Goodbye | Teen Ink

Goodbye

By Goodbye_VA BRONZE, Cupertino, California
Goodbye_VA BRONZE, Cupertino, California

Some people in this world, hate saying goodbye. And some, hate when the world around them is changing. I belong to both these categories. The ups and downs, I had experienced in my life, made me believe, that the change is constant. Whether we like it or not, change is a part of life. I am the guy who hates change or saying goodbye, and this story is about me.

There was 6 seconds remaining in the game. Sweat was pouring down my face. The basketball was heavy in my hand and my ears started thumping. The other team was facing me and we were losing by one point. The other team looked viscous and you could tell that they didn't want me to score the point. The hoop was left open and I was about to shoot the ball. At the sidelines, my dad was cheering for my team. A roaring sensation of hope filled through me, as I saw my dad cheering and rooting for me. As seconds passed by, I dribbled past the other team, and went for the shot. It looked as if, the ball pushed past my fingertips, and went straight for the hoop.

I remember that once, me and my great grandma were sitting in the Linda Vista Park. It was the middle of a summer evening, and the burning heat was cooling down. The fresh green grass, glistened brightly as the sun shined on it. Small birds were chirping in the oak trees and the sky was bright blue. The cool breeze of air washed over me, as my great grandma started talking. “Vignesh, what do you want to be when you grow up?” my great grandma asked. I said, “I don’t know, grandma. I just want to be happy.” She hugged me and told me that she cared so much for me. I felt a lot content that day, to know that someone was always there for me.

These days, my great grandma visits the hospital frequently. The doctors say that she suffers of a heart disease that I could barely pronounce. I regularly come to visit her, with a bouquet of flowers, and I assure her that everything is going to be okay. One evening, I visited my great grandma at the hospital. My great grandma welcomed me with open hands as always and chuckled in her soothing voice. “Vignesh, how are you?” I sat in a chair next to her and said, “I’m fine. How are you?” My great grandma replied,“I am well, Vignesh. My time is coming up. My last months and days are coming to an end. I said,“No, please don’t talk like that. I don’t know what will I do, when you're gone. I gripped the chair with a huge amount of force. I told to myself that this would never happen and she’s not going to leave me. As if my great grandma read my mind, she said,“Vignesh, everybody has to die at a point in their life. Please tell me Vignesh. Please tell me that you'll say goodbye.” I said,“I’ll try,”and left the room. I was sure that I could not do that and will not do that.

As if it was slow motion, the ball sailed forward to the hoop. I watched as it hit the backboard, but, I was wishing that it would go into the hoop. The ball hit the rim, and fell on the ground with a thud. It seemed like the worst moment of my life. I looked at the sidelines and saw my dad talking on the phone, with a shocked look. I high fived the other team, saying that it was a good game. I ran to my dad and he was still in a state of shock. I asked,  “ What happened, dad? Is everything okay?” My dad looked at me and said, “Vignesh, your great grandma is dead.” I started getting dizzy, my hands were on my head, and my ears were throbbing with pain. People started fading from my sight, as the tears came down from my eyes. I made a fist and hit the bleacher as hard as I could. “No, No, No, No,” I told to myself. This can not be happening. With that, I crumpled to the ground.

After I found out that my great grandma died, I was devastated. It still brings me a great sorrow, remembering that I never got to say goodbye to her. We look forward to some changes in life, but some changes are forced upon us. When I look back, I cherish all the  pleasant memories and the good moments I had with my great grandma. It makes me remember the good old times and life lessons she taught me. It made me realize that we have to live life to the fullest. Go and have fun with your friends and family, and make memories with them! Spend time with the people close to you, because that might be your last time with them. So the next time you have a family member in their deathbed, try not to make the mistake like me and be brave enough to say goodbye; and always aim for the hoop. Goodbye!

I was inspired to write this article from the loss of my great grandma. She took care of me and helped to move on, during rough times. I dedicated this story to her in hopes that people will spend time with their family.