Female | Teen Ink

Female

December 12, 2016
By Jamie101 BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
Jamie101 BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I’m a girl. And like every other girl, I’ve been underestimated. People just act different. They don’t think they’re doing any harm, but they actually are. These people are encouraging male dominance in our society. And it gets stronger every day because really stupid men decide that they are better.


One time I was helping carry things into the foundation of what will soon become “Equipo Academy.” As a couple of friends and I were nearing the end of our break with cackling laughter and cold water, I saw a man walk towards us. I drank my water with an urgent rush, thinking that he might yell at us for taking a break. I don’t remember much of how he looked like, but he looked important. And he was really tall!
“I need some help moving these tables. Can I get some of you to help me?” he asked.
“Yeah!” we said in unison.
“Great! I’ll just pick a handful of you,” he remarked.
He picked from a variety of our group. The one thing that was consistent throughout all his volunteers were they were all boys. As they all left to help this tall man, I looked back at what was remaining. Me, one more female, and two guys.


I don’t know if no one noticed, but he literally picked all boys. Maybe he didn’t do it intentionally and just wanted the girls to be safe. Maybe he felt that men were stronger and a lot better for this task. As the remaining of us kept conversation, this moment just clinged to my head. I might be overreacting. Or I might be speaking the truth.


It’s not that big of a deal, I know. All this man is doing is just picking us to help him with moving boxes. But, he just needs to be more open-minded. You can’t do actions like that without adding to the division of society. I know now to be more open with how people are being subjected to society. And to speak up, even if people like this guy don’t think he did anything wrong. Women will forever and always be equal and strong as men!


The author's comments:

I wanted to write something that I feel needs to be out in the world, and that´s social issues. I hope for people to learn from this and maybe inspire other people to help with what we´re living with.