The Last Nature | Teen Ink

The Last Nature

April 17, 2016
By MegDoe SILVER, Clifton Park, New York
MegDoe SILVER, Clifton Park, New York
9 articles 5 photos 0 comments

The color of horror surrounding brightness, enclosing it, suffocating it with a thick black
blanket of smoke so it can not be captured with anything: including the eagle eye. When she slept, she could hear the silent screams of the disabled. They can not see what happens in the mind of the mother, who is moribund and weeping invisible tears. Now drained, depleted and stale, her sobs no longer perceptible, choke her, the blanket of lightlessness strangling her. She tries to embrace a lustrous glow, anything, a gasp of fulgor at least. But slowly, painfully, she lets go. Everything she holds on to, gone in the last drop of water, running down her face, dripping off her chin, and falling to the cement.
The dark, gray man comes near, and stands over her body- his rough, dull corpse soaking the power she had. She is gone, and he rules. Stomps on the puddle of tears, he does, vaporizing the will of the mother. He is the ruler now, and there is no changing this. The mother’s body is burned, by the creatures who mindlessly follow the man’s leadership. The only light, lies with The fires which roam the Earth. Though, the people do not realize, the mother is dead. They eat what they can process, some, never eaten an apple. They look, but can not see, hear but can not listen, they omit the terror, and cease to recognize pain, as well as happiness. They no longer feel, under the man’s orders. The cement grows colder by the day, the sky grows darker every night. The animals lie lifeless on the ground next to the paved roads. Even the Earth walkers are dying, yet they can not see past the veil of war and monotony.
The daughter, the only being who sees, who speaks, yet is not heard. She sees the dust, the yellow atmosphere, where once laid smooth fields of blue, and wispy white puffs. She sees evil in the man, who himself does not care. He does not see the issue in rot on the streets, filth in the rooms of the dying. He fails to notice the value of life, she thinks to herself as she walks down the cement village, not bothering to watch her step. She roams through the almost silent village, with only the sound of quiet racket, caused by the pungent odor of defilement.
She has nothing left, she thinks, but the man sees her as a threat. To the faultless universe he has created within this planet. He smells the odor of light, and sees the wafts she gives to the world. He urges to dispose of the imperfection, but does not show his weakness to his servants- to the Earthwalkers.
She feels appalling agony when she sees the bodies. Stacked upon each other, Earthwalkers, alongside rotting animals. She no longer senses the mother watching over herself. Her tongue, aching for freshness, can no longer water, for her body is too deprived. “Mother!” She yells to the yellow, smokey sky, not receiving a response. She waits for her. Every meal, every sidereal day.
She sleeps off the pain next to a fire, however, is unable to stop the stream of horrible dreams. In her mind, she walks through a forest. One, seeming familiar, yet distant. The daughter, she suddenly smells smoke, and runs through the coppice. Unable to control her figure, she collapses onto her knees, and they scrape on the ground, of which is suddenly turning to cement. The smokey smell grows stronger, and stronger, and behind her, a burning glow. She crawls fast, her knees too weak to run, until the hot glow catches her.
She woke, dangerously close to the pit of flames. The ends of her hair, synged and black. When she is ready to leave, she leaves the flames untouched, for she sees no point for putting it out. There is nothing left here barring the smell of excrement and decay-The smell the man left behind. The man who killed mother, the man who turned our world into a rubbish bin, the man who has never seen such a perfect world as mother’s. Who doesn’t understand how green and blue are the most vital colors in the universe. Who sees blue as black, green as gray. Black is blue and gray is green now. As long as Earthwalkers have life, that will remain the same. It will never be different. The man is the last god of the Earth walkers. He does what he desires, for there is no human, animal, lifeform, or god left to break him.
She believes he was sent to shatter our tiny home, by breaking the windows, snapping the floorboards, and bending the pipes, until finally, he sends the giant vehicle with a heavy metal ball, which bashes in the roof, the only thing protecting us from the darkness beyond the sky. She thought to herself about the sky. Once blue, had rained a pure substance, which gave one immediate serenity. Now rains a yellow-gray thick liquid, which dents skin when it lands upon the dry, cracked coating of the dismal, weak soul.
