Non-Lucid Dream | Teen Ink

Non-Lucid Dream

October 6, 2016
By AnabiQuintero BRONZE, Monterrey, Other
AnabiQuintero BRONZE, Monterrey, Other
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

I had a dream last night. I was in a backseat of a car and I had woken up from a long sleep. My friend, Logan, was driving. I immediately knew we were far from our houses since I did not recognize that scenery. In fact, there were barely any houses at all; we were in a highway. I was silent for a couple of moments before Logan realized I had woken up. She smiled at me from the rear-view mirror and said, “I’m glad you're up. I was getting bored with no one to talk to.” She flashed another smile at me before turning her eyes on the road. Her smile had given me cold chills, even though it seemed it was the same smile as always.
“Wh-where are we?” I asked. My mouth was dry and I was tired even though I had just woken up from a nap. Was it a nap? I could not recall the moment I had fallen asleep.
She paused and said, “Don’t you remember? We’re on a road trip.” I was really confused. I had actually not remembered why and where we were going on a road trip. So I simply stared at her. My brain was fuzzy and I was still disoriented from my long nap. I blinked a couple of times.
“Where are we going?” I asked. She glanced back at me and asked, “Are you okay?” I nodded and asked again, “Where are we going?”
“You’ll see.” she responded. The air in the car had suddenly turned uncomfortable and I felt insecure, as if I were naked. I wrapped my arms around my cold self and stared out the window.
“What is happening?” I heard myself whisper. After a couple of minutes I spoke again, “Don’t you want me to drive? You must be very tired. Maybe we should-”
“No.” she interrupted and I shut my mouth. My unease must have shown in the silence because she said, “Hey, I’m okay. We’ll get there in a little while.” I nodded again and reached for my phone. I did not want to interact with her while I was still confounded. Maybe I could text someone and they could explain what was happening to me or I could listen to music to calm myself down. But I could not find my phone, much less my headphones to listen to music. I looked for them around me until I came to a realization that there were no items in the backseat of the car. I scooted in my seat to look in the copilot seat.
“Hey!” she barked. I flinched and retreated back to my seat with a quaver. “What are you doing? You’re not helping me concentrate.”
“I-I was just looking for my phone…” I said.
“Well, stop looking for it!” My lip trembled and silent tears were now flowing down my eyes.
“I’m sorry.” I said in a low voice. My cheeks were getting wet from my tears and snot was starting come out from my nose. I looked at Logan and she was pissed. She kept mumbling words under her breath and her hands in the steering wheel were turning white from her hard grip.
“Forget it,” she grumbled. The silent tears had become a loud waterfall that were leaving me gasping for air. I wanted to hide the fact that I was crying from her but she rolled her eyes and screamed, “UGH! Stop crying you stupid baby. I wiped my snot with the back of my hand. I wanted to say something else but a wave of exhaustion and fatigue came over me. And with a last gasp of air, I fell back asleep within seconds.
And that was how my dream ended. When I woke up, I did with a start. Panting and sweating, I checked the time. “4:33am,” it read. The moonlight from outside was coming in through my window. I could hear faint music from a distance. I rubbed my eyes and took several deep breaths until I was calmed down. I stepped out of bed and I immediately felt really dizzy. I placed my hand in the wall next to my bed to steady myself but as soon as I did, my knees were buckling and I sat down on the floor. I felt nauseous. I scrambled to the bathroom and once I got there, I let it all out. I let all the fear, the confusion, the worry, and my anxiety get out of my system. When I was done, I splashed my red face with cold water. And with a deep breath, I went to my bed and laid there staring at the dark until my sleep came back.
In the morning, I could not remember what had happened last night. I recalled an unsettling feeling in my chest and fear along with anxiety. I had a faint memory of a dream. All I could remember was my friend, Logan. But as much as I’d tried, I could not remember what we were doing or what was happening in my dream. My stomach grumbled and I gave up trying to remember last night’s dream but I still felt uneasy as I went down the stairs.
I was eating cereal with a banana when the someone knocked on the door. I stood up leaving my breakfast behind and headed for the door. When I opened the door, Logan was at my doorstep. “Hi,” she said.
“Um, hi,” I replied. “I’m sorry, what are you doing here?”
“Ugh, don’t you remember? We’re going on a road trip!” Road trip. That rang a bell.
“Uh, no. When did we agree on a road trip…?”
“Come on!” she said in a loud voice. “Let’s go”
“I’m not feeling very well. Or let me finish my breakfast at least.”
“Fine,” she huffed. We headed back to the kitchen and I sat down in front of my breakfast. She remained standing.
“I had a dream last night. You were in it.” I said in between mouthfuls of cereal. This seemed to catch her attention. “Wha-What were we doing?” she said in a low tone.
“I actually don’t remember.” She looked at me from the corner of her eye and pursed her lips.
“Oh well, finish eating your breakfast I want to get out of here early.”
“I’m really not feeling that well.” I groaned.
“Here drink this. It’ll help you feel better” She handed me a small, white pill.
“I’m not so sure about this. Does this really help?” I asked with uncertainty.
“Yes, come on! Let’s go!” she urged me. I looked at the pill in the palm of my hand. Should I trust Logan? I still felt a bit uneasy in the pit of my stomach. I looked up at her and she had a glass of water in her hand, which she set on the table. She lifted her eyebrows, testing me. I took the glass of water and gulped it down along with the pill.
After I had quickly finished my cereal, I went up to my room to change and went back down when I was finished. But as I was walking down the stairs of my front porch, I started getting dizzy and I collapsed.
When I woke up, was in the backseat of a car. My friend Logan was driving. And she had drugged me.