the world above | Teen Ink

the world above

September 15, 2017
By maya__salem BRONZE, Austin, Texas
maya__salem BRONZE, Austin, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

A girl and her little brother are in the foster system and have been kicked out of many homes because the sister believes believes that the world above is real. They get to a home with a pertty sketchy care take little do they know that there beleif in a "fairy tale" puts them on track for an amazing adventure 

Chapter 1: the world above

The World Above


The world above was just a story no one believes in or so we were told. When I was growing up we were all told not to talk,or even think of the world above but I would not listen, all I could do was think about was the world above. Is it a real place and how can I get there? Every time I brought up the subject to the other foster kids they thought I was crazy for thinking that it was a real place. They said if no one can find it then it doesn't exist and even if it was a real place there is no way I would be able to get there. I started to believe them until one day a letter that showed up with a map to the world above. The letter also said that if I reach the world above I will find out about where I am truly from.
The next morning I awoke to a banging sound and screaming “GET UP GRACYN” I jolted up and out of bed and I screamed back “JAY, I AM 12 YEARS OLD I CAN GET UP BY MYSELF”. I walked through a doorway that is basically growing chipped paint into a room of crack walls, rats, and a smell of rotting food. Then I sit down at a table that won't stop rocking back and forth to eat. Suddenly the smell got worse and I knew Ms.Hannah entered the room. She was going on about how we kids are not worth the money and how she would be living in a three story luxury home without us. After a while of calming down the drunk beast, I noticed from across the moldy old wooden table that Jay was sitting right in front of me the whole time. “JAY” I screamed, keeping in mind that Jay is a five year old, I calmed down and helped him get ready for school. On our way to school we walked along the same path we do every day but for some reason it felt different the allies were darker, the smell was stronger, and the cracks in the road were bigger. Then suddenly Jay just stopped and said “what's in your pocket” I reached into my pocket and to my surprise the map was in it. I thought to myself I left this under my bed how did it get here. Just then a whisper called out our names I froze but Jay followed the sound so I ran after him into a dark alley. “MS.HANNAH!” I screamed. “GIVE ME THE MAP!” Ms.hannah screamed back in shock I grabbed Jay and ran.
After running for a while I checked behind me to see if Ms.Hannah had followed, after I was sure she hadn't then I checked the map, we were going in the right direction but it was deeper into the jet black darkness. At this point Jay was confused and started with the classic five year old questions like where are we going? How much longer? I replied we are going away from Ms.Hannah and he proceeded to ask Why? I simply replied with because I said so. As the darkness deepened it got colder and colder until we opened a door into complete light. I then saw out of the corner of my eye that a man had flipped a switch I grabbed Jay and ran to the other corner all I remember is hearing BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!there was an explosion. After the explosion, I stood up and ran towards the man and screamed, “LEAVE US ALONE!” All the sudden the objects in the room crushed the man against the glowing white ground. I go over to ask him what he is trying to accomplish, and that's when Jay said “ Ms.Hannah sent him.” I replied, “ how did you know that?” He said back it says it on his head. I turned and said “no”. Then Jay decided to do that thing that all five year olds do and says “ YES IT IS!” Followed by a raspberry right at my face. I then had a realization I just sent all those things flying with a scream.
Before I had time to think the glowing white room proceeded back into the black hole of an alley that seemed as if the darkness went on forever. We kept walking into the darkness until Ms. Hannah approached us out of nowhere then whispered “ If you want something done right, YOU GOT TO DO IT YOURSELF!” She ran behind us and tried to get the map I stopped her and asked “why do you hate us?” She said “you are different then the rest of us, you two are from the world above you don't belong anywhere you shall die.” “NO WE WON'T,” I screamed back sending all the walls to bend in and burry Ms.Hannah. We ran out into a blazing light, and with one look, I knew Jay and I were home.


The author's comments:

I wrote this because my grandfather loved the storys I wrote. I am also trying to convert this short story in to a full length book but I am still working on it.