She continues on her way to nowhere. Seeking what she knows will not find- light. The man knows where it is. Dead, with mother. Or, perhaps not. Endurance is within her. She has the light, yet she herself can not see it. Where is it within her? Fading away, where her herself can not find it. Lost in a pit of loneliness, hopelessness and loss.
The man, glaring down upon her, regretting being afraid of this destitute, beggared mortal. He watches as she lies on the cement, with only a deflated stuffed toy as a cushion for the shell of which contains her breaking sanity. He observes every twist and shift she compiles, until she wakes, coming with a scream and bloodshot eyes. This spawns a simper upon his livid face. An evil joy; a murderous type of amusement.
She suspires the sweet taste of the orange fruit, or the powdery texture of the sweet substance that once lay upon a flower, or the warm pleasure of the bright glowing star in the sky. That once touched her skin, when she had a different body. A smooth, tan soft-skinned body. Of which transformed into a wrinkled, sickly, dull outer coating. Which now, does not differ from the inside. The hollow, rotting inside.
Instead, she bites into the fecal, corroded, rancid animal which laid beside her. Instead, she soaks in the putrid smell of excrement, rot, and whatever is left of the frigid air, rather than the warm feeling of the sun, and the sweet fruits which the mother had given to the selfish people of the Earth. Which Gaea had given to the selfish humans of her planet.
The man does not sleep, or eat. He can not smell the air he destroyed, and he is incapable of experiencing such starvation as he created. Though, he knows he has hurt people, his assistance is nil. He watches as the world mother had built burn-and he smiles. He caused this, she thinks to herself. Her knuckles turn white, and her face becomes the color of blood, as she fills with hatred for all that has happened. Suddenly, she falls to her knees and screams to the sky. She screams so loudly so her voice and pain shakes the Earth. The man feels her cry shaking the ground. It agonized the hearing of the man, so terribly, that a black tear fell from his face, then another, then another. Until her howl stopped. The man laid on the cement floor he had created. He opened his eyes, saw the small puddle of black liquid, and angrily wiped his foot in it.
He could be beaten, the scream made him fall, though she did not know. The man, provoked, used his strength to push her into the ground. Mixing her atoms into the cement, of which she laid upon, giving it a pale green color. He sent out a thundering boom of exasperation for it took all of his power to push her one foot into the adhesive. He stopped, and opened his eyes wide. She is the one, fated to kill me.
The concrete turns to dirt as her eyes glow bright green. The mother has returned, in the second generation, seeking the one who has murdered her pure entity. “Vasileios!” She yells at the yellow clouded sky, rage flowing through her veins. The man appears in front of the possessed girl, wearing black rather than his usual gray. “Gaea” He says, with an unfamiliar emulsified tone to his voice. The haunted daughter pulls her foot out of the ground, and lumbers to the man, suddenly, the mother raises the daughter’s left arm, and points the first finger at the man’s shadow.
Abruptly, her body shifts, and the mother’s shape emerges from the girl’s chassis. The soul pulls into the eyes of the man, and he struggles to push her out. His hand scratches at his eyes uncontrollably, as the skin around his mouth breaks into flakes, and disappears. The flakiness spreads to his neck, as he continues to rip at his eyes. The screeches, did not seem to form upon the remainder of his face, or in his throat. He collapsed to his knees once again, choking on his wails.His skin had gone, and the only remnant was the bones, which had turned black, with the evilness he had absorbed, and the shadow he had left behind.
After minutes had the mother rose from the bones, and pulled the shadow into the sky, which was dissolving into the blue blanket it once was. The ground was still cement and the people who had lived there were still dead, but because the mother was resurrected, there is a chance, somewhere in another universe, there will be another Earth.


The author's comments:

Gaea created this world, giving man the resources needed to live in peace. However, man took this for granted, never thinking of the consequences. This summons The Man of incorrect values, who can not see the beauty of the world Gaea has created. Overthrown, Gaea is helpless, and cannot defend her creation. The man kills anything in the way of his glory. However, one girl, The Daughter, thought of as useless was missed by the man, leading to the biggest of regrets.

Humans seem to miss an important skill. The ability to see the very future consequences. Not all, but many. Our Earth needs to be protected from the war, the hate, and the smoke. My mission is to help the blind see, and to open everyone's eyes. I also have a blog, which goes deeper into these issues: https://normalisboring497.wordpress.com/