Sabotage | Teen Ink

Sabotage

By CaraJ SILVER, Weldon, Illinois
CaraJ SILVER, Weldon, Illinois

My days are always pretty average that they’ve finally all started to blend together. The routine starts with the same thing every morning. I wake up late and lay in bed for ten more minutes, listening to my parents yell at me to get up with an I’m-very-annoyed-with-you tone. Then when I’m dressed and ready, I eat breakfast, running out the door, and get on the bus to go to school.

Walking into school is the one part of my day that I actually enjoy. I like to walk past the popular kids and watch as the nerds try to join conversations. The nerds in my school are dogs, obeying every command that comes out of a popular kids mouth. I like to watch the same kid get yelled at by the principle for smoking in the bathroom. And I like to watch as everyone stares at me when I walk in. I’m not considered as the weird kid in school and I’m also not considered unpopular. I am popular and very good looking. I just don’t have and real friends. I don’t trust people like a normal person should so I’ve never let anyone get close to me.
My morning classes fly by everyday because I do exactly what I’m told. My teachers don’t expect excellence like other schools do. They just want you to do what they say in a mediocre way so they too can get on with their day. I am fine with their methods because it make my life easier, but they’re not setting us up for success in the future.
Normally I hate lunch. Who likes to watch as people eat like pigs? Everyday I sit with the people I consider friends, and I watch them be slobs. Then I go to my afternoon classes which are just like the morning. That’s my day at school. It’s never exciting.
My home life is actually really good. I live in a nice house in a small suburb in New York, and my home is pretty average looking. I have one younger sister that is the one person I can say is my best friend, and a dog. My sister is only one year younger than me. Our age has always been the thing that makes us so close because we understand each other
As I walk into school the next day, I’m surprised by what I see. People aren’t gawking at me like normal. Instead they're watching as the principal directs a girl into the principal's office. She’s tall for a girl which is intimidating, but I can tell that I’m a couple of inches taller than her like I am with most guys because I’m 6’5”. I understand why everyone has directed their attention to her because she is flabbergasting, absolutely gorgeous. The bell rings, and everyone slowly walks to class, but they can’t take their eyes off the new girl, including me.
At lunch I decide to sit alone. Mostly because I’m really tired of the people at my normal lunch table, but a part of me is also hoping the new girl will sit with me. After I take the first bite of my hamburger, I see everyone’s head turn, mouths drop open, and eyes light up with shining sparkles like they do in the movies. The new girl walks into the cafeteria with such a confident stride like a movie star it almost makes my mouth drop too, but I keep myself together. She stands there for a second, deciding where to sit. Then her eyes are on me.  She slowly makes her ways towards me while everyone else in the cafeteria gives me a I’m-going-to-kill-you look because I was the chosen one.
“What’s a good looking guy like you doing sitting alone,” her voice is sweet like a sugar cookie right out of the oven.
I stared at her for a second then said, “Hi my name is Elijah and no I’m not Hebrew; my parents just liked the name.”
She laughed, and her smile was beautiful. Still laughing she said, “My name is Megan. I don’t normally like sitting by people. I don’t really like people in the first place, but you seem different.”
That’s when I knew that this girl is perfect for me. Until she sabotaged my entire life.

I wrote this piece for a school assignment.