The Accident | Teen Ink

The Accident

By Bobcats0714 BRONZE, San Marcos, Texas
Bobcats0714 BRONZE, San Marcos, Texas

Five years ago, I was a seventeen year old girl. Five years ago, I had the greatest best friend and a relationship with the football star. Five years ago, I was living out all my dreams and a scholarship from Stanford was waiting for me. Five years ago, I was writing my valedictory speech, one that I’d never get to give.

I used to be pretty, popular, and not so tall. I wore glasses that were framed perfectly by my eyebrows and dressing down was never an option for me. My friends thought I was a fashionista, and my family called me a princess. Crazy how all of that can change in one night. I really miss everybody. Sometimes I check in on them and watch how they moved on without me. Except on this day, they remember how I left them five years ago. It’s funny how, when you die, people actually realize how much you mean to them.
    Valorie Stewart, 22, is mother to a beautiful baby girl named Marie. Valorie and I had been best friends since kindergarten, but neither of us had forgotten about it. I watch over her baby girl and make sure she sees all the good in life. How could I not? What kind of best friend would I be if I just ignore my best friend’s prayers?
    Jason Hudson, recently turned 23, is alone. I worry about him a lot. We were together for my last moment. I know that hasn’t left his mind since, especially on a day like this.
    Me, Haley James, dead. I lived a great seventeen years, but I definitely was not ready to go. Who would be when you’re about to go to your dream college and have a relationship about as strong as the Hulk?
I remember that day more than any other. It’s actually hard to forget about it. Sometimes I imagine it was all just a terrible nightmare, but then I look around and watch my loved ones live out their lives, or ruin them.
7:45 A.M., the school bell rang and I took off like a rocket to the counselor's office. Today was the day all my hard work would pay off. The day all the nights I stayed up studying didn’t seem so tiring. The day my dream came true. My heart raced rapidly, for the first time I actually felt my heart beating faster than I can solve an equation.I searched the bright pink paper to see if all my hard work was worth it. There it was, bolded under the word “Valedictorian” was my name, “Haley James.” I wiped the lense of my glasses and scanned the paper once again. At that very moment, my life made more sense than ever.
    Usually, the first person I would call would be one of my parents, but I don’t think they get phone calls in Heaven. So, of course, I called my best friend, Valorie.  Let’s just say that by the end of first period, everyone knew I was Valedictorian. Everyone congratulated me, even people I didn't know. I truly felt like a princess.
My fairytale story was going great until the tiara got knocked off my pretty little curls. Skipping down the hall to my next class, I stopped, faster than the speed of light. I spotted my best friend and MY BOYFRIEND walking each other to class. I marched to my class and tried to let it go. She’s my best friend, I know I can trust her, she’s never even had a thing for Jason. (Or had she, but was just too scared to tell me.) Why would he be with her?
    After about a million “I’m sorry’s” from my best friend, I finally forgave her. I could never stay mad at someone who took me in after I was practically orphaned. Yeah -  that’s right - ever since that tragic plane wreck, I have been under my best friend’s roof. I’m not going to lie. Even though I forgave her, it was really awkward that night. The thought of her and Jason together never left my mind.
Two days before graduation, everyone was acting very suspicious around me.  I wasn’t dressed differently and I did my hair the same as always; matching headband with my perfect curls spilling from it. I checked to see if anything was on my face or in my teeth, nothing. This strange day ended with a gallery walk through the mall with my best friend. She was convinced that a new outfit for “Graduation Eve” was necessary. I am definitely the person to disagree, but this is not like Valorie. I wonder why she is buttering me up.
The day before graduation - a whole 24 hours, and high school would be just another part of my past. I was obviously not the only one feeling this way either. On this day you can obviously tell apart the anxious seniors form the longing juniors. Everyone was being so nice to me, I know me getting a new outfit never caused much of a commotion. Why is everyone acting so different?
Valorie was acting even more weird than she usually does. Instead of taking our separate vehicles to school, she insisted on waking up early to have breakfast together. I didn’t question it, because I was hungry. However, going out for a fancy dinner after school was certainly a surprise. Whatever she did must have really hurt me, she sure is getting me ready for something good.
I didn’t know where she was taking me, and I was too full to ask. I just sat there in the passenger seat as she pulled up to the old abandoned cabin we used play in when we were little. It was usually empty, but tonite it looked quite crowded for an abandoned cabin.
