adorable’ I thought smiling. I walked behind my wife and kissed her cheek while back hugging her. “I’m home” I said with my face in the crook of her neck. “You sure are.” She cooed turning around to kiss my lips. She beamed before turning back to continue cutting onions. “Go get changed, we're having spaghetti tonight.” I walked in our room getting ready to change, when my phone started to bling. “Hello?” I said walking to my drawer of plain T-shirts, and pulling the bottom to get shorts. “Hello Mr. Brylane, thank you for your hard work. Well get started constructing next week, will that be alright?” “Yes that’ll be fine, thank you for your hard work...Anytime.”

I said before hanging up. I dropped my phone on the bed, making my way towards the bathroom. I took a long refreshing bath before exiting. I dressed myself and made my way out the room, drying my hair with a small towel. “Kira, can you do mommy a big favor and get your brother and sister for me.” Christina said to her. She slowly got off the chair, then scurried down the halls. I started setting the tables while Christina placed the plates of spaghettis’ down on the table. Kira came back with Kevin on his phone, before he noticed me. “Hey dad, when did you arrive?” He said getting seated on a chair next to me. “A while ago. What you been up to?” I questioned. He beamed as he flashed his smartphone screen in my face, once again. “If you put it that close, I won’t be able to see the contents.” I voiced. He handed me the phone and I scanned the Screen, realizing their all related to his birthday. “My birthday list, I’m going all out this year.” He stated, ready to dig into his spaghetti, till my wife posed a questioned. “Wheres Merida, didn’t you go get her Kira?” She looked over to Kira still drawing in her book. “I did. She said she wasn’t feeling too good.” she spoke, her eyes still focused on her book. “Kira why didn’t you tell mommy”, Christina said seemingly worried “sorry mommy, I forgot.” she looked up. “It’s fine, come eat.” she said, signaling me to go talk Marida. She picked up Kira and sat her in a chair. I got up, walking down the hallway. I softly knocked on the door, “Come in” she said. I slowly crept open the door, closing it. I turned to find her room a mess; tissues, misplaced clothes everywhere. “Marida?” I called out, “Yeah..” her voice small and fragile. I rushed to the bed, pulling her up. “Marida, whats wrong? Why are you crying?” I bombarded. Feeling rather shook with her sudden behavior. Just a couple of days ago she was doing fine; now here she is, lying in bed crying her heart out. “Dad, he broke up with me.” She weeped. I hugged her and she cried more. Looking at her she reminds me of Kellia, I’d do anything to get a smile on her pretty face again. After crying she stayed silent for a couple of minutes. “Are you ready to talk” I asked her, lifting her from my shoulder. “Okay so tell me, what punk is causing my little girl to shed tears like that.” I interrogated. She tucked both sides of her hair behind her ear, taking a deep breath. “His name is Luke and he goes to my school. We’ve been dating for a two months now. Just yesterday h-he broke up with me. He brought along his new girlfriend and said they've been dating for a month now. Now I know why he always cancels our dates and refused to give me an explanation.” She sadly smiled. I couldn’t stand to watch her like this. “ Don’t worry I’ll take care of him”, I posed lifting my sleeves to show my guns. “Dad~” she said laughing, trying to get me to put my guns away. “You sure?” I said attempting pull up my other sleeve. “Yes I’m sure. Now put down your sleeves. “You look better when you smile.” I said poking her nose. She giggled. “Come on, let’s go eat, you must be famished.” I said, before my stomach growled. Echoing throughout the room. “I guess your stomach agrees too.” She said chuckling. I wrapped my hands around her shoulder and retreated to the kitchen. “Here, eat something sweety.” Christina placed a reheated plate of spaghetti in front of her. “Thanks mom.” Merida said smiling, then began to eat, along with me. We all ate happily, cracking jokes as a family.

Three days past and the day of Kevin’s birthday arrived. We're throwing a big party for him. Lots of people are coming; Parents, co-workers, siblings of both me and Christina and also Kellia along with her mother. We became close friends after meeting again. She became more pert and eccentric. A totally different kind of Kellia I wasn’t familiar with.

