A New World | Teen Ink

A New World

By squad.stew BRONZE, Zionsvile, Indiana
squad.stew BRONZE, Zionsvile, Indiana

A New World
     One hot summer day I was playing outside with my friend when my Dad called me into the house for a family meeting.”Hey, buddy. Come inside your mom and I need to talk to you.” he said. I said bye to my friend, and went inside to see my family already there gathered around the table. I lived with my Mom, Dad, and two younger sisters, Audrey and Anna. My Mom's face was gloom and sad along with my Dad too. My sisters and I didn't know what the meeting was about, but based on looks of Mom and Dad it didn't seem good. There was silence for a minute or two, my sisters and I shifting in our chairs, then finally Dad spoke. He started off by talking about us and then him and Mom and how he loved us, but then he started to get to the point. He pulled a book off the seat of his chair and opened it up. The book was a picture book that looked familiar to me. Dad started to read about how when people get married sometimes people move away and that if they do move away they'll always love us. Then Dad said something I'd never forget. Dad said, “Your mother and I are getting a divorce.”
     My sisters and I looked at him with a face of confusion then Mom told us what divorce meant. Mom said that a divorce is when two people who are married decide they don't want to be married anymore. Mom said that her and Dad weren't going to be living in the same house anymore and that Dad was moving out. I was seven, Audrey was five, and Anna was three, so we didn't really understand what was happening. My parents went on to say that they had worked something out so that we would still see Dad, but only every other weekend.
     I was starting to get sad as I thought about the divorce more. The thought of us not being one big family anymore was really upsetting. I had a lot of questions for my parents like, where would Dad live, and why did my parents not want to live together anymore? I didn't want to ask them these questions because I was scared of the response I might get. Dad told me I could go back outside to play, but Dad told me I couldn't tell my friends about the divorce.
     I go outside and the warmth of the sun hits me like a bullet from a gun. It finally hit me. The idea that my parents not living together anymore was unbearable. I couldn't understand, was it me that caused this all? I walk up to my friend's house and knock on the door, “KNOCK KNOCK”. My friend Carter comes to the door and invites me inside. His mom notices the pale look on my face. “Is something wrong?” she says. I reply with, “No I'm alright, just a little tired.”, I smile a bit so they can't tell I'm sad.
     Carter and I go upstairs to play his Game Cube. “Maybe you could have dinner at our house tonight!” Carter says excitedly. “I don't know, I respond, My parents are kind of in a bad mood.” Carter and I are playing his Game Cube when he looks at me and says, “Are you okay? You look sick.” It was true, I was pale as white copy paper, my eyes drooping. I wanted to tell Carter but Dad told me not to. “I'm alright, just tired” I said.
     After about an hour of playing at Carter's house, Dad came to the door and told me I needed to come home and have dinner. I said bye to Carter and left. I was walking down the street with Dad. “Do you have any questions about earlier?” he asked. “Well yeah, I do.” Well, what do you want to ask?” ask Dad.  Before I think about it I shout “Why don't you and Mom love each other anymore?!” Dad just looked at me and sighed. “Your mother and I don't not love each other anymore. We just think its best if we don't live together anymore.” said Dad. “Let's go eat dinner now.” I say okay and we go inside.
     Dinner is quieter than anything I've ever heard. Every gulp, clink of a fork, and chewing sound is heard. We all finish up dinner and head to our rooms for the rest of the night. I go into my room, lay on my bed, and just sit there for hours. I slowly start to drift off into dreams of happiness where the world is worry free. I'm out and dreaming just like that. The last thing I remember is, it's a new world.

I was inspired to write this because this is n event that actually happened in my life.