Aleppo | Teen Ink

Aleppo

By jakel396 BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
jakel396 BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

In the midst of a land full of destruction, I woke up to yet another explosive blowing up somewhere in the distance. I ran outside only to find others around me desperately trying to defend themselves and their families. It was rare that I came across a united family in which not a single member hasn’t been separated or killed. Before I knew what to do next, the rest of my family came running out of the house. My parents were going to check on my grandparents, and my sister was sent to grab some supplies. They thrusted the hand of my little brother's into mine. They told me to meet them by a fig stand by the market in the town square. I started my way, but then I remembered a bracelet, his bracelet. It was originally Adnan's, a friend who died just a few months ago. His parents gave me it just days after his death. I ran back into the house to find the bracelet, and while doing so, I heard other explosions occur. Then, my brother and I begin our run to the center of town.
Throughout the walk, I could not see anything but dust and debris, which came from buildings and places that were destroyed by the terrorists. However, it would be inaccurate to claim that this land was always full of such chaos. Despite not having much when I was younger, feelings of joy and unity were never scarce before in our close knit community. I often reminisced over the childhood days when Adnan and I would pretend to play soccer with a red, rubber ball that my parents gave to me as a gift. My personal favorite memories, however, were when our parents would even buy us sweet baklava drizzled in honey. Those younger, like my little brother, never had the privilege to have such experiences. They only knew a time of bombings and shootings all around them ever since the day they were born.
As I look back to see the vast field that we ran through, I notice an enormous tank headed towards my home, where the rest of my family still was. I was easily able to identify the tank - it was a 9K33 Osa. Attached to it, there were various missiles and weapons, and I knew that the terrorists were the ones operating them. It is rare that I see such a dangerous vehicle raid an area and not shatter everything to pieces. Desperately wanting to go back to ensure my family’s escape, all I could do is continue to in my own direction and hope for the best. My little brother wept beside me, as even he was able to comprehend what was occurring.
When I finally reached the town square, I was disturbed at what I saw. The entire area was in ruins. Flames sparked fiercely among the recently attacked vicinity and few people could be seen trying to escape. But away from the people who managed to get out safely, I also saw the corpses of many dead Syrians. I hovered around the area with tears shedding onto my face, as I recognized one of these dead bodies; it was Ahmed, one of my other childhood friends. I took off my bracelet and with great care, placed it around Ahmed's wrist. The bracelet was no longer simply just a commemoration for Adnan; it was a promise to keep fighting through this state of difficulty in honor of those who had died.