The bike ride | Teen Ink

The bike ride

By christianostrander BRONZE, Turlock, California
christianostrander BRONZE, Turlock, California

Chad woke up one morning and watched the beautiful sunrise. Chad lived in a apartment building in tohoku japan and always woke up early to watch the sunrise. When he was done with breakfast he had plans to meet up with fred and go on a bike ride along the arakawa river. Chad pulled out his bike and road down two the corner store where he would meet up with fred. When he got there fred wasn't there so he waited and waited and fred still didn't show up. So chad road his bike down to fred's house. When he got there fred was in his garage working on his bike. Chad said “how's it going fred”, “not so good my bike tire is flat” said fred. Well that’s alright we can just hang out here said chad. So they stayed at fred's house.

Chad was sitting at fred's house on the coach when he started to notice that his picture frames started rattling. For the third time that week they were having a earthquake. Earthquakes happen quit a bit in japan and they weren't very worried. Once it was past a minute and a half fred looked and chad and said “its just getting worse lets go outside”. Chad and fred know that how long an earthquake lasts is a decent proxy for its magnitude. So they did chad took his bike with him just in case. Chad looked at his watch and it was a quarter till three. Then they realized that they have to get out of there and fred did not have a bike to ride. Once the earthquake ended lots of houses and buildings were destroyed. Chad knew he had to get out of there quick and make it to higher grounds.

Chad let Fred get on his handle bars. That didn't work very well for them so Fred ran while chad road his bike. Chad started speeding up to the point where chad couldn't keep up anymore. Soon enough chad couldn't find Fred anymore. The whole city was in the streets trying to leave at once. There was a blocking up ahead and every one was stopped. Chad saw a young woman named sam that he use to play cards with every Monday nights. “Hey Sam is that you” said chad. “Hi chad yes it is me Sam”. “Well I know a better route to take then this one, follow me”. Sam was on a bike too and she caught up with chad and they started riding towards the hills.

The roads were very bumpy but they still managed to ride over them quick. At this point chad forgot about Fred and knew he wouldn't make it to higher grounds by foot. Lots of car blockages in the streets making it difficult for some people to get buy. They knew that they had around 30 minutes to get to higher elevation before the Tsunami would hit. Sam followed closely to chad and soon enough they were out of the city and could see the large hill that they have to make it up to be safe from the Tsunami. They had at least a 15 minute bike ride and they already spent a lot of time riding thru the city. By that time chad almost forgot that Sam was even following him therefore he wanted to make it to high grounds in time. At this point its more of a save yourself kind of situation.

Chad new all he had to do was to make it too high grounds and he would be fine. The uphill ride was tiring and very hard on our bikes. Chad looked back and could see the whole city and saw the ocean's current pushing into the city. Soon enough sam and chad were riding side by side and made it to the the temporary tsunami assembly area where there were lots of other people and medics. He couldn't believe what was happening and took a minute to think and new if he tried to help fred there was no way he would of made it out of the inundation zone. By that time the whole city was almost under water and him and sam were just glad they made it out of there alive.