Kellia’s pov--------

“Kellia, tell me why again that we're going to your ex boyfriend’s party again.” My mom asked as we were getting ready to leave the house. “It’s his son’s birthday, and because we're good friends and he politely invited me to it.” I reminded her, delving through my closet for shoes to go with my spring dress. “And why are you getting so pretty? To show him what he let go?” Mom teased, chuckling. I eventually found a nice pair of dark brown heels to go with my spring dress. “Let’s go mom” I rushed. “Hold on let me finish drinking the rest of my water.” “We don’t have time, let’s go” I said dragging her out the house. “What’s the rush, jeez.” She grunted. “It's starts at seven, but I want to get there before then so I could see the birthday boy. You got my camera?” “Yeah yeah, it’s right here” She patted her purse. “Then let’s go.” We hauled a taxi and hopped on, making our way towards the party.

When we got there, balloons and streamers were hung up around the house. A lot of food were set down on big, long table. Everyone was enjoying themselves, surrounded by blasting music. I made my way inside the house, welcomed by Brylane, his wife and two daughters. I squealed when I saw the baby, which I’m guessing is Kira. “Is that the little girl you were telling me about. She’s so cute.” I said poking her nose. She giggled and I almost melted. I faced my attention to Brylanes wife and gave her hug. She was surprised at first but hugged back. “And you must be the famous Kellia I’ve been hearing about. Nice to meet.” “Where’s the birthday boy?” I ask looking around. “Oh Kevin? He’s still upstairs getting ready.” Brylane said, “And a little nervous too.” “Can I see him?” “Sure.” I walked up the fancy stairs and found a door left ajar. I opened it to see a really nervous Kevin. “Hey buddy. What’s going on, you nervous?” I said walking over to him. He nodded shifting his position to face me on the bed. “Who are you, miss?” He questioned. “Well..I’m Madame Kellia, at your service” I said bowing. “You mean the one my dad always talks about?” He asked, a smile forming on his face. “Your father talks about me?” I ask feeling doubtful. “Yeah. At dinner time he told us what you’re like. I found you fun. And when I asked when we could meet  you, he didn’t answer. But now you’re here I feel much better.” I felt happy that he talked of me. I sat down next to Kevin and gave him a hug. “You’ll be okay. It’s your birthday enjoy yourself alright. I released from the hug and smiled at him. “And I’ll be right here, if you need encouragement.” “Alright Aunt Kellia. Can I call you that?” He smiled, showing his dimples. “Of course you can.” I responded patting his head. Hand in hand we marched down the flight of stairs. “Dad look Kellia came” He said jumping up in down. “Yeah I know. I invited her to your party.” “You did?” “I sure did. And her mom came as well” He looked in the back of me, then bowed “Bonsoir Madame, Comment se passe ta soirée?” He said. I was impressed. “Tre bien, merci”, my mom replied.

We all laughed feeling overwhelmed. We retreated outside, hearing the music more clear.

Me and my mom danced for hours until we felt tired and rested our numb felt legs. She sat down on a chair feeling rather tired. “I’m going to get us some water” I said walking over to the table. I got two water bottles, ready to head back when I was knocked down by hard chest. “ah” I said rubbing my head. “ Are you okay?” A deep male voice asked. I lifted my head, lovestruck. “Yeah….” I said in daze. I didn’t realize it then but, his hands were reached out for mine. With a smile on his face he asked me again, “Are you okay?” This time I responded, taking his hand, “I’m fine, thanks” I said. He had a lot of force when he pulled me up, making our faces almost connect. “Next time be careful.” He advised before walking off. I could smell his cologne as he walked away, leaving me in daze. “Okay”, I said all the way towards my mom, with two almost warm water bottles in my hand. “What happen to you?” My mom questioned, which broke my daze, falling down to my mother’s face. “I think I fell in love” I whispered. “What is she saying?” she mumbled “Did you hit your head or something?” I took a second before repeating myself, more audible. “Mom. I think I’m in love.” I said in daze still looking into the empty space of air. My mom slowly took a bottle of water from my grasp. “Well would look at that, she found another. I told you coming here was a good idea. No one ever listens to me.” muttering the last part. As the party continued, I danced with Kevin. And we all cheered while he blew the candles on the cake. We all ate cake before the party ended. Me and my mom packed some food left over from the party. “How could the not eat this mash potato and gravy, it’s heavenly. Well more for me” She voiced.  We waved goodbye to Brylane family and received a hug from Kevin. “Oh I almost forgot. Happy birthday Kevin.” I said handing him a box. He opened it and gasped, giving me a big hug. “Thank you so much, Aunt Kellia.” “You welcome kiddo.” I ruffled his hair and giggled. Inside the box was a Captain Versailles action figure. I heard from Brylane that he liked things like this, so I searched online for it. Lucky for me I was the first to order it, or else it would’ve been bought by someone else.

A couple of days had past since Kevin’s party. I couldn’t stop thinking about that man, his deep voice, captivating smile, just makes you melt a flood. I was walking to my house from shopping, when I felt a craving for ice cream. I walked into a deli a block from my house. I gazed down at the choices of ice cream cups. My choices were down to three; vanilla, strawberry-mango, and lemon-coconut. When primary choosing seemed hard, I got all three. Making my way towards my house, I heard a distant noise, or rather screaming. “Catch him!” A man said screaming at the top of his lungs. I didn’t get enough time to turn, as my hands had been napped and I was now running with a man. Whom I’m assuming is the perpetrator. I felt a fear crept upon me as I began to panic, as I realized ‘I was being kidnapped. We ran until we hid in between an alley corner. My heart sped as tears stricken to fall. Sniffles could be heard as I let it out, feeling scared, screaming in my head ‘please don’t kill me, please don’t kill me’. The man heard me and his hazel eyes met my dark brown ones. He backed up a little, then started to apologize. “I’m sorry, please don’t cry. I won’t hurt you.” He revealed his face, sliding his mask off. When I saw his face, I stared at him, then started to cry again. Feeling relieved that it wasn’t a kidnaper. “Please don’t cry.” He said pulling me into a hug, stroking my head. I continued to cry on his chest; my sobs muffling in his sweater. Which smelled like lavender. When I stopped, he pulled back rubbing my cheeks with his thumb. “You feel better now?” I nodded and looked at him. His gaze was soft and gentle. He grabbed my hand, gently this time. “C’mon follow me.” He commanded, our hands laced. “Where are we going?” I said with my soir voice. “Somewhere to cheer you up.” He said turning to smile at me. I tilted my head down blushing. ‘He’s so nice I thought, smiling to myself. When we got to our destination, we arrived at a carnival. It was big and packed. Kids were running around with balloons grasped in their hands, smiling cheerfully. I looked up at him and he looked down at me smiling. “Let’s have some fun, so you can feel better.”  I nodded. We walked hand in hand. It made me feel giddy inside. We rode tons of rides; the roller coaster, the pirate ship, the bulldozer and the dark tunnels. When we got off the last ride, we were both exhausted. We decided to eat at a hula hut selling Hawaiian foods. We conversed about ourselves as we ate. One thing I found interesting, was that he could play the guitar and sing. “I like to sing as well” I said excitedly. “Really, let me hear something” He said urging to sing. “Alright, but I gotta warn you, I’m a little rusty." I began to sing, harmonizing my notes. He applauded, along with a crowd that I didn’t notice forming. They carried on with themselves. Leaving me with a stunned Lewis. The day ended with him bringing me home. As we got close to my house, he gently grabbed my hands. “Kellia. I really~ like you and I like it if we started dating. Kellia, would you do me the honor of being my girlfriend?” He proposed kneeling down, his eyebrow raised suggestively. “Yes yes!” I squealed. He placed a kiss on my lips. I was a little surprised but kissed him back.

We parted and I slowly made my way up the stairs. Lewis smirked as he made steps down town. I blushed running into my house. Yet again my mom was up. This time instead of hiding behind the counter, I waltzed into the living room giggling to myself. “Jesus christ, she’s finally gone mad.” My mom said opening the fridge. I sat down on one side of the couch and patted the seat next to me. “Mom come sit down. I got big news.” She closed the refrigerator door and sat next to me. Ready for me to spill. “I finally got a boyfriend.” I said in screeching tone. “Wow, Cinderella lost another shoe yet again.” My mom teased. She smiled at me, congratulating my new found happiness. I told her all about Lewis and our whole day together.

Three years past, Lewis proposed to me and we got married. Everyone was happy for me, especially Kevin. He was happy that I was his aunt.  Kira, Brylane’s third child started getting used to me, eventually warmed up. Lewis and I were happy together. We adopted a dog, calling him Brus. Brylane and his family visited us time to time. Kevin and Kira would play with Brus in our backyard. I smiled at my new life. I couldn’t help but sprout a tear. As the years fled by, I couldn't be any more happy. I was pregnant with a baby boy. Me and Lewis were happy to watch him grow up; everyday was a treasured moment for us. No day would pass by without a tear fleeing from my eyes, a happy tear.

“In life, we are able to fall in love various of times. And each time we do, it’s better than the previous.”- Ikelly M