Truth or Dare | Teen Ink

Truth or Dare

March 29, 2016
By E_C_C_E_N_TRIC SILVER, Woods Cross, Utah
E_C_C_E_N_TRIC SILVER, Woods Cross, Utah
9 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me."


It started as a simple game of truth or dare. I was never meant to be killed. 
All we wanted was to experience a dash of adventure and possibly a pinch of rebellion in the remaining days of our gloomy summer vacation. We wanted to do something fun and unique, something that had never been done before. However, getting my life stolen away by Death's cold clutch was not part of the plan. 
Yet the sizzling surge of acceleration and adrenaline I felt as I decided that I was determined to win was strangely addicting. The magnificent feeling of accomplishment that poured through my now lifeless veins after my victory was sealed was wondrous. 
I craved and yearned for more, but I guess you have to be alive to feel such emotion, because I am beyond dead, and no such feelings swarm my non-pumping heart. 
I had felt so free in those last remaining seconds of life. As my body seemed to slowly drift to the surface from my towering perch, and the wind whipped through my hair at an exciting pace. The cemented earth below rushed up to greet me, and the rich, clear blue sky above crowded my sight.
That feeling was memorial and irreplaceable - especially now. 
All I had to do was climb to the top. Scale the building.
I succeeded, in a way. 
"Alright, Callum!" My best friend, Jamie, had shouted up to me, "You've already won, you can come down now." Even from the tallest ledge of the building, I could still hear his voice hollering over the wind. 
I smirked down at him. "Oh, c'mon Jamie! I wish to soak in the bask of my own glory just a moment longer. Don't you think I deserve that much?" I chuckled, dangling my legs over the side of the roof where I sat. 
A strong breeze blew through my dark hair, and I could feel the slightest raindrop splash on my freckled cheek. 
Glancing down at my friend, I saw his shoulders slump as he sighed.
Taking in a deep, calming breath of the stormy summer air, I smiled up at the sky, my thoughts wandering and taking flight, imagining up the silliest and most amazing and magical scenarios. 
All of my dreams where I had sprouted wings and raced across the sky suddenly came to life. I could soar through the atmosphere, allowing the rain to pepper my face and relax in the destructive yet magnificent clouds above. 
I had daydreamed often . . . and then my life was nothing but a dream. 
It was amazing how fast my moment of freedom turned to fear as the final gust of wind shoved me down towards Death's custody. The wicked pavement below had put an end to the furious pumping of my panicked heart. 
And once I opened my eyes to this new monochrome world . . . I knew life was evanesce.