Underwater Adventures | Teen Ink

Underwater Adventures

By Bassoonkelley GOLD, Tampa, Florida
Bassoonkelley GOLD, Tampa, Florida

There's too much air in the room; it's thick and sufficating.

You know, they say that if a guy calls you mainly by a petname, it could mean he's seeing more than one woman; keeping track of every name can be tricky.
I clasp my hand to my sternum.
"Get. Out." I manage to squeeze the words past the mass of hatred that likes to accumulate in my throat.

Your baby browns search my eyes for just a shred of trust, or empathy.
"Babyyy Girrrlll! You don't mean that, and you know that!"
Damn; he's got me there. Wait, hold on- I do mean it.
My courage is like a bag too full of marbles. All the big Cat's Eyes keep escaping and you've got to chase after them constantly in order to have all of them. Losing my marbles. Ha.
"Oh really? I don't MEAN it? And I'm sure your other only girlfriend didn't mean it when SHE dumped you too, huh? Yeah, that's it; she'll come crawling back to you, groveling for forgiveness. Because SHE'S to blame, right? This has nothing to do with you not being able to keep it in your pants at all, does it?"

"Don't be like that, Baby Gi-"
"Don't." I cut him off, "EVER call me those two words EVER again." I sort of growled on the 'evers' in that sentence; it was a nice touch.

"Janae...I made a terrible mistake. You are my EVerything. You - you taught me how to be real, and how to be genuine. Janae you made me who I am today, and I'm so, SO thankful for you." He spoke slowly and deliberately and milked every syllable. He would've been convincing to the naked eye, but when you're wearing bulls*** glasses, it's easier to spot the lies.
"I did an awful job then, because you're nothing but broken glass. Broken glass and mouse traps and 305's and those electric dog collars. All you do is hurt me whenever I get close, Scott." Tears started flowing just then, breaking both my voice and my bag-o-marbles.

"I need you, Baby Girl. You keep me honest! This is where I want to be - with you." A single tear rolled down his left cheek, stopping exactly mid-cheek.
End freaking Scene.
"Stop it, okay?! Just stop it! I need something good, and wholesome, and HEALTHY, Scott! Something that's good for both people in the relationship...oh whatthehell is it...mutualistic, that's it. You're my parasite, Scott. The leech to my effing human. Anyway, I thought I told you to get out?"

"I...I really didn't think you meant it. I mean, we can work things out, right?"
I watched the glassy look in his eyes turn to sand. He was irritated with me for not allowing him another chance. Angry, almost. He must feel that he deserves it for some unholy reason. I'm exhausted already. This is usually where I give up. Give out. Give in.
Mental gathering-of-marbles. Both mine, and his.
"I need a clownfish. I'm the sea anemone, Scott, and I need a God Forsaken clownfish!"
Collapsing on the couch, I just cover my eyes and sob for a moment, pulling my knees up toward my chest.
Quietly, but with as much force as I could muster, I said my last words to Scott.
I looked him square in his beady round eyes and proudly pointed at myself:
"Sea. Anemone."

With that, the bastard just turned and walked out of the door.
Out of my door, out of my life, out of my existance.
God, I have so much to deal with now- like a divorce for the "in a relationship" people. Splitting the furniture, the last of the bills, the pictures, the actual house, the pets, the car payment. All while artfully dodging any form of communication with the weasel-y bastard.
Everything is falling out from under me, but coming together at the same time.
Like I've decided to paint my own picture instead of struggling with the pieces to a puzzle.
With a deep breath, I grasp the pillow that lay next to me on the couch against my chest.
I giggle softly to myself, and stare blankly out of our - no my apartment window.
"Looks like I get off Scott-free from this one."

I write to relieve stress; as a hobby.
I just wrote this yesterday.

on Jun. 23 2011 at 12:15 pm
annaelainethewriter BRONZE, Sharpsburg, Georgia

Live on the edge,
you get a great view of life there.

You last sentence really got me!

on Dec. 29 2010 at 12:14 am
livephotography SILVER, White City, Oregon

"I take a breath, close my eyes, and realize all that I take for granted. It is never too late to change." By Candace G from Bridgeman, Ohio

I love your writing and I can't wait to read more. It's totally relatable.

LastChapter said...
on Oct. 25 2010 at 9:45 pm
LastChapter, Hempstead, New York

(couldn't think of anything better at the time) "Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step."-Dr.Martin Luther King Jr.

this was good! i liked the blunt humor and sarcastic tone mixed in the narration. nice touch;]

on Oct. 2 2010 at 3:31 pm
starxoxo23 PLATINUM, New Hampshire, New Hampshire

"The creative is the place where no one else has ever been. You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. What you'll discover will be wonderful. What you'll discover is yourself."
- Alan Alda

omg, i love your writing! the way you describe stuff is really down-to-earth and easy to relate to, but smart and sophisticated at the same time. I especially like the dialogue in this piece. AMAZING job!!!

on May. 1 2010 at 10:54 am
dragonfan SILVER, Arcidia, Indiana

"Death truly makes an artist"

Ohmigod, This is amazing! You are a really good writer I love your stories!

on Feb. 24 2010 at 9:26 pm
Bassoonkelley GOLD, Tampa, Florida
This EXACT scenario did not happen to me, but there's definitely a good chunk of truth in every one of my stories that's mixed in with the fiction. Thank you so much for all of your heartfelt comments, it means so much to me that I have fans! I'm working on "Mel's Story," I just submitted a second part to be posted soon. Hopefully it will become my first novel! Feel free to comment away on the new stuff, and thanks again for your support :)

on Feb. 24 2010 at 5:14 pm
babigerl1194 PLATINUM, Margaretville, New York

wat doesnt kill you only makes you stronger

did this really happen?

on Dec. 20 2009 at 9:47 am
DiscardedHarmony DIAMOND, Woodinville, Washington
Wow, this is gorgeous. I adore the metaphors you're using, like the bag-o-marbles. I relate with this topic waaay too much, and the way you put it is perfect. Just lovely!

TigerLynn GOLD said...
on Oct. 15 2009 at 8:32 pm
TigerLynn GOLD, Maysville, Kentucky

"She walks in beauty,
Like the night of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes."
--Byron

Beautiful. I love the scotfree ending! you are brilliant beyond articulation!

on Oct. 8 2009 at 3:04 pm
Annabelle7614, Nunyabusiness, Georgia

This is my favorite personal quote.

Very good! I feel very sympathetic for you, too.