“Idiots,” I heard her mumble under her breath as we passed the parking lot full of cars. The old branches crunched under my sandals as I walked to the creaky door. Valorie didn’t tell me exactly why we were here, she got out of the car so fast I didn’t have time to ask. By the time i unbuckled my seatbelt, she had already done a lap around the cabin as if she was going for a world record.
Slowly opening the door, she smiled at me. It was dark, which is what I was expecting for an abandoned cabin, but the lights flickered on and I heard a big crowd yell “SURPRISE!”
I wasn’t quite sure what was going on until I scanned the room and noticed balloons and cupcakes with little graduation caps on top. Before I had a chance to ask what the party was for, Jason and Valorie were coming up to me with a banner that said “Congratulations Haley!” and the biggest smiles on their faces. I gave both of them a huge hug and thanked them for the surprise party.
8:21 P.M. the most amazing party suddenly took a toll to terror. “Somebody spiked the punch,” I heard from one corner of the cabin and “CHUG! CHUG! CHUG!”  from the other. I headed out to the back porch where I got hit with a ping pong ball and red solo cups covered the top of the old red picnic table that I used to do my homework on. Who would’ve thought the most perfect night could go from “pin the graduation cap on Haley” to a game of “who spiked the punch?” I wish I would’ve noticed sooner, but I guess time flies when you’re having fun. I don’t know how there is alcohol in a party full of undergraduate minors , but I was determined to find out. I searched the cabin board by board for Valorie, I couldn’t find her. I thought I’d splash some water on my face and start to look for Jason. When I arrived in the restroom I opened the door to what looked like a fog machine party. When my vision finally focused through the cloud of smoke, I shaped out Valorie and four other people, who I’ve never seen before. I swatted the smoke until I could finally see their faces.
Blunts, beer, boys, and beards. Dark, oversized jackets were their fashion and apparently drugs were trending. I don't know who they were or how they got there, but that was the least of my worries once I noticed my best friend sitting on top of the closed toilet seat knocked out. Cold.
      “ What did y’all do to her?” I yelled while choking on the thickening smoke. “Chill out babe, we just put a little extra flavor in her drink, she’ll be fine by tomorrow.” He got close to me and wrapped his heavy arm around my shoulder, I could smell the beer in his breath, and hear it by the way he was slurring his words together. I dragged Valorie off the toilet seat, buttoned up her flannel shirt, and quickly took her to the car. Dragging her down a creepy path in the woods is way different from giving her piggyback rides through the hallways.  I struggled because one, I'm 30 pounds lighter than her and two about 4 inches shorter . I buckled her in the back seat of the red Mustang and sprinted back to the cabin to get Jason. I probably ran around the cabin 2 or 3 times before someone was nice enough to tell me where I might find him. I recognized him by the light brown hair that met right where the collar of his letterman ended.
“Jason, hurry you have to drive Valorie and Me to the emergency room. Some dudes spiked the punch, then drugged her up. I already have her in the back seat of the car, we have to go now!” It took him a while to understand all that I had said, but I don’t blame him, it was a lot to take in all at once. I jingled the keys in front of his face trying to get him to understand there was no time to waste. He grasped the keys and followed me to Valorie’s car. I hopped in the backseat with Valorie and watched Jason’s long legs scramble into the driver’s seat.
We were seven minutes away from the hospital and Valorie could only stay awake for about two at a time. I haven’t taken my eyes off of her, I was too scared to. I felt the car speed up and slow down then speed up again. I swiveled around in the passenger's seat and noticed the car was swerving left and right. I glanced at Jason and saw his head bob back and forth as if he were a five year old trying to fight sleep. His eyes crossed as he was trying to focus on the lines of the busy road. We skidded off the road and I quickly grabbed the wheel and steered us back on the road. “Jason, pullover.”  his head bobbed back up facing the road and he continued driving. He sped up as if he knew he was swerving and speeding up would help. “JASON PULLOVER!” I repeated even louder than the first. He turned his head to look at me but lost control and swerved off the road for the second time. “JASON PLE-”
Glass from the windshield went through my skin as if it was a dart board and the passenger door that I used to lean on during long road trips was now pinned against the right side of my body.  l knew I wasn’t going to make it once the paramedic pulled me out of the car. My blood covered her shirt like a blanket. My vision was a blur, but I am certain about one thing, the kind lady who tried to save my life was named Sydney. The name of my mother.

I thought something like this one choice can hange everything