The Light Of Day | Teen Ink

The Light Of Day

By jmorris01 BRONZE, Orient, Ohio
jmorris01 BRONZE, Orient, Ohio

It was a normal day, in an average year here deep in the hills of the countryside. Thomas Franklin Page sat on his front porch doing his homework, he was a straight a student and a hard worker. His mother and father worked to run their business and keep themselves afloat. He lived a simple life going to school, getting an education and coming home for leisure time. He never would have thought life could change so fast for him in the next few years. He graduated high school with honors and went on to get a further education at college. These years he thought would crawl to a halt sped by like seconds on the clock. He then went on to graduate with a master’s degree in science and study, he made some new discoveries and taught other people about the world. He loved nature and loved to draw, especially when he would go to a quiet spot where nothing would bother him. He had a problem though deep down inside he wasn’t happy, he missed the people that had shaped not only him but his future. He went back to his small town to visit his parents one day and what he found was something very tragic. His mother and father were chronically ill. He tried everything he knew he got the best help he could for them, but nothing seemed to work. His parents were soon awaiting their deathbeds, and nothing could be done to stop it from happening. That night his father passed away leaving him with only hope that his mother would pull through. She wasn’t feeling good at all, she didn’t talk for days on end. On the following Monday Thomas went in to see her before leaving for work. He asked if she wanted anything, she answered “some tea would be wonderful” in a faint voice. Thomas went to the kitchen to fetch her some tea, but the thought of her laying in that bed all alone and helpless, that wasn’t the mother he grew up knowing. He knew the women who would stop at nothing to help those in need, she gave everything she had to the community knowing nothing could be given back in exchange. He couldn’t help it and broke down in tears. He brought the tea to her room and started to hand it to her when one of his tears landed smack dab right into her cup. He went to throw it out and get a new cup but his mother insisted on having that specific cup of tea. After work Thomas came home and talked to his mother for a little while before drifting to sleep. During the night however he dreamt that tomorrow afternoon his mother would be standing at the window looking out upon the orchard like she used to do every evening after the work for the day was done. Her face no longer had the wrinkles of age, nor the aching pain that lingered in her eyes. She was able to do as she pleased. The next morning Thomas once again checked on her, asking if she needed anything. This time something was different, her eyes no longer held the look of pain incasing the terrible illness. No, she looked well, and her voice flowed with even breaths for the first time in so long. She began to sit up and had a lengthy conversation with Thomas before he left for work. Little did he know there would be a surprise waiting for him when he would arrive home that afternoon. He went to work as usual and bringing home groceries from the store like he did every Tuesday. He pulled down the bumpy gravel driveway past the many fruit trees that were planted in neat little rows. The same trees he once played under with his mother and father when his was just a little boy. He pulled in front of the house and unloaded the groceries. Once he was in he called to his mother telling her he was home. He heard nothing back and dashed down the hallway to see that everything was alright, he could not stand to lose her too. When he approached the doorway he looked in afraid. The sheets were pulled up on the bed, like it had been made. He slowly moved his eyes upward to see his mother standing smiling her broad smile. The pain was gone her body once again young, he dashed over to her and gave her a hug. The next thing she said nearly brought him to tears. “I guess a little drop does make a difference.”

This piece reminds me of what hope there is in the world you just have to go find it.