Beneath the Window | Teen Ink

Beneath the Window

My family moved to Brooklyn this summer. Although it was only an one hour drive from Brooklyn to my old district, it was far enough for me to get lonely. I spent my spare time during the day decorating my room, watching Netflix, and texting my friends. But I did love my new room, everything was at the perfect right place with the right color coordination, especially the French windows with the sky blue curtains dangling aside. I sit by the window everyday, consuming all the sunlight I can on a hot summer day. When the sun goes down the red brick buildings in Brooklyn, i absorb the coolness of summer nights and looks for constellations. Yes, i know how boring my life sounds, I don’t want it to be, so I guess someone heard me and planned them to come under my window.
It was July when I first saw them. They walked to the bench next to the bus station and sat. I was pretty annoyed by their action, I liked the bench empty, the whole street empty, and their action made the whole looking out of window thing nonsense. So I decided to sit back to me desk and do some doodles. But I immediately found out that I didn’t what to doodle down at all, so I stared at my white ceiling. After what seemed like forever, I got bored, so I went to my window again to check out the little couple. They were still sitting there of course, but now holding hands. 10 minutes ago, they sat at least 100 meters apart from each other, and now they are holding hands. Sweet.
After that day, they came everyday. Sometimes they sat down for a few hours just talking, holding hands, and other couple things. Sometimes they walk by. I started to enjoy watching them together. I enjoyed how the boy buys the girl little bags of gifts every time. I enjoyed the girl’s smile every time they meet. But yes, I enjoyed watching them holding hands with all ten fingers crossed.
It was the end of October, when I finally had time to sit in front of the window and escape from APs. They weren’t there. So I waited, and just like during the Summer, I watched the sky and started to line up the stars. Finally, there was noise beneath my window, a girl and a boy talking. I pulled back the curtain even more and looked down eagerly. I have to be honest, but my heart sunk when I didn’t see the girl’s smile nor holding any gift bag, and also...their hands holding. The girl was speaking with her mouth wide open, I could see her row of white teeth rubbing with her tongue spitting out words to the boy. He just listened with his heads down. I wished I could run down the stairs open the door, and slap the boy in his face, if it wasn’t my dad having a Skype meeting in the living room. But that idea diminished in a few minutes, when suddenly he stepped forward, so that he and the girl were 1 mm away from each other. In less than a second the girl was pulled to his hug. i saw his smile, so bright and true under the streetlight.
The second day, I took the leap into the sea of homeworks and grades again.
It was December, I sat down beside the white Christmas tree, watched the street beneath me. People passed by quite frequently, carrying big shopping bags from Costco and local supermarkets. Kids wore rain deer head weak, some wore Santa hats, also carrying small gift bags back and forth. It was a pretty busy day for everyone I guess. i didn’t see the familiar faces that day. I thought that they must have went Christmas shopping with their family.
But they never appeared under my window anymore since that day, or maybe a long time ago.
Yesterday, I was walking back from my graduation ceremony. My makeup was melting a bit, and I was rushing back home, but then i saw her. She was walking towards me. She dyed her hair blonde, it looked pretty but not familiar. A full grown man walked passed me, he had dark black hair grown to his shoulders, it was him. They walked to each other, smiled.
“How’s it going?”
“Not bad, you?”
“Not bad either.”
They smiled, I walked to them and smiled like a proper neighbor would do.