Lottery Desolation | Teen Ink

Lottery Desolation

By LizzieSamarro BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
LizzieSamarro BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

Currently, I’m on my way to therapy, where I’m going to reflect on my mistakes from the past 10 years. I won the lottery 10 years ago, when I was 19. I’m now 29 years old, I have a low paying job, and I’m living alone.
$50 million. I never imagined having that much money. And I never imagined that much money ruining my life. I lost the money. I lost family members. I lost friends. And, years after I won, I was diagnosed with depression.
When I first won the lottery, I was shocked, confused. Do I spend it? Do I save it? Do I share it? I asked myself these questions, but I didn’t know the answer. I was young and naive, I had little experience with money. I didn’t know what to do with it. But although I was conflicted, I was overjoyed with all the money. I thought I would be set for life; I would never have to get a job because I had all the money I would ever need.
I set up a plan of how I would spend my money. First, I would donate half of the money to charity. Down to $25 million. Then, I would set $15 million aside for family members who needed it. Down to $10 million. I would pay off school, get myself a car, a house, and other unnecessary items I wanted. After all of this I figured I would definitely enough left to last me the rest of my life.
My plan didn’t work out. I did donate $25 million, but I got nothing else that I had originally wanted. Everything that went wrong started when I suddenly received a phone call just two hours after winning.
“Hi Aunt Needra, I haven’t talked to you in so long,” I said.
“I know! It’s so good to talk to you. How is your life going?” Aunt Needra said, subtly guiding me to share my news with her. But I wasn’t going to break that easily.
“Good, thanks for asking. How are you?”
“Oh I am so glad you asked! I am actually having some issues right now, I’m having a hard time paying for some things. You know, I have 7 kids in college and all. And… oh! I heard that you won the lottery!” she said, changing moods quickly. Here it was. The start of people asking for money.
I thought to myself, I don’t need all of this money. I can give some away to my family members. And she might need it.
“Yeah, I did. It’s a lot of money and I don’t know what to do with it… would you like me to give you some?” I replied.
“Oh, you are the best niece! Thank you so much! Bye sweetie, have a good day,” she then hung up the phone.
We later discussed how much money she needed, and by the end of that day I was at $23 million… still a lot of money.
To just give away $2 million was a lot, but since I still had $23 million, it barely made a dent. Because of this, I thought it was fine. Until the next day where I received four more calls. And the day after that, and the day after that, I continuously got calls.
The first call was from my Uncle Dinero.
“Hi, how are you?” I asked.
“Oh, thanks for asking. I’m doing fine, but…” Here it was, he was about to ask for money from me.
“I mean I hate to bother you, but I’m having a hard time at work, and my son’s school is expensive, and I know you won the lottery…”
“Sure, Uncle Dinero. You can have some money,” I took a deep breath as he thanked me. $21 million is my current amount. Calls were coming in at rapid speeds, and I was having issues with saying no. So when my family members and friends were all all asking for a little money, I gave in. Suddenly, after just 4 weeks, I was down to $7 million.
I was writing checks non stop for family members I hadn’t previously spoken to. I realized this was going to keep happening. Some people even called back and asked for more. My money was slipping from my hands and I was doing nothing to stop it.
With $7 million left, I still got calls, but didn’t have much left to give. I gave all that I could, until suddenly I was in debt.
Here I am, 10 years later. How fast I went into debt was insane. One of my friends found out I gave another friend more than her. She shut me out because she was unhappy with me.  My goal became making others happy, not myself. I hadn’t realized, at the time, how difficult of a position I was putting myself in. Everyone started shutting me out, and i was ultimately left with no one.
I tried to move on with my life, but my past mistakes continued to haunt me. I now realized how much I messed up. I got a job to pay back my debt. But with receiving only $200 a week, when I had gone $2 million in debt, it was extremely difficult. It was going to be years until I was financially stable again.
Money, which I thought would be the answer to all of my problems, ended up doing nothing except for causing more problems.
I was taken advantage of and while I thought I was being selfless, I was really just being irresponsible. Now as a smarter, yet sadder, version of myself, I realized what went wrong. The only thing I can do now is move on and forget my past.
My life now is different from what I ever imagined it being. I live alone, I am in debt, I am depressed, and I am disconnected from most family members and friends. Everything that I experience now is all because of what happened after I won $50 million.