Just a Normal Day | Teen Ink

Just a Normal Day

January 12, 2018
By stephaniekologrivov BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
stephaniekologrivov BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It was just a normal day. Lilah bursted into the yellow victorian she called her home with news for her mother. She finally arrived into the cozy home, perfectly decorated with every pillow fluffed and table dusted, and found her mother at her desk paying bills. She called to get her attention, but when that didn’t work, she just called her by her first name, Lori. Her rapunzel-like hair was up in a tight bun, her fidgeting hands toying with her faux diamond earrings. Life as a single mom couldn’t be harder, but the whole family loved their life. Lilah was the best older sister to her 3 siblings. It was just a normal day. What the family didn’t know was that this normal day would change their lives forever.
It was just a normal day, 15 years later. Logan left his home, exiting through his 8 car garage, riding in his newest Lamborghini. Each time a new one came out, he was prompt in buying it, but he had a soft spot for his ‘inexpensive’ Ferrari. He lived a life of leisure: he retired at 27. He opened a letter from his mother, wishing him a happy birthday. It was tradition for her to include a variety of lottery tickets. He read the card, his deep green eye released a tear, and he tossed the tickets into the glove box. Off he went, on his way to his company’s golf outing. He knew he’d win, but wanted to show his support and appreciation of the rest of the employees. It wasn’t entirely about the golf.
It was just a normal day. The stress of planning party after party was piling up, and Lori didn’t know how to deal with it. Four kids, a whole home to herself, a whole mortgage for herself. There had to be a way to make her life any easier. She sent her 3 daughters to the corner store to buy tickets. The lottery was at $400 million and whenever it got so high, Lori enjoyed testing her luck. She wasn’t sure whether it had run out yet.
It was just a normal day, 15 years later. Blaise packed up her bag and stuffed in a stack of papers that needed to be graded. It was already 5:00 when she was leaving the quiet little middle school. She had stayed so late only because she was a new advisor for a club. She knew nothing about the club, or how to run it, but needed the bonus. She got into her car and called her husband. They were newlyweds, and it was his birthday. They chatted, she wished him a happy birthday and stopped at the nearest convenience store to buy him lottery tickets. It was tradition.
It was just a normal day. After finishing writing the check for Lilah, Logan, Blaise, and Becca’s private school, Lori headed into the living room. She asked Lilah what could have been so exciting that she needed to interrupt her only time she had to do anything that she needed to get done. After arguing for a short period of time about how Lori always puts work before family, Lilah broke the news.
It was just a normal day, 15 years later. Becca made the ultimate decision to finally leave work after a 36 hour binge. She hadn’t left or stopped working for the whole 36 hours. She was doing everything in her power to improve her relationship with her boss. They got off on the wrong foot, and did everything in her power to fix that. It was no secret that to move up in the world it took some brown nosing. She did everything from finishing charts ahead of time to buying him lottery tickets at every holiday and special occasion. On her way home, she called her mom and ranted about all of her problems. She was overtired and stressed, feeling hopeless. Her mom was her good luck charm.
It was just a normal day. At last! Lilah could tell her mother. They had won all fortune possible on that day. The day began normal. The kids went to school, Lori worked all day. They came home, she fixed them an after school snack. They went on a walk to get some lottery tickets without the thought of the possibility of winning. It was just an activity; a game; a tradition. Somehow, Lilah had picked the lucky number. Her birthday. She thought it was counterintuitive to pick such a simple combination of numbers, but took the shot. And she won. That day began as just a normal day, and ended as what could have been the most important day of their lives.
Lori, a wise woman with morals and values made it her goal to not let this change their fate; their lives. They were fortunate enough to win so much money. But she knew that money would not define her or her children; that they must grow up and be who they would have been despite their financial situation.
Lilah grew up beautiful beyond compare: she had sparkling green eyes with thick dark ringlet curls framing her face. She was effortlessly gorgeous, but wasn’t one to flaunt it. When she thought about her future, she saw herself working in any field where she could change lives. Whether it was 1 life or 1000 lives, she wanted to make a difference. As she worked her way through school and programs and community service, she realized there was one place where she always felt at home, or felt like that was where she belonged. Child and family services. She had it tough once in awhile, but she had an amazing family and an amazing support system. She could relate to these families and these kids with terrible fortunes on an emotional level, from her experiences before her father passed away. She was perfect, and could talk anybody through anything. She had a talent. She was determined to pursue it.
Lilah was diagnosed with a severe disease at 21, just 5 years after her family’s fortune, and died just 3 years later. She passed at ease, but she had such great plans and ideas and intentions of changing the world for the better. Her purpose is the motivation for all of her siblings, especially her best friend and closest sister, Blaise. Blaise made it her mission to change as many lives as she could. To make somebody smile every day, whether it be from a compliment or from a true exchange of love and happiness.
Logan, Blaise, and Becca lead lives of opposition. A multi-billionaire, a coasting teacher, a desperate doctor. The variety could not be wider. These individuals could have come from any family, from any location, from any situation, all different. But they didn’t. Lori knew that their wealth would not define them. The kids were destined to grow up and who they would be, and she did everything necessary to protect their destiny. In her perspective, Lori was successful in the only thing that mattered to her. Her family reaching all of their highest potential. Her family achieving greatness.