Cookies | Teen Ink

Cookies

By EmCantEven SILVER, Chesapeake, Virginia
EmCantEven SILVER, Chesapeake, Virginia

Our story starts one cold December evening, two weeks before Christmas and one week before the traditional family trip up to Pittsburg. I was alone in the house that evening, my parents had taken my sisters out to get new decorations for the tree after the last years great kitten debacle, and I was left with the daunting task of making enough cookies for the extended family that I would be trapped with in less than seven days with a recipe that I had no hope to ever being able to read. It is an old Italian recipe, one passed down through the family; translated more times than I, or anyone else for that matter, can count, it is expected that whoever makes the cookies that year makes them properly, so I was left wondering why anyone had thought that leaving me, the kid who set microwavable ramen noodles on fire not two months ago, in charge of making over a hundred cookies was a grand idea. So, there I was a fourteen-year-old kid about to tackle the biggest challenge of her life, reading directions that were over a hundred years old and about as easily understandable as a doctor’s prescription written in cursive.

‘One cup of flour, three cups of sugar, two cups of water, not too difficult,’ I thought to myself as I preheated the oven to the temperature indicated on the recipe. That list became my mantra as I measured out each ingredient and added them into the others. As I scooped the raw dough onto the cookie sheet I thought to myself, ‘This seems a little watery,’ but who was I to question the family recipe – so I continued. I decided that they probably just needed to set up a little in the fridge, so I covered the bowl, moved a few things around, and placed them to, hopefully, set.

When the timer I set for the oven went off, I jumped up from where I was reading a book on the French Revolution and sprinted into the kitchen. I just stopped myself from grabbing the cookies, if you could call them that, out of the oven with my bare hands when my phone went off, I jumped as the sound of the Imperial March echoed through the house. My dad, the only person whose ringer I had set to that obnoxious, ear shattering volume, was calling me. Panicked, because that is what one does when one’s father calls them, I high-tailed it up to my room, leaving the oven not only open but the cookies still inside; which would have consequences later I assure you, to answer his call. As I spoke to him about what we planned to get my mom for Christmas, the smoke detector went off, the cookies, I had forgotten all about them, I said a quick goodbye to my father and raced back downstairs hoping beyond hope that he had not heard the alarm going off.
Needless to say, the cookies that I had so painstakingly forgotten about were nothing like the fluffy, almond cookies of my childhood. These cookies were the Stephen King version of my childhood: they melted together to form one single cookie, that was burnt around the edges and still raw near the middle; they were more sugar than cookie, and drier than the Sahara Desert. It was a disaster. I had single handedly ruined my family’s oldest tradition. 

I had to try again. I decided that it would not be my mistake that would ruin Christmas and threw out the ruined cookies and the offending still watery cookie dough. I picked up the monstrosity that was the old recipe and decided that I would figure out why the cookies did not work the first time around. That very moment I realized I read the recipe wrong. It was not three cups of sugar one cup of flour, it was three cups of flour, one cup of sugar. So, I fixed my recipe and made the cookies again, but when I tested the new cookies, although they were perfect, they were bland and boring, not what I wanted in a Christmas cookie. I set the dough off to the side and decided that I would experiment with the dough. I kept the bones of the recipe and scrapped everything else, I ended up with cookies that were either red or green colored and shaped like Christmas trees that tasted like almonds, vanilla, and orange. They were the best cookies that I had had in a while, and when it came time for my family to try them, my thoughts were mirrored. I had single handedly saved Christmas, and given myself a job for the next hundred or so years to come.