A Choice | Teen Ink

A Choice

February 9, 2016
By SophiaRip BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
SophiaRip BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Samantha had two best friends growing up; their names were Jacqueline and Kelly. The three girls were inseparable. They were all going into sixth grade so they got along great. The girls did everything together for as long as any of them could remember. One summer they ran into a girl Samantha had known from summer camp who just moved into their neighborhood. All three girls were excited to have a new friend. The girl's name was Nicole. Nicole played outside with Samantha, Jacqueline, and Kelly everyday for a week. It was summer break so the girls rode bikes around the neighborhood and went to the park to play.
Eventually Kelly and Jacqueline became envious of Nicole and Samantha’s friendship. They told Samantha that she was obnoxious and that they didn’t want to play with her anymore. They decided to be mean to her until she left them alone. They called her names and ignored her when she came around. When the girls began to pick on Nicole, Samantha remembered the times at summer camp. Over the summer, Nicole stood up for Samantha when the boys made fun of her clothes. Nicole had been a good friend to her and she knew it was wrong but she didn’t stop the bullying.
One day, the girls were all at the park when Nicole arrived. Right away Kelly and Jacqueline began to call her names. Jacqueline yelled out, “Go home! No one wants you here anyway”. Nicole didn’t respond but Samantha could see the hurt in Nicole’s face. “We don’t want to play with you anymore. Go back to where you came from” said Kelly. Samantha just sat there silently. She could tell it wasn’t right to treat her friend like that but she didn’t want Kelly and Jacqueline to get mad at her. Nicole walked back up the sidewalk to her house. Samantha watched as she disappeared into the distance. Once she was gone the girls went back to the game they were playing.
  Later that day, Nicole came back to the park with her mom. Right away Kelly and Samantha ran as fast as they could into the field. They were afraid to get in trouble for how they'd been treating Nicole. Finally, once they thought the coast was clear the girls began to walk home. After that day Samantha, Jacqueline, and Kelly never saw Nicole at the park again. Even when school started in the fall, they were surprised to not see her there. Samantha always regretted not standing up for Nicole. She knew that it was wrong and she wished she would've been a better friend to Nicole. Ever since that day she vowed to herself that she would never let others be treated the way they treated Nicole.