Conflict Resolution | Teen Ink

Conflict Resolution

By Redz410 BRONZE, Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania
Redz410 BRONZE, Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania

“I think this will be interesting,” Kate said as she pushed the door open.
“I know! I can’t believe that many people showed up,” Rebecca replied as she strolled beside her best friend, Kate.
“Yeah, I don’t think we have ever had that many people sign up,” Kate commented as they walked through the student parking lot.  “At least now we have an advantage, since we’re finally seniors.”
“Finally, right?” Rebecca laughed and pulled out her car keys as they approached their cars, which were always parked next to each other.
“So,” Kate paused before opening the car door, “what role are you auditioning for?”
“I was thinking about auditioning for Sandy," Rebecca confidently stated.
“Oh,” Kate sighed and looked down.
Rebecca closed her car door and didn’t get in.  “What?” she said, already knowing Kate’s reply.
“Well, it’s just …,” Kate hesitated.
“Let me guess; you wanted the part.” Rebecca said, crossing her arms in front of her and leaning back against her car.
“Yes, I do want the part!” Kate said in a c***y manner..
Rebecca raised her eyebrows in amusement. “Great.”
“Well, we both can’t go out for the same part,” Kate asserted.
“No, we can not,” Rebecca replied and stuck her hands in the back pockets of her blue faded jeans.
Kate opened the passenger door of her car and threw her backpack onto the seat. “I think you should audition for Frenchy; you would fit the part.”
“Oh, of course you would do that,” Rebecca pouted.
“Do what?” Kate asked and let go of the string from her sweatshirt with which she had started to nervously fumble.
“Of course, I would have to audition for a different part,” Rebecca replied, rolling her eyes.
Kate moved her focus from Rebecca’s fierce eyes to the string once again. “It’s just, I have been in the shows longer, and have more experience with lead roles, and …” Kate muttered.
“Oh yeah, I forgot, “ Rebecca fired back. “You are better than everyone.”
“No... no... that’s not what I meant …”
“You know what,” Rebecca paused and opened her car door, “ I am just gonna go.”
“Wait, no!” Kate threw herself toward Rebeccca’s car door and held it open. “That’s not what I meant.”
“Certainly sounded like it to me,” Rebecca said sitting in her car while Kate continued holding back the door.
“Listen, I just meant that we should audition for the parts that fit us more,” Kate said.
“Oh, so the lead role fits you more?” Rebecca shot back and nodded her head, astounded about how the conversation was panning out.
“No…” Kate paused and smirked “well actually…”
“Really?” Rebecca laughed, “You might as well just say it.”
Kate grinned and loosened her grip on the car door. “I’m joking.”
Rebecca grabbed the interior door handle and pulled the car door shut once again.
“I’m joking! I’m joking!” Kate said, laughing through her words and opened up Rebecca’s car door once again.
“Uh-huh, sure you are,” Rebecca said, still with a serious tone.
“You can audition for the part,” Kate stated.
“Yeah and have you ignore me, and be upset if I get the part?”
“I would not,” Kate replied with a sarcastic undertone.
“You so would.” Rebecca looked Kate in the eyes and smirked.
“I promise you I will not,” Kate said trying to be serious.
Rebecca glanced at her watch and started her car.
“As long as you promise you won’t be upset, I will audition.” Rebecca looked over at Kate.
“If you don’t audition, I will be upset.” Kate stated firmly,  opening her squeaky car door.
Rebecca said jokingly,  “Sounds like you might need some Grease.”

I wrote this in my creative writing class. I got the idea from an arguement I over heard about the play (High School Musical) going on in our school.