Icicles | Teen Ink

Icicles

January 31, 2009
By Rachel617 SILVER, Framingham, Massachusetts
Rachel617 SILVER, Framingham, Massachusetts
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars, and in the middle, you see the blue center-light pop, and everybody goes ahh..."
—Jack Kerouac, On the Road


The shadow of the iciceles frightened me at first. They glared through the blinds when the lights went out. But as I crawled into bed I became fond of the idea of icicles hanging outside my window. Now when my killer comes during the night they maight catch him before I do.
I toss and turn as I force myself to dream. The plans set up in my head never seem to work. The night grows darker. I hear my parents enter thier room, the house goes dark. Moon light remains as the only glow left in my room.
Turning, turning so much. I need to go to sleep. Midnight comes and my mind floats around drearily. CREAK! What was that? A noise from the wood breaks and sends shivers down my spine. Thump. I hear it now. Thump. The beating of what only could be my murderer outside. I know it. A man is right outside my window. Do I are look? The shadows of the icicles remain.
One A.M. comes closer and I muster up some courage. Slowly I edge towards my window. The blinds rise only engough for my eyes to peer through. Nothing. Only the light from the streetlamp sticks out in the darkness. So I close my window and rest my eyes. School is very close now, I need sleep. A car drives by. I see the lights. I feel the roaring of the engine. Is it slowing down? It has to be, I do not feel it anymore. No. It passed by. Do i dare check?
The street lamp still remains as the only life outside my window. I stare, waiting for something to happen. I yearn for it, only so I can confirm my suspicions. Nothing. I need sleep. I lay my head on the pillow waiting for dreams to whisp me away from the horrors outside my window, but the dreams never come. Slowly I try to drift off to sleep, anxiously awaiting the nest noise of night.
The shadow of the icicles never ceases to scare me.