My Last Season In Ohio | Teen Ink

My Last Season In Ohio

By 12.gage BRONZE, Mount Sterling, Ohio
12.gage BRONZE, Mount Sterling, Ohio

"The other sports are just sports. Baseball is a love" (Bryant Gumbel).

I could barely sleep that night. Trying to sleep knowing that the next morning would be the last time play baseball with my friends. I wish my parents wouldn’t have to move to New York for their stupid jobs. So the next morning came and I haven’t told any of my friends or even the coach that I was moving so I waited until we played all of our games and the tournament was over. When they were over I walked over to my coach and told him what was going on. We said our goodbyes then we went on our different ways. Then came all of my teammates and friends this was the hardest part. Onen by one I went up to them and told them that I was leaving for New York later that month. They were all in shock and became upset. I wanted a picture with each of them and a final team picture but they told me that I had to wait until later. I was confused because I didn’t know what was going on or what was going to happen. My parents told me to load up the car with my bags and to get in since it was time to leave. But I was still confused about why my teammates wouldn’t get a picture with me since we weren’t ever going to be able to see each other for awhile or ever again. On the way home my parents asked me if I was hungry and I told them I was and we went to a restaurant. While we were waiting to get seated my dad went out to the car to get something that he had forgotten as my mom and I went to get seated. As he was walking back to the table he had a white box with a clear plastic see through part at the top. I asked him what it was and he told me to wait and that I will find out later. A couple minutes went by and then all of a sudden I see my teammates, their parents, and my coach. At that moment I was in shock because I wasn’t expecting anyone to eat with us. Then I realized it was a goodbye party and that everyone knew about it since my parents had planned all of this. We ordered our food and ate then came the best part. My dad had bought me a chocolate cake with my team colors as the icing which was red and white and on the cake said we will all miss you with a team picture on it. I usually don’t cry or anything but at that moment a whole river full of tears had made their way down my cheeks. As we were all having a blast our parents were tired and wanted to get home so we payed the bill and walked to the cars. As we were walking to our car one of my friends Alec came up to me and said, “Ready for those pictures you were wanting”. So we ran back up to the sidewalk and we all gathered around and took our last team picture. Then I said my final goodbyes and we all headed back home. They had made my final baseball season the best I have ever had in my life. Now it is time to go to New York and start all over from scratch.