The curious case of my Valedictorian Speech | Teen Ink

The curious case of my Valedictorian Speech

By smishra SILVER, New Delhi, Other
smishra SILVER, New Delhi, Other

“we all suffer in our different ways from being prisoners of birth.”
― Jeffrey Archer, A Prisoner of Birth

When I was young,I watched a lot of television. It was mainly cartoons but I still killed the precious few brain cells I had. As I got older and entered the angst ridden stage of repeated proclamations of how no one understood me, I moved onto watching shows about other adolescents whom no one understood. These were usually American. Somehow,all of the shows I selected,had to have a graduation ceremony. And it was something I had never seen before. Blue gowns, square hats,graduation gifts and a proper ceremony filled my vision. My favourite part was the valedictorian's speech. The funny part is,the valedictorian was almost always the angst ridden kid who is actually brilliant. Anyways, the speeches were inspiring,moving,hilarious and perfect. And somehow,the idea of being a valedictorian got into my hormone riddled,warped mind.While others dreamed of actors and/or actresses, I dreamt of giving the perfect speech. While others bought pretty clothes,I wondered what colour my graduation gown would be. While my friends were living it up in the present,I was transfixed on the future. But then,reality struck me like a bolt of lightning. Three things destroyed my state of utter bliss:
I wasn't smart enough to be a valedictorian. Refer to earlier note on cartoons and dead brain cells
We didn't have a system of valedictorians
I repeat,we didnt have a system of valedictorians
So,there I stood. All my dreams were dead. The aangst inside of me could only be understood by GreenDay. Slowly,I got over the disappointment. I moved onto watching a show about a psychopath who is actually a high functioning sociopath. It really did help my mental health. I was better for two years.My friends commented on how I did not wistfully look in the direction of blue clothes anymore. My mother was happy I had given up on make believe television shows and instead,read books about a make believe world of magic. But then,disaster struck. Somehow,Senior year arrived and all my previous dreams about being the impossible came rushing back. Oh,the pain. I had to admit,my life was unfulfilled. Who cared about friends and family if I couldn't fulfill my teenage dream. So,i shuffled about,depressed. But then,the limited brain cells I did have left,got a brilliant idea. What if,I wrote the valedictorian speech I would have delivered had things worked out my way. So,ditching my economics textbook,I got onto finish what really mattered. I owed it to my past angst ridden and misunderstood self.

And what a magnificent time I had writing it. It was equal parts funny and inspiring. It was a speech which would have put professional speech makers to shame. However,these speech makers had the sense to do something I did not. They saved their speeches. I did not. I forgot to click on the little button on the left side on the panel and shut down my laptop. And so was lost the greatest gift to mankind . Okay,maybe it wasn't the greatest but you get the gist.

The speech was lost forever. It had included my gratitude for my parents for not kicking me out of their house . My love for them and their love for me even though I am an annoying human being was highlighted upon. I finally expressed my admiration for the system of education that made me suffer all these years. There were even a few lines about my friends and how brilliant they are for handling me all the past years. I believe I have improved their personalities quite a bit. There were quotes from Star Wars and Peter Nivio Zarlenga. And they were so inspiring. There were clever quips and incidents from my life which would have made the audience laugh and cry. I would have gotten a standing ovation and then all of us would have burst out in a dance sequence.I think I am imagining Footloose. But it was brilliant and now you,my reader,will never get to see it.

Siddhi from the past would be so disappointed that she would darken the eyeliner around her eyes and burn some dolls.

All I can say is:C’est La Vie’.