A Cruel World | Teen Ink

A Cruel World

By Lexy10 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Lexy10 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

In a world where there is no fighting...A world where it isn’t cruel...A world where everyone is treated equally. What would that world look like? I would’ve loved to seen a world like that. But my world came crashing down around me.

They said no one could’ve predicted this to happen. But I did, and so did lots of others. But would anyone listen? No. And now look at what’s happened. After the First World War you would’ve thought that everyone learned their lesson, but no. After the Second World War, did we learn our lesson? No.

What’s the point of learning from our past if we’re just doomed to repeat ourselves? I, an ordinary highschool girl, could’ve told you that the next time there was a World War we’d destroy ourselves. So you can’t tell me that all the politicians twice my age couldn’t have predicted that. Yet look at where we are now.

That ordinary everyday lifestyle I lived, getting up early dragging my feet out of bed just to get ready for school is no more. Now I drag my feet to keep running--running for my life.

That sitting in class waiting for the bell to ring to go to my next class is no more. Now I sit and wait in basements of old empty houses waiting to see if I live or die the next time a bomb drops. That family that I would see every night when everyone came home is no more. Now I sit alone with no one to comfort me, both fearing death, but at the same time accepting it cause then I’ll get to see those I love again.

Why, why, someone please tell me why. Tell me why you took everything from me. Are you done fighting over racism, religion, politics, and what not? To hell with all of those problems. I don’t give a damn what color your skin is, where you’re from, what you believe in, none of it was any good reason to fight! I just want my family back! I just want my life back! But because of all these problems you took it all away from me! What did I do to deserve this?!

Some people were racist, some people were against certain religions, yes I know. But what about those who weren’t? What about those who were accepting of anyone? I was that person, yet I was the one you took everything from. I don’t think I’m better than everyone or anyone. I’m just me. But no one could see people like me because they were too focused on the people who were racist, and against someone’s religion.

Now look at where the world’s problems have gotten us. World War three...The War that destroyed us all. Nothing’s left now. I don’t know when the last time I saw an actual person was. Food, you get what you can find, and most of the time that’s not a lot. The air is definitely polluted now, there always seems to be a cloud of dust looming in the air like fog that won’t ever go away. Buildings have fallen to nothing but ruble, any buildings left could give way any second.

So to all the people still left out there in the world, I have but two questions for you...Are you ashamed at what has happened? And are you done yet? I am, so this is goodbye to a cruel world.