To Late to Swim | Teen Ink

To Late to Swim

By DreamsandChanges SILVER, Gilford, New Hampshire
DreamsandChanges SILVER, Gilford, New Hampshire

"In the end we are all just chalk lines on the pavement anyway"
-5 fingure death punch

A sounding knock echos through the house, pounding along side with my head. “Lillian” My daughter looks up from where she is reading as I croke her name. “Go see who is at the door.” My voice echoing through my head is pitiful, even to me. “Mama, Miss Bell is here to see you.” My daughter bounces into the room with Miss Bell following. The difference between them is so profound that I almost had to laugh.  Lillian is so bouncy and excited that it is almost exhausting to watch. But even as her mother I can see that there is something fascinating about her, like it would hurt to look away. But Miss Bell behind her is the person who draws my attention.  A tall, cool beauty, once  I was able to call her my best friend. But now, now I can see what drove us away. Though a classic beauty myself, her exotic beauty attracted everyone. And to a girl who believes the only thing in the world matters is the attention of others, I couldn’t take the fight against her anymore. 
“Amellia, it's so great to see you again.” As i rise to great her, I realise how much taller she is then I remember. Even up close I can see that time has treated Rosetta Bell very well. It’s a wonder that she never married, though she did always say that a man would only tie her down.
“Rosie Bell, don’t you just look amazing.” Thankfully the roughness of my voice disappears, so I may speak without embarrassing myself. “Oh Lia, what a quaint little house.” Her eyes lazily look around the front parlor, and I can feel my spine stiffening up. My home may not be as large as some, but ten bedrooms does not mean that it is small. “Well Rosie not all of us can have fifteen  bedroom estates, can we? Oh, I was wondering Rosie, did you ever marry? When we were children i do remember you being against it.”
“No i never did marry, Father left me the estate when he passed away.. Why should I marry? All a man would do is try to tell me how I should spend my money. Anyway speaking of my estate, There is a reason that I have called on you today. I am having a small little party on my boat for just me and a few of my close friends.”
“How many people is a few people?” I ask curiously, Rosetta always seemed to have a hundred people around her. I can’t imagine what her idea of small is.
“ Oh just twenty to fifty people. I do love small parties, I can talk to everyone easier when there are not so many of them there.”
“Personally I like large parties. They’re so intimate. At small parties there isn’t any privacy (The Great Gatsby).”
“Lia you always say the oddest things, how could a large party be intimate? That just doesn't make any sense.” She giggles out “Oh never mind the size of the party, you will be there wouldn't you, Lia? It has been so long since we have spent any time together.” Her brown eyes turn doe like, as she begs. I can see why no one has been able to deny this girl anything in her life. “Yes Rosie I will be there. When is it?”
“ Lia I knew you would come for me. The party is tomorrow. Well i must run, I shall see you there.” One day, she gave me only one day’s time to get ready? Who does that? “Lillian, go int0o my closet and grab one of my dresses, the dark blue one I think.”
“Yes mama.” As she runs out I realise there is no question about looking my best. To me this party sounds like a test. One that I fully intend to pass.
“Here you are Mama, this dress is so pretty. Can I come to the party with you?” 
“No Lillian, this party is just for me and some of my old friends. Maybe when you’re a little older.”
“Mama I am 15 years old, I am old enough to go to a party.” Her voice raises in pitch, grating against my ears. I am definitely irritated now. As she bounces around, her clear blue eyes begging me to let her go, my own eyes dart around looking for a reason to dismiss her when my eyes land on the clock. “Lillian its late, go to bed.”
“Lia, you should have another drink... how are you enjoying the party?”  Even tipsy Rosetta looks gorgeous. As she walks towards me her whole body sways; admittedly that might just be me, the drink she is offering me would not be my first tonight. It is obvious to see though that she takes her own advice about having a drink, she is sipping one even now.
Everything on this boat is so over the top, from the boat to the dresses. If you listen closely, you can hear the swirl of the dresses just under the music. Everything is so much, if i hadn't had so much, this would be so tacky, all the lights and colors.
The swaying of the boat pushes and pulls me away from my destination. The sharp coolness of the railings announced to me that I have made it. The drastic difference between the darkness of the ocean and the harsh light of the party through me off balance. Giant waves rock against the boat. I take a step back in hopes to avoid the cold water, just not quite fast enough. Back at the railing I watch the water swirl and dance. Blue, black, and purple dance and twist. Following the colors my balance is thrown. My breath is stolen as something cold crushes against my stomach. Last minute as I fly over, I realise that it was the railing; reaching forward. My arms are swimming through the air. Suddenly it all stops, and I am flying. Moving toward something unknown.
I'm caught, a blanket wraps around me. But something is wrong, it is so cold. With shock my eyes rip open, filling them with salt water as I push my way upward, hopefully toward the surface.
I break the surface of the water, deep breaths burn as the air races down to my lungs. Watching the lights from the boat my eyes slowly close. All I kept thinking about over and over, as my eyes closed was ‘You can’t live forever; you can’t live forever (The Great Gatsby).’