Making the All-Star Team | Teen Ink

Making the All-Star Team

By Arnav BRONZE, Cupertino, California
Arnav BRONZE, Cupertino, California

The day so far was filled with an extreme amount of anxiety. The Cupertino National Little League baseball season had just ended and we were going to have the team party. The most overlooked part of this gathering was definitely the announcement of the All-Star team. In the practically empty, dead park we ran around, had food, and had an all-around great time.

After a while of this, our coach had called us in for a meeting. Being as stubborn as we were, we didn’t come in. Coach was a very busy man, and to add to that he had to assemble this. As soon as we heard our coach shouting, “COME HERE” in a tired, strained voice, we knew he was fed up. The whole bunch  of us sat in the dead grass filled with holes and flies just looking for the chance to land on the food we had just picked up,  waiting until coach gave out our cheesy gift bags consisting of baseball rubber ducky, some old baseball cards, and lame awards.

Before we dispersed we had to listen to the coach telling us who made the All-Star Team. “This year there are only 2 players from our team joining us,” coach said as I heard some mumbling from the kids and parents. At first, he announced the 12/13 year old all-star team and some of my best friends made it. I was very happy for them, but really I was just waiting to see if I would make it.

Finally, he told us who was on the 10/11 all-star team. The tension was building inside of me, but I told myself that if I didn’t make the team I wouldn’t get down on myself. Inside I knew this wasn’t going to change anything. “DEREK HSIAO” shouted our coach. He made the team every year and no one was surprised. Now I knew the competition was going to get tough, because out of the 7 players left I knew there was only one spot remaining. As the coach waited for the rest of the kids to quiet down, I looked at all the other competition and gave them the evil eye. I had a feeling inside of me saying, “you're not going to make it, your nothing compared to these kids.” I told myself to not think like that, and that I have a good shot at this“ARNAV REDDY” was yelled out by the coach as I tried to keep all of my excitement inside of me. To be honest, I peed myself a little, it was a great feeling and I couldn't have been any happier. My parents had a big smile on their face and I could tell they were proud.

The summer break had just ended and the team was assembled. The first day of practice started, and I noticed that the rest of the team was probably a lot better than I was. I also noticed that they didn’t have a single catcher besides me, so I knew I wouldn’t be a 3rd string benchwarmer.  I had to play catcher during practice and the first pitch came at me faster than I have ever seen before. I missed the ball and fell backward. “Great, the coach probably thinks I suck now,” were the only words going through my head.

Just like Cupertino always does, we lost in the First Round. It was ok because, even though our team was nothing compared to the others, I knew that I made it to a team that had the best of the best players of Cupertino.

We may not have done well compared to other teams like San Jose and Los Gatos, but I knew that I didn’t play terribly and that I’m better than I think I am.

I wrot ethis article as part of my class work, but I really wanted to share this story with more people. The story I wrote means a lot to me. I hope once people read my story, they will get to know me better and they will have an understanding about how I felt.