Just Like You | Teen Ink

Just Like You

By AliveOlyver13 BRONZE, Northglenn, Colorado
AliveOlyver13 BRONZE, Northglenn, Colorado

“You will never become a professional baseball player,” a tall and rude boy said to me, “You are to small and can’t do anything.”
            I am smaller than kids my age. I am different from many people because I have dwarfism. My name is Jacob. I feel gratified,I feel depressed,and I feel vexation. I am just like you. I am sanguine,but I can be pessimistic. We are just like each other. Sometimes I am triumphant and sometimes I am inadequate. You and I are typically identical.
            I have a dream to be a professional baseball player and you have a dream to do something. You are probably thinking,You won’t be able to play baseball,you have dwarfism!! I don’t know how many times people have told me that. I am just letting you know,if you don’t believe I can become a professional baseball player,I guarantee you that you will not reach any of your goals. 
            Again,we have a lot in common. A few days ago I was walking to the park and fell down. Just because I have dwarfism doesn’t mean I can’t get back up. You can obviously predict what happened. I got back up and continued walking.
     Do you still believe we are different? Yes? Fine. I am just letting you know,we are almost indistinguishable.
I am currently at school. People are often rude and like to bully me. I am bullied because of my size. You are probably made fun of because of something as well. That’s another thing we have in common,we are made fun of because of our differences.
Anyways,I am doing good in school. I have an “A” in science,a “C+” in math,a “B” in language arts,and a “B+” in spanish. I do not have good grades in social studies or music but,I am trying hard,just like you.
School ends in 10 minutes. I am taking a geography test in social studies. I am not sure how well I did but,I think I might have gotten at least a 70%. Like I said,I am working hard. If you haven’t noticed yet,we are kind of like synonyms. Most of our meaning is the same but,we still have differences. You want success and I want success. You hope for success and I hope for success.
School is now over. I am going over to my friend Daniel’s house. A couple weeks ago I helped him study for a science test so he is going to teach me how to play baseball. He will teach me about pitching,batting,and everything else I need to know to play baseball.
I arrived at Daniel’s house 45 minutes ago. So far he has taught me everything I need to know. Now we are just practicing. I am not great at it but,I am going to keep trying until I know I can’t. The same thing you should do. The same thing you WOULD do. I am not sure if I will ever be good at baseball but,I want to.
“Try your hardest and don't give up. Keep practicing everyday. You can do it. Just believe in yourself,” Daniel said.
“Thank you,” I replied,”I will keep practicing.”
After an hour of practicing I went home. I did my homework,ate dinner,put on pajamas,brushed my teeth,and went to bed. The same thing you do almost every night. I woke up,got dressed,ate breakfast,and brushed my teeth. The same thing you do almost every morning.
Right now I have a month till I am on a baseball team. I have been practicing for hours everyday. Trying hard when I throw the ball. Trying hard to hit the ball. Trying hard to catch the ball. It is not easy but,I am like you,I continue trying. Although I don’t think I will do great,win a game,or become a professional,I will keep trying.
The month has now passed and I am getting ready to go to practice. I am very nervous but,very excited. I can't wait to get to practice,I am just worried I won't do great enough for the first game we have in three weeks. I am nervous I won't do great at all. That's another thing we have in common,we both feel nervous for things,especially when it is the first time ever. As soon as we arrived I didn't know whether I wanted to get right out of the car and go straight to where we practice as quick as I could or hide under the car seat.
We spent an hour practicing then it was over. I did better than I thought I would. I was able to hit the ball a few times and I was good at throwing the ball. Now I just have to practice and wait for the three weeks to pass by!!
I was practicing with Daniel for hours every Saturday and Tuesday. I also had to practice with my team every Thursday. I would throw the ball. Throw again. Throw again. Throw again. Throw again. I would keep throwing the ball for 30 minutes then try to hit the ball. Someone would throw the ball and I would hit it(or at least try to hit it). Someone throws,I try to hit it. Try to hit it. Try to hit it. Try to hit it. 30 minutes of trying to hit the ball. I hit the ball a few times. I don’t think I will ever be able to hit the ball. I don’t even think I can play baseball. I don’t know if I want to continue trying
After the three weeks passed by,I was almost positive I wasn’t ready. I was not as good as other players. I am not even good enough to ever become a professional. Time went by slowly but at the same time quickly. Like I said,even after all the practice I don’t think I am ready. I am extremely nervous. When I got out of my mom’s car I just wanted to scream,I wanted to cry,and I wanted to give up. I guarantee you that have felt like this before. It is almost like you don't even know how you feel.
As soon as I got out of the car I asked myself,What if I fail? Will I ever become a professional baseball player? Am I even good enough to play baseball? I became much more nervous after thinking about that. What if I do fail though? Would anybody think I could become a professional baseball player? Would it prove that the people who didn't believe in me were correct? Was joining a baseball team even worth it? I already thought I was going to fail but,now I knew. It is like I was going to fight a thousand wolves. I would have no chance of winning in the battle. It would be one small boy against a thousand strong wolves.
I couldn’t stop thinking about my chances of losing. I remembered a time in my science class when we had a competition to review for a test. My team lost. The other team had 27 points and my team had 3 points. The entire team blamed it on me. What if this happens again? What would they think of me?
I stopped thinking about it when Daniel came up to talk to me.
“Are you excited?” Daniel asked me.
“A little but, I am very nervous,”I said. I could barely even walk. I was trembling and my hands were sweating. I could barely focus on anything. I was sweating so bad that I looked like I poured hundreds of buckets with warm water over me. I was trembling enough to make the world shake. It felt like I didn’t know anything.
“Why are you nervous?” Daniel asked.
“Because, what if I do horrible?” I said. I wanted to cry. I felt like everyone would hate me. I felt like everyone already hated me. I felt like everyone thought I was horrible. “What if I won't be able to become a professional baseball player? What if I won't be able to play baseball at all?”
“Calm down,”Daniel said to me,”You will do great. And if you do lose this game you have many more games with much more practice!”
I felt a little less nervous after speaking to Daniel. I had to get ready for the game. As I was walking up to the field Daniel yelled to me saying “Good luck!! You will do great!”
When the game started I was the first batter. I was holding the bat but,it didn't even feel like I could hold on because of my sweating hands. It felt like I was going to just drop the bat.
As soon as the pitcher threw the ball I made sure I hit it at the right time. I hit the ball. It was a home run! I didn't know how I wanted to react.
I realized something after I made a home run. I realized that I am capable of more than I thought I was. I didn’t think I was going to do good on my geography test,I knew I was. I didn’t think I was capable of doing anything,I knew.
My team ended up winning the game. After we won Daniel congratulated me.
“You did great!!” Daniel said to me.
“Thank you. I did better than I thought I could,”I replied.
“It is like when you helped me study for the science test. I didn't believe in myself but,you believed in me and told me I could do it if I believed in myself,” he said,”believe in yourself and you can do it.”
“I am happy that I won. Thank you so much for helping me,” I said.
“We can practice more if you want to,” Daniel said,”I had fun teaching you.”
“Sure.” I replied.
I am now halfway to my dream. I am playing on a baseball team,now I just need to become a professional. I am going to become a professional baseball player. I know it. When I do,I will be one of the best.
We learned that we are almost self-same people. We both try something,we both try hard,and then we both succeed. We both have hopes and dreams,we both have emotions,and we both learn new things. We are both different from the world and different from each other. We are both similar to the world and similar to each other. Although I have dwarfism,I am just like you.