THE LITERARY GAZETTE: A fantastical, surrealist piece

POET SMASHES TENNYSON’S VOICE
An anonymous writer has destroyed the original taping
of great Victorian poet
Alfred Tennyson’s voice:

THE WORLD HELDS ITS breath as the dulcet tones of renowned poet Alfred Lord Tennyson vanished from its trophy-like place in the British Library Archives in the early hours of Sunday.

In a sinister twist, the global powerhouse institution had been locked at the time of the crime, leading the British Library to launch an inquiry into its own lax security system and failure to detect the elusive robber. He or she left the ruined remains of the late 19th-century tape alongside a crumbled note signed simply: ‘Poet’. This case of literary vandalism has stunned the arts world, leading to protests and a £25,000 bounty over the head of the unidentified writer. If one thing is clear in this startling illustration of nighttime robbery, it is that the poet, like a hunter in the night, stole away with the archive like a sophisticated thief in the ravages of winter.

MAKING WAVES IN THE MODERN WORLD: HOW VIRGINIA WOOLF’S FAMOUS NOVEL HAS BEEN REVIVED FOR A NEW BBC DRAMA:

ON MONDAY NIGHT, THE BBC WILL SCREEN SCOTTISH WRITER, PRODUCER AND DIRECTOR ALEXANDRA RYAN’S ADAPTATION OF VIRGINIA WOOLF’S 20TH-CENTURY MASTERPIECE, ‘THE WAVES’. MS RYAN, 37, CLAIMED OF HER THREE-PART DRAMA: “MY CREATIVE VISION HAS COME IN WAVES (LAUGHS) THROUGH WOOLF’S INTENSE, INNOCENT EXPLORATION OF THE DEATH OF CHILDHOOD AND THE RAW UNCERTAINTY OF ADULTHOOD AFTER OUR FREE, YOUTHFUL BEGINNINGS. I CAN ONLY HOPE TO DO JUSTICE TO SUCH A MAGINIFICENT, CANNY WORK OF LITERATURE.”  THE PIECE WILL CONTAIN AN ALL-STAR CAST, INCLUDING DOWNTON AND WAR AND PEACE STAR HEATHER JAMES; JANE ANDERSON; TOBY FIELDING; AND MAGPIE WILLIAMS. ALEXANDRA RYAN’S HOUR-LONG FIRST INSTALMENT OF HER DRAMA ‘THE WAVES’ IS SCREENED ON BBC1 AT 8 PM ON MONDAY.