Life Changing Seconds

I never knew my life could change in seconds'until today.

As I stepped into the huge red-bricked building the wind of the door opening blew my hair and my stomach was in knots, getting tighter with every step. I pulled my lips in trying to withdraw from screaming. My thoughts raced, running into one another and making horrible ideas and endings to my life. He was at the doctor for the third time but who cares? Ruining my school life is way out of line; he always thinks about himself and only himself. Mark has always been the favorite child because he's an angel, the middle child, the star of the basketball team and having a 4.0. I play basketball, have a 4.0, and I'm the baby so life is even harder on me. I never get anything compared to him.

'Annika, we're home from the doctor!' My mom yelled from the front door. Finally, she returns with the world's worst brother.

'Okay!' I say running down the stairs into my brother.

'Why did you do it? I demand.

'What? What are you talking about?' He throws his hands up, palms facing me as if I held a gun to his chest.

'I'm talking about everyone feeling sorry for me and being my new best friend. Did you threaten them or did you tell them I have six months to live?' I take a step closer.

'Gosh Annika, it doesn't always have to do with you.' He says tossing himself roughly onto the couch.

'Then what is it? You have six months to live?' I say growing red in the face.

'Close. One year.'