An Unforgettable Night | Teen Ink

An Unforgettable Night

June 11, 2017
By LoganMcGivern BRONZE, Waterford, Michigan
LoganMcGivern BRONZE, Waterford, Michigan
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Awhile ago, I experienced something that was life changing. It opened my eyes up to a whole other perspective on life. It changed my life completely. I lost weight, felt good and overall, from this experience my life got better.

Me and my friend were talking in the hallways. We were being immature, talking about girls and usual things young boys would talk about. Eventually, our conversation had finished and we had to part ways. But before we left each other, he asked me to sleep over at his house. I had never been to a sleepover before, but I figured it would be fun so I happily agreed.

I immediately started packing when I got home, eager to go over his house and hang out. As soon as I finished, my parents agreed to drive me over. My leg continuously went up and down, up and down. I couldn’t control myself. I thought to myself, tonight is going to be awesome.

I arrived at his house and immediately I was having a blast. We started off by playing basketball, then we gathered a group of his neighbors and played tackle football, and then after that chilled in his basement and played NHL on his xbox and mini sticks. Unfortunately, my friend and his friends always beat me in everything because I was overweight and out of shape. I wanted to lose weight, but I just couldn’t find the motivation to do it. It was a typical, but extremely fun night. When we finished each activity I would be out of breath and after a while however my stomach started to hurt, bad. I ran to the bathroom and unloaded the cargo ship. It was like a dam had burst and it just wouldn’t stop coming out.
“Ugh, I shouldn't have eaten all the cookies” I whispered to myself, while clutching my waist.

After that had finished my stomach started to growl. Another sharp pain shot up through my stomach, but this time it felt different. I began to crave food, and began to realize I was hungry. When wasn’t I hungry? I asked my friend where he kept all of his chips, and if he had some pizza left over from previous nights. What I heard next, I had never heard before in my entire life.
“My parents don't buy that type of food, only healthy stuff” my friend said.

What was I going to eat? I didn’t have my delicious junk food and pizza to eat and there was no way I was going to eat that disgusting, healthy, gluten free bullcrap. I thought I was going to starve. I curled up into a ball like a turtle retreats into its shell on the ground and silently weeped in agony. My friend tried to help me by bringing me a tomato, and I chucked it across the room. There was no way I was going to eat something that was bloodshot red and grew from a weed.

The night progressed, and my hunger only got worse. I tried to persuade my friend into ordering pizza, or something similar to that, but he wouldn’t budge. He kept telling me that his parents would be furious if he got caught ordering pizza, and told me just to eat something they had here. I rummaged throughout the kitchen, hoping to find something that would satisfy my hunger. No luck, I was convinced I wouldn’t make it out of his house alive.

I tried calling my parents to take me home so I could eat some food, they laughed at my request and told me the same thing my friend had been telling me the entire night, to eat something healthy. I hung up in anger and didn’t know what to do. I tried everything, I was officially desperate. I look at the dented tomato that sat on the counter, and I knew in order to stop the pain I had to eat the vegetable.

I stared at it for a good 5 minutes as my friend chanted my name in the background. I was playing a mental game of king of the hill with my hunger, and I was losing. I don’t lose, I thought to myself. I picked up the tomato and without any hesitation, took a bite out of it. The flavors rushed through my mouth. The sweet, sour and savoury tastes all combined into one, creating a flavor I had never tasted before. I never knew that these healthy, good for you foods tasted so good. I started stuffing my mouth with various fruits and vegetables, enjoying every single bite.

Now that I found a good tasting, healthy food I enjoyed, I could began a controlled diet and began to lose some weight and get into better shape. The bad thing is when my diet started, I could no longer eat the foods I was cherished and praised. But the more important thing is that i'm in shape, not overweight and happy with my life.







 


The author's comments:

This peice was inspired by the failure of another peice that I was trying to write. The point that I was trying to get across to my readers is that its ok to eat healthy and that if you do, you'll feel a lot better too!