The Return Was the End | Teen Ink

The Return Was the End

February 23, 2009
By leah ferlita BRONZE, Carrollton, Texas
leah ferlita BRONZE, Carrollton, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Beep'.Beep'.Beep'
I couldn't help her. All I could do is sit there and watch doctors scramble to safe her. So many thoughts ran through my head. I wasn't sure what to think or how to react. Could this all just be a bad dream? It must be? Right? My six year old sister has returning cancer.
She had it three years ago and the doctors said it was gone forever. They said that we would never have to worry about her having cancer again. They said that she would life a regular life. But now my parents just stand there, holding each other, wondering what will happen next.

'Why would God do this to such a kind hearted little girl?' my grandma cried.
My sister just started kindergarten and was so excited. She just bought all new crayons and notebooks. Not to mention her new book bag. Now she had to spend the next six to twelve months lying helplessly in the hospital cot, with IV running though her body.

Soon as the doctors gave her all different types of medicines, we were allowed to go visit her in her room.

'Hey Katelyn. How you feeling?' I asked in the nicest voice I could, even though I know the answer.

'Okay, I guess. I want to go home.' The tears started to fall down her fragile face.

'It's all going to be okay. We're all going to be here for you when you get out. I'm not going to let anything happen to you. There may even be an ice cream when you get back.'

Then she smiled and fall into a deep sleep. The doctors rolled her into the operating room.

I sat for hours in the waiting room. Every now and then my friends would come by and said hi to me and my family, and tell us that Katelyn was in there prayers. They tried so hard to cheer me up, but soon they gave up and went home. It got later and later and the waiting room got emptier by the minute. One of the nurses came up to me and offered a pillow and blanket. My parents suggested that I got some sleep. So I took the pillow and blanket and went to lie down on the soft blue couch.
'How was I going to get some sleep in a time like this?' I thought, but soon enough I fell into a deep sleep.

I awoke to a bright light shining in the distanced. The doctor walked up to my parents and whispered something to them. My mother fell to her knees and broke out in tears. I couldn't help but think something bad happened to my baby sister. I walked over to my parents and asked them what was wrong.

'Your sister didn't make it though the operation.' My father said in a tearful voice.

My heart stopped beating for a quick second. I thought he was lying to me. He had to of been. She was just going in for a small check up, nothing huge.

'What the''NO!' I yelled
I fell to the floor and cried so hard my body began to shake. My dad walked over and held me in his arms so tightly that I lost feeling.

In the morning my parents made the funeral arrangements and called the family to break the news. I thought about the first time she had cancer and how we were all scared. But she made it and came home 3 weeks later. Now she won't come home. Never see her again. I told her that everything would be okay. That she didn't have anything to worry about. I felt like such a liar.

As we arrived at the funeral home my family and friends were all there. I tried to be the strong one, but as soon as someone would hug me I started to cry. She didn't live a long life. I thought about all the things we were going to do when she got older. Like play tea party or help her put on make up. Take her on her first date. Be there when her heart was broken by some jerky guy. All of those thoughts came to an end.

I now sit in her empty room. I hoped that she would walk though those doors, but deep down I knew she wasn't. I wouldn't to think of a way to keep her alive even though she isn't here with us. Then it hit me. I would write a book about her life, even though it wasn't a long life. Then I would publish it for the world to see how special of a sister, daughter and friend she was to everyone.

I ran down stairs and told my mom and dad about the idea. They were packing up the last of Katelyn's things to put in the basement. They thought it was a great idea and they would love to contribute. We sat around the table and got out pictures of Katelyn when she was first born. All of a sudden it got really qu