Point Of View | Teen Ink

Point Of View

By Julia Rawnsley SILVER, Omaha, Nebraska
Julia Rawnsley SILVER, Omaha, Nebraska

Will's story:

Paul finally showed up while we were in the middle of playing a level in Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2. I don't know what we're going to do next hanging out-wise, but I wanted to get to the next save spot before I shut it off. We sat on the couch for awhile, and I made sure to pull Kristen in close to me. I was bored, and decided it would be funny to start tickling her. She's so cute when she's being tickled. She kept on telling me to stop, but I figured it wasn't a big deal. I mean, I tickle her sometimes when we're being all cute, and Paul's one of our best friends and it isn't a big deal. When I did stop, which was because I was out of breath if I may add, she became really quiet and distant. I felt it was soon getting awkward, so I suggested we meander down to the basement. Shortly after, Kristen and Paul went back up to the kitchen because they were hungry, and they talked for awhile again. I knew I had made her upset, and this made me upset as well. She's so moody and I don't understand her sometimes. I always mess up with these things, and I hate myself for it. Thankfully, Nick and Tyler came over, which I was pretty excited for. Nick had just installed World of Warcraft on his laptop and both of them were spending the night, so I thought it would be a good time. Kristen continued to be distant and talk with Paul for the whole time until Paul left. And then, after he left, she goes on to talk to her friend on the phone outside for forty-five minutes! When she came back inside and attempted to talk to me and get my attention, I ignored her attempts. After all, it felt like she had been doing the same to me all evening. She then got angry and stormed upstairs and didn't come back down until I have to drive her home, which made me feel even worse. I didn't know what to say to make things better; I never do.
Kristen's story:

As soon as Paul came over, I was antsy to turn off the video game. I do enjoy playing Baldur's Gate, but it is only a two player game and I doubt it is very stimulating for Paul to watch two of his friends play a game he has no interest in. We sat on the couch for awhile, pondering what to do for the evening, myself sitting in between Will and Paul. I talked to Paul for a bit because I hadn't caught up with him in awhile. Will was holding me in a way, which is normal, but then he started tickling me mercilessly. I grew tired of this quickly and kept on telling him to stop, even trying to physically deter him, but he wouldn't. I felt embarrassed in front of Paul. It would look like to an outsider that I let my boyfriend walk all over me, and get away with ignoring me. We three sat quiet for awhile before he suggested we head on down to the basement. Will got really quiet and distant like he does when he's depressed, so I decided I would chat with Paul for awhile while we got something to snack on. Will gets in these moods and it's basically up to chance as to when he gets out of them. Luckily, more prolonged awkward silences were saved by Nick and Tyler, who arrived with their laptops. Will, Nick, and Tyler decided to play and talk about World of Warcraft for the next two and a half hours. Needless to say, Paul and I were bored out of our minds so continued to make small talk about being vampires, text Molly, and exchange songs to listen to by the Arcade Fire on our iPods. When he left, Molly kept on texting me, bugging me to call Rachel. I figured I didn't have anything better to do, so I called Rachel and we chatted for about an hour. When I came back inside from doing this on the back porch, I was in a much better mood than earlier and tried talking to Will, who did his best to make me feel like I was worthless and not even wanted there. I was so sick of his attitude that I went upstairs and sat in the bathroom for a half an hour, sulking at the wall, until the time came that he had to drive me home. I am not a confrontation girl in person, so the drive home was silent.

Two points of view of a Saturday night shared by feuding couple, Will and Kristen.