Sunflower This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

The beaming sun rays burn my pale skin to a crimson red. This will create fresh freckles that dance on my sweet skin, as if milk chocolate was drizzled onto me. Though the burn stings continuously, the coolness of the gelatinous aloe vera will later soothe me to sleep long after the sun has given way to the brightness of the moon. Right now, however, I am more concerned with the adventure that awaits me.
The golden color of the sunflower petals drip like butter into my eyes, consuming my mind and soul with utter and blissful happiness. The never-ending viridescent leaves remind me of the rustling bushes and trees that whisper at my window sill at night, begging me to let them in, to shield them from the violent winds.
It dawns on me that everything that consumes the universe is desperately attempting to hide from its problems or the source of its problems; whether it be the bushes and trees trying to rid of the wind, or me trying to escape the deathly heat that allows obnoxious sweat to trickle down my bare back. Whether it be the rain drops racing their competitors on the passenger’s side of the car window or the adult crane flies that terrorize my vast bedroom to escape from the humidity of the outdoors and to instead thrive off the light casted from the three working lightbulbs on my ceiling.
I had originally fled to the sunflowers fields to avoid school responsibilities. I had told myself I was going to indulge in an adventure, but I didn’t find it in those fields. Instead, what I found, was enlightenment.
Everyone is striving to outrun their problems. What I learned from those sunflower fields, however, is that the more you attempt to run from your troubles, the more you will realize that they will continuously breed until you finally confront them. For example, I ran from the responsibilities that chained me down to school only to be newly challenged by the bursting heat of midday.
The sunflower fields have allowed me to realize that there is no need to outrun my difficulties. I must face them head-on because the decisions that sprout out of those problems will allow me to grow like the golden sunflower I am destined to be.
But for now, the solitude is nice.

Luckystar78This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 11 at 5:51 pm
The beginning theme; is really artistic, and unique!