What Am I Doing Wrong? | Teen Ink

What Am I Doing Wrong?

By Batman_01_cool BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
Batman_01_cool BRONZE, Arlington, Texas

"I write to give my self strength. I write to be the characters that I am not. I write to explore all the things I'm afraid of." -Joss Whedon

Blood quickly started gushing out of his nose, running down, leaving a trail of dye across his face. He couldn’t believe what has just happened. His only friend Matthew, who attended the new educational institution Andrew was attending, was physically abusing him. With every punch hitting an important organ, Andrew was certain that this intolerable pain was going to end him. He could not comprehend why Matthew was doing this; however, Matthew has a reason for his conduct, and it relates back towards Andrew’s individuality.
It was always a personal struggle for Andrew to come to terms with his identity, and it wasn’t until the ending of his intermediate school that he accepted his individuality; he is gay. Contrary to his belief of removing a mental burden, challenges aroused to create deep scars that couldn’t be healed by a bandage. Instructors did not notice the different pouches of color, with a range from the recent dark purple to diminishing gray, that shouldn’t be on his skin, varying sizes of fist to lines stretched across his body as if somebody has clawed him up. He couldn’t take it anymore and pleads to start anew, but he didn’t know how to tell his parents who continue to ignore the physical harassment he endures constantly. As if answering his pleading call, Andrew’s parents called him to the living area where they abruptly spoke, “We are moving!”
Three months have passed since leaving the place that he called home. Now filled with anxiety and assurance, he walks the halls of his new school while keeping a promise to himself to remain hidden in the closet.
Sadly, thinking he has entered one of the best school he has ever known with a no-bullying act, Andrew should have read the code of conduct because they follow religious principles that go against anyone who is a homosexual. Furthermore, there is an individual that held those principles in his heart. His name is Matthew and he had only befriended Andrew to see if his suspicion over him being gay was right.
Not knowing this information, Andrew kept feeling more comfortable expressing his individuality while Matthew was trying to obtain solid evidence of Andrew being gay. Consequently, there came the day when Andrew told Matthew a phrase that will impact his life, and just as the phrase escaped his mouth, his world turned upside-down.
Matthew’s ice-cold hands gripped around his neck, with an insane look as his grip got tighter and tighter. He fought back instinctively, but his lungs started to burn due to the lack of oxygen. His vision blurred and all he could remember was Matthew stating, “You should have stayed wherever you came from. No homosexual should even be allowed to be alive. If you think you are special, then I don’t know where you come from because your kind will never have any importance.” After regaining consciousness, he contemplated if he should end his life and not be forced to deal with the consequences of living.
It wasn’t an easy process to recover from, Andrew had fallen into a state of depression where his only thoughts were, how do I continue to live on with a life that is meaningless because of who I would fall in love with. All the blame kept on being pointed at him, he didn’t know how he could continue. His parents noticed his behavior and decided that they will contact a professional to handle his case. The professional had stated for him to declare a mantra. Andrew came up with, “I can change the world and do not have to accept society’s definition of myself—someone who is masculine, virtually emotionless, attractive, and showcasing power—since I’m able to flourish to his own beautiful flower.” Eventually by repeating these words, he started believing what he was saying and owning his pride that once was taken away